Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

White collar, blue collar, flannel collar workers...

Old 03-23-2004, 11:31 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Post White collar, blue collar, flannel collar workers...

White collar worker on Friday in Innsbrook, blue collar worker emptying 3 Lowes stores on Saturday, flannel collar worker on Satuday evening, all day Sunday, and all day Monday.

Interesting to note how people treat you differently when you are wearing a pressed shirt and carrying a clipboard on a construction site, then switch to ripped up jeans and a dirty work jacket to shop at Lowes. Speaking broken Spanglish with day laborers onsite wearing layered flannel and swinging hammers brings a new perspective as well as to how people view you.

Okay, so everyone knew I was the purchaser of the new home and that I was there to do some work. Brought some sodas for the workers (as a courtesy, never arrive empty handed) and asked the foreman's and crew leader's permission each time I went onsite.

Whenever meeting with the foreman about business related issues, dressed in business casual or jeans and a pressed shirt. When discussing making my own modifications or special requests, helps to be wearing flannel and jeans. Interesting to note how one person reacts differently depending how you dress.

Was surprised by how well I was treated in Lowes while looking for very specific parts when not dressed in "business casual". I call it the "buddy" effect. People appear more likely to help out a buddy than a boss.

When onsite with the day laborers and skilled workers, we were all joking around even when they knew I was "el jefe". They asked for my opinion on nearly all wiring placement decisions that would otherwise be made at random for other homes. They let me borrow some of their tools, fired up a generator just for me, and even did some fancy trick wiring for a cleaner install rather than a quick fix. Maybe it's the "amigo" effect.

Anyways, am sure each of you has noticed on some level in the past if you think about it how you are treated by the image you project. First impressions count quite a bit as they set the standard of expectations before you have a chance to prove yourself through actions or words. Wanted to post up something for a topic of conversation since experiencing the drastic viewpoints in one weekend.
Old 03-23-2004, 04:45 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam
Default Re: White collar, blue collar, flannel collar workers...

I agree 100%.

In a quasi-related story...sometimes when I'd be coming back from VCU and I'd be in college kid clothes I'd stop by a parts store and be treated like a moron college kid that was asking for a part he was told to get. And some days when I am working on my car and wearing my old Richmond Ford uniform its as if they arent as sarcastic and know I know what I'm talking about........stupid them. Kind of the same concept.....minus immigrant construction workers.

Anyways, I feel where you are coming from.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:03 PM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T

Well, when I wear my street clothes, everybody thinks I'm an idiot. But when I wear my work clothes, everybody thinks I'm an idiot.
Old 03-23-2004, 07:05 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Originally Posted by Brian T
Well, when I wear my street clothes, everybody thinks I'm an idiot. But when I wear my work clothes, everybody thinks I'm an idiot.
Old 03-23-2004, 11:56 PM
Banned

LOCO is an unknown quantity at this point

try never getting any help at a car dealership cuz they think your a young punk kid that can't buy shit.

I go to take a mazdaspeed protege out for a test drive today, I go look at it, then ask the guy fro a ride, he then tells me I cannot afford it, and would not have good enough credit. It was $21,000, ummm I think I can handle that lol.

so i tell him that i could and to run my credit and if it was good enough, which I know it is, I get the car for free, he laughs at me and I procede to say"fuck you" and throw up a finger, and then laugh at him for missing a sale and leave, in a cloud of smoke of course lol.

i head to sheey ford to check out the stangs (u know it lol) and could I get any help?? nope, old couple pulls out, they come running to them, another fuck you, finger up and tires rolling and i was gone.

sux when you spent years playing your money right and getting very good credit and being able to manage it well, when you can't use it cuz your only 20, and nobody thats 20 can ever afford a new car :lame:
Old 03-24-2004, 12:22 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by LOCO
try never getting any help at a car dealership cuz they think your a young punk kid that can't buy shit.

I go to take a mazdaspeed protege out for a test drive today, I go look at it, then ask the guy fro a ride, he then tells me I cannot afford it, and would not have good enough credit. It was $21,000, ummm I think I can handle that lol.

so i tell him that i could and to run my credit and if it was good enough, which I know it is, I get the car for free, he laughs at me and I procede to say"fuck you" and throw up a finger, and then laugh at him for missing a sale and leave, in a cloud of smoke of course lol.

i head to sheey ford to check out the stangs (u know it lol) and could I get any help?? nope, old couple pulls out, they come running to them, another fuck you, finger up and tires rolling and i was gone.

sux when you spent years playing your money right and getting very good credit and being able to manage it well, when you can't use it cuz your only 20, and nobody thats 20 can ever afford a new car :lame:
wear dress clothes and carry a briefcase. the salesman will flock to you
Old 03-24-2004, 01:01 AM
DILLIGAF?

BadBeck is an unknown quantity at this point

try being female....its a whole diff ball game.

age old story. nothing new there-get on same level as people or appear to and act human, not like a dick, and you'd be amazed.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:40 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
wear dress clothes and carry a briefcase. the salesman will flock to you
Old 03-24-2004, 05:42 AM
superuser

Salesmen look at your shirt when they approach you. When shaking hands, they look at your watch, then shoes. You can tell quite a bit about a person from those three items. Don't believe me? My little bro makes six figures as a salesman and this is what his mentors taught him. First impressions carry.
Old 03-24-2004, 05:48 AM
Arm
WTF is Photoshop!?

Arm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the rough

I had the same BS problem when i went to sheehy not to long ago, even when i walked inside it took like 2 mins to get someone to answer some questions for me.

Quick Reply: White collar, blue collar, flannel collar workers...