Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

West End Repair Shop (Ford Contour)

Old 09-18-2009, 02:31 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts
Default West End Repair Shop (Ford Contour)

My DD 1997 Ford Contour has been acting kinda funny the past few days (battery light lightly flashing intermitently) and then after getting to work this morning when I tried to re-start it the car clicked...but definitely no starting.

Then after work (9 hours later) I had a buddy jump the car and everything was working fine. I get 4 miles down the road and the Tachometer is jumping from zero to the correct reading and I can see the battery light flashing very dimly every so often. Then the car gets sluggish and dies. I call the GF and we try to jump it, but this time with zero luck at all.

I am going to call AAA in the morning, but I am looking for a good shop in the West End that isn't going to cost a ton to fix the alternator (what I think is the issue) or whatever is wrong.

Is there a good shop on Broad or somewhere in the West end that you all have had luck with fixing your car without charging alot?

Thanks..
Old 09-18-2009, 03:42 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: West End Repair Shop (Ford Contour)

Bad ground, bad battery, or bad alternator. Take the battery to any auto shop like pep boys or autozone, they have a tester (free). Grab a flashlight and look for the ground. If you have time, get the alternator checked as it may not be charging the battery.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered Member

95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts95RogueM3 is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Digital4N6
Bad ground, bad battery, or bad alternator. Take the battery to any auto shop like pep boys or autozone, they have a tester (free). Grab a flashlight and look for the ground. If you have time, get the alternator checked as it may not be charging the battery.
I assume its almost got to be a combination of the alternator and now battery (as a result of being run with zero re-charging). The car is located on a side-street where it started to die, and I was planning on going and peeking around tomorrow and also calling AAA to tow it somewhere. Apparently the alternator replacement on the contour is something terrible (requires removing the axle in some instances)...and I'll likely just have a local shop take a look and tell me whats up. If its going to be crazy $$, I will just buy another car.

Im right near the Village shopping center.
Old 09-18-2009, 09:41 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Might be the alternator which ruined the battery with no charge, but at least check the wires to the alternator, then have a shop test the alternator (some might be able to do it while in the car). If it's the alternator, it is a major pain.

Here's the instructions on how to do it.
Old 09-19-2009, 04:29 AM
VaDriven Mayhem

Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous Lord Humongous

IT's the alternator.

Ask me how I know
Old 09-19-2009, 06:51 AM
Registered Member

I'm pretty sure as well. We'll know later today hopefully.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:10 AM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Check the power cables from the battery to the main junction block, the harness is garbage on contours here. They crack, break, & eventually become completely exposed
Old 09-19-2009, 07:11 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boost Happy
Check the power cables from the battery to the main junction block, the harness is garbage They crack, break, & eventually become completely exposed
But wouldn't that have prevented the car from being jumped yesterday afternoon?
Old 09-19-2009, 07:15 AM
www.TeamDOHC.org

Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy Boost Happy

Originally Posted by 95RogueM3
But wouldn't that have prevented the car from being jumped yesterday afternoon?
Yep, It sure will. I fix them often at work. It's not going to be able to jump if the connection is open to the main block but It maybe shorted, which is more common which can allow for jumps but wont keep charge.. There 4 wires coming off just the positive terminal

EDITED

Last edited by Boost Happy; 09-19-2009 at 07:18 AM.
Old 09-19-2009, 07:16 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Boost Happy
Yep, It sure will. I fix them often at work. It's not going to be able to jump if the connection is open to the main block but
Exactly and I was able to jump it at 5:30pm last night. Then I think I must have killed the battery driving it without the alternator and I couldn't rejump it.

Thanks for the pointers...

Quick Reply: West End Repair Shop (Ford Contour)