Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Trying to find a car is more difficult than I expected

Old 08-18-2006, 07:01 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GripSpec has disabled reputation
Default Trying to find a car is more difficult than I expected

As some of you know I had a great deal of problems with my WRX that no one including CarMax (where the car was purchased) could seem to fix. After months and months it came down to them offering me a very good offer to buy it back and I took it.

So now I'm in the market and can't seem to find anything decent, so i'm looking for opinions and suggestions. After not being able break a tire loose in 2 years I'm looking for a sporty rear wheel drive car that will hopefully be reliable as well. Here are the cars That i've been looking at and the pro's and cons that i've found:

2000 - 2002 Toyota MR2 - I like the way the car handles and I can fit in it fairly well. I like the styling. I dont like the fact that there doesnt seem to be as much aftermarket support as some other cars, and the engine bay seems quite cramped. They also seem very hard to find

1999 - 2002 Mazda Miata - great aftermarket support, loved the way it drove, but my head touches the roof so that kinda knocks it out, even though i love the car.

1995 - 1998 Nissan 240sx - This seems like the post practical to me Has some room but still a very fun car with great aftermartket support. The problem is I really don't trust all of these SR swapped cars because its such a shot in the dark. It could turn out fine, but you also could have a lot of problems. Most also seem to have a good amount of miles. The one thing is that this is a good chance to have both the power that i'm used to from the wrx and handling that the wrx never could have copied. I'n my eyes thats the perfect combo, I just really worry about the reliability of an older car with a swapped engine. I guess I could try to find one with the stock KA but i think i'd get bored very easily.

Honda S2000 - out of price range / insurance killer

Nissan 350z - out of price range / insurance killer

I know that most of you own / have owned some of the cars listed above so I thought this would be a decent place toget some suggestions. If you guys can offer any help or opinions that would be great.
Old 08-18-2006, 07:17 PM
to poor to be patron

lookattheAC has disabled reputation
Default Re: Trying to find a car is more difficult than I expected

its a MR2's stopped in 95 now its a Mr2-Spyder lol just my .02
Old 08-18-2006, 07:20 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

Id say go with the MR2 man.. mid-engine, RWD.. it's not very bad at all. thats what I would choose.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:09 PM
MoltenMetalFuzion

GoldenLeg13 has disabled reputation

If you were canceling out the miata because of head room then I think you should take a look at the brand new miatas. They are a few hundred pounds heavier but they still move like a mini rocket and has a very surprising amount of room. I am 6'3 and I had plenty of room to spare in that car.

Also, have you considered the Mazda Speed 6?

*Edit- Just saw you wanted to get away from AWD.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:17 PM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

i have a s14 for sale, link is in sig, very neg
Old 08-18-2006, 08:23 PM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

I would go for a SR swapped 240sx from a trusted person, I obviously dont know l8apex but he seems to move some weight around and seems pretty trustworthy. I would take his 240 over any of the random ones you always see pop up on here. Ever think about a GTI?
Old 08-18-2006, 08:50 PM
Registered Member

Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R Jason R

go for an early '90s Nissan hardbosy pick up truck and swap in an SR.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:58 PM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

Originally Posted by streetlamp
I would go for a SR swapped 240sx from a trusted person, I obviously dont know l8apex but he seems to move some weight around and seems pretty trustworthy. I would take his 240 over any of the random ones you always see pop up on here. Ever think about a GTI?
thanks, i have all the paper work, receipts, leakdown and compression testers here ect. and i can also have greaser come look over it again, ect
Old 08-18-2006, 10:50 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Why not an F-body? ...start with something fast.
Old 08-18-2006, 11:19 PM
Where's the snow?

Chief_Rocka is an unknown quantity at this point

I vote 240 because of vast aftermarket support and chance of SR swap later if you ever get bored...good luck finding what you want

Quick Reply: Trying to find a car is more difficult than I expected