VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Central VA (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/)
-   -   Some help with my driveway (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/central-va-15/some-help-my-driveway-430038/)

hondahead 02-07-2012 04:48 PM

Some help with my driveway

I am looking for some advice/experience with building a driveway. I don't really have $3500 to get someone to do it. Anyone one here have or prefer a place to rent a Bobcat? All I need to do is dig up a few inches, spread gravel, and grade. Please no flaming or smart ass comments as I just bought a house last year and want to not get filthy when wrenching.

Thanks VaDriven!

Computer_Nerd 02-08-2012 03:41 AM

Re: Some help with my driveway

Originally Posted by hondahead (Post 7619913)
I am looking for some advice/experience with building a driveway. I don't really have $3500 to get someone to do it. Anyone one here have or prefer a place to rent a Bobcat? All I need to do is dig up a few inches, spread gravel, and grade. Please no flaming or smart ass comments as I just bought a house last year and want to not get filthy when wrenching.

Thanks VaDriven!

:facepalm:

you also need to tamp the edges and use a roller on the gravel bed.

put an ad on craigslist with the dimensions of the intended driveway, location, and picture of the area. pay half up front, half upon completion or third up front, third upon material delivery, third upon completion. should get a bunch of contractors bidding while it's still cold out before prices skyrocket in spring/summer.

Tainty_McFshStx 02-08-2012 04:57 AM

+juan

-JB- 02-08-2012 04:59 AM

A lot of times you can find contractors with to much material from a previous job that will do a driveway cheaper to get rid of the material, especially asphalt. No fun crawling around on gravel to work on a car.

Hammer Down 02-08-2012 04:59 AM

Everything Digital said except for the part of paying up front. I would pay a small percentage like 10 or 20% upon contract signing.

Lets see here:
Skid steer for a day = 200.00 + 150 delivery & pickup + 8-10 gallons of diesel. (and that under the impression you know how to operate and grade)
Depending on how much stone you need. And what kind of stone you are looking to go with. You can use crush and run but I think you could use #78's or #57's that have a 99% compaction rate just when dumped out. So lets say 1 truck of 20 ton #78's cost around 290-340 delivered. Each ton should cover 2" deep approximately 120 square feet per ton. Spread it and roll over it with the skid steer and call it a day.

You dont need a tamper or a roller with 5's or 7's, but I would recommend a 6 mil poly under the driveway area to keep grass from growing up.
These are my prices as I am a contractor, so expect to pay a bit more for being a homeowner.

hondahead 02-08-2012 05:51 AM

Hammer Down, would you be willing to give me a quote on my driveway? My driveway is 20' wide by 60' deep. PM me if you might be interested in doing this I would very much appreciate this. So far I have had 3 contractors tell me just to grade and gravel would be $3500. From what my neighbors have told me that was pretty steep so I am just seeing what options I have.

Thanks VA

Hammer Down 02-08-2012 07:02 AM

Well, at the moment I am slammed with insurance work, what I will do is pm you a name and number of my excavator. Honest guy, fair prices, has the equipment to haul / grade, and honestly would do a better job than I would. I specialize in rough and finish carpentry.

hondahead 02-08-2012 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Hammer Down (Post 7620859)
Well, at the moment I am slammed with insurance work, what I will do is pm you a name and number of my excavator. Honest guy, fair prices, has the equipment to haul / grade, and honestly would do a better job than I would. I specialize in rough and finish carpentry.

Thanks man! I am a custom cabinet fabricator/carpenter and do a lot of remodeling and interior stuff so I don't have much experience doing stuff like the driveway. I have assisted on some stuff but don't quite have the confidence to do it all on my own. Thank you once again!

BOREDOMRULE 02-08-2012 09:09 AM

Tony,
I redid my driveway myself with a landscape tractor and 17 tons of gravel. <$800 total.

hondahead 02-08-2012 04:38 PM

Damn that is nice! How much coverage did you get with 17 tons of gravel? If my math is right 17 tons should be what I need with extra.