Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Toolboxes, cardboard sheets, and local store?

Old 04-08-2005, 11:16 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Question Toolboxes, cardboard sheets, and local store?

Decided to re-line my rollaround toolboxes with cardboard based on my brother's suggestion.

Need something to wick away moisture and oil from the tools while protecting the drawers themselves. The mesh liners are good to keep tools from sliding around but just using the mesh crap alone creates pockets of dirt and grease.

He uses sheets of cardboard in his cabinets with the mesh liners on top. Cardboard is easily replaced when soaked and the mesh lets the crap drip down off of the tools. Corregated cardboard appears to have enough absorbance as not to go through to the drawer itself unless you tip over a can of stuff. Can also put down some stuff under the cardboard to absorb moisture or just throw in one of those silica packets that come in a variety of store packaged stuff (shoes, computers, etc).

Thought I'd pass along this helpful tip to others and ask this simple question: where can I get some decent sheets of cardboard that are (my drawer sizes) 18"x30" ? Need at least 18 of them. Was looking around for some used boxes to cut up from local businesses but nearly all topped out at 24" in size. Would rather not try to piece these sheets together which would result in bumps or gaps. Are there any craft-type stores that sell sheets of cardboard cheap? Am trying to avoid going to uHaul and buying overpriced moving boxes.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:57 AM
NEO VVL N1 BITCHES

JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot JJSpinALot
Default Re: Toolboxes, cardboard sheets, and local store?

my company gets cardboard everyday about 3' by 4' and bigger if you need some let me know. and i just clean my tools before i put them back its not that hard to do.
Old 04-09-2005, 12:51 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Thanks! Yeah, could I swing by your shop and pick up a few sheets? PM me with location and I'll meet you whenever it's best for you. Thanks again!

A buddy of mine found some conveyor belt material approx 36-40" wide that has several thin layers of canvas and rubber that will go great on my workbenches. It was at an iron scrapyard, of all places!
Old 04-10-2005, 04:32 PM
Man in the BOX

Alice_in_Chains is an unknown quantity at this point

I have tons of like new boxes, east end.