Notices
Cycle Corner Running with two less wheels than everyone else? This forum is for you.

02 R6 running poorly

Old 03-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars
Default 02 R6 running poorly

So I'm gonna do what every man knows NEVER to do, and admit that I'm not good with carburetors. One of my current projects is an 02 R6, that among other things, needs work on the carbs.
It's running very rich (can see the unburned gas coming out the exhaust), and bogs down at about 7k rpm once it's warmed up. The revs hang for a few seconds after you let off the throttle, regardless of where it's at in the rpm range. It has a stock exhaust and K&N filter at the moment.
I've pulled the carbs, but haven't taken em that much apart yet since I wanna avoid having to get new gaskets if possible- can't find any rebuild kits online. They're pretty clean from what I can tell.
So I need ideas. Right now I'm thinkin it's been rejetted and needs to go back to smaller jets, or the carbs are out of sync. But I don't trust my own opinion since I don't know shit about carbs- so what do you guys think- what's the first step toward fixing it?
Thanks
Old 03-31-2011, 08:20 PM
TRIED HIS GT!

FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT FairladyZTT
Default Re: 02 R6 running poorly

Need to possibly get some gasket material from the auto parts store and some razor blades. Then just cut yourself some new gaskets if you can't find a kit. But the carb should be cleaned before you take them to be sync'd. That and with a carb engine on a bike... I think that with the higher revs.. It is supposed to be getting the ram air effect. Which at a stand still is not happening.

I am not positive though, so take what I am saying with a grain of salt as I primarily work on fuel injected bikes.

I just know that without having the carbs sync'd like they should be, the bike is going to run like butt. I would do everything that I could in the way of prepping the bike and cleaning it out. Clean the carbs ... The filter... Change the plugs... Change the fuel filter... And make sure everything is put together nice and tight. But leave the airbox off and take the bike to a shop to sync the carbs. Once that is done... You should be able to put the bike back together at minimal costs to you, since there won't be as much labor of taking the bike apart.

Last edited by FairladyZTT; 03-31-2011 at 08:36 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:25 PM
Chica Pah, Chica Pah

coyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond reputecoyote.v5.0 has a reputation beyond repute

don't know if this will help but you can look it over at your own peril. Carbs....eesh. Good luck danyo sun.

http://www.r6messagenet.com/forums/r...rburetors.html
Old 04-08-2011, 06:55 AM
Registered Member

Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars Lars

rebuilt the carbs and all, but now the bike won't start period, as if it's not getting fuel. I'm thinking the jet needs are too far in the jet holders, but who knows. Since the jet needles are not adjustable, I'm wondering if I need to unscrew the jet holders a little bit to get the needles out. Does anybody happen to know the specification for setting the jet holders? Should I screw them all the way in, or have them out a few turns?