Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

Old 05-08-2010, 07:42 AM
E for Engourged.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4BangerCivic has disabled reputation
Default Re: 1987 Honda XL250R Overhaul -- Pics Galore --- Minimalist's Garage

You can rent one for me if you want. No $.
Old 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM
Band

paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket paperassgasket

That's awesome! I'm in a similar situation myself. I've never put a wrench to a bike before, but recently I said fuck it and bought a 77 CB 750.
It didn't run when I got it, and still doesn't but it's getting there. I adjusted teh cam chain, valve lash (was TERRIBLE!) rebuilt the carbs, and last night I finally got spark to the plugs after about 4 hours of rewiring.

skr00zloose is right. The best way to do it is to just start ripping shit apart. However... it also helps to document everything really well. Take pics of everything before and while you're pulling it apart. Otherwise you might do what I did: tear the carbs apart, then a week later when you finally have time to put them back together, scratch your head and say "where the hell does this piece go?"

Good luck dood! Your workshop looks awesome btw.
Old 05-13-2010, 01:26 PM
Banned

UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn UrGrlGveMeDkBrn

Originally Posted by 4BangerCivic
Oh yeah - and I have ZERO wrenching experience, so if this thing EVER gets put back together and/or running I'll be amazed.
I call bullshit on this post! Someone with 0 wrenching experience don't use or own torque wrench's. Oh and more pictures of the clam.
Old 05-16-2010, 04:28 PM
E for Engourged.

Originally Posted by jebsurf
I call bullshit on this post! Someone with 0 wrenching experience don't use or own torque wrench's. Oh and more pictures of the clam.
Ask some old heads on here - I am wrench incompetent. I bought my torque wrench on a whim one day off of craigslist for $60.

I was about to start reassembling the other day - having decided tha I didn't feel like finding out where that tiny cap is supposed to go. Then I realized what a terrible idea this is. It's probably part of the oil system, most likely from within the crank case, where it fell out of. So I said fuck it and decided to split the crankcase. I bought a full gasket set so I'd might as well change out that one that is ~20+yr old. I was originally trying to avoid breaking into the crankcase because I dont' feel competent enough - but after disassembling everything inside the RH crank case cover - I'm feeling confident. Also - got all new oil seals so I want to replace them while I got this bitch apart. Want to check all bearings, obviously.

Excited to get her open. I was in the process of splitting the case a few days ago and stripped one of the hex bolts securing the halves. I don't have a dremmel in my apt so i'm going to head over to a buddies tomorrow to get a slit cut in her so I can get it out. Already ordered a replacement from honda.

Fun!
Old 05-16-2010, 04:34 PM
yes sir

rollingstock has disabled reputation

i did the same thing to my 72 xl250 but never found that cap piece nor did i see one anywhere in the motor..
Old 05-26-2010, 05:35 AM
E for Engourged.

So I've been trying to split these crankcase halves, and was taking hex bolts out. Well, after I got all the bolts out an dcouldn't split them still - i was informed I hadn't removed like, ANYTHING that I was supposed to:

Before:

After:

Additionally, I was informed I needed to remove the cover on the other side:

(flywheel should not have to come off, but I'm goign to remove it anyways in the event that I want to install new crank bearings)

I might take the crankcase to my local cycle shop today to have them split the halves, because I STILL can't get them to seperate.
Old 05-29-2010, 02:41 PM
E for Engourged.

Casey Cycle City removed my flywheel and split the case for a little over $30. As of right now, we still have not found the home for this mystery cap. From what I can tell, only one bearing needs to be replaced.

Old 06-02-2010, 12:46 PM
E for Engourged.

So I'm going to be taking out all the shafts this week to check the bearings in the LH crank case. So far, two from the right need to be replaced. Depending on how expensive they are - I'll probably end up replacing all of them (unless they're ourtageously priced, i have no money). Luckily one of the guys from ADVrider told me I can wrap packing tape around the 3 shafts on the left (of the picture above) and remove them as one unit. Nothing gets jostled, everything stays linked. Woot!
Old 06-05-2010, 06:48 AM
E for Engourged.

The bearings are ~$12-25 a piece, so I'm going to be replacing all of them. As well as all the piston rings, and the clutch nut, and a few bolts I stripped on the road so far.
Old 06-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Fighterer

Abysalone will become famous soon enough

seems like that plug is a welch plug from an oil passage. without it blocking the drilled passage the bike wont build oil pressure. Have a look at an oil flow schematic to see if you can locate it. similar to cam plugs in a V8