Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

So I blew apart a 20A switch today in a blue fireball...

Old 10-01-2006, 04:55 PM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Arrow So I blew apart a 20A switch today in a blue fireball...

Popped it right good, just as a cop was walking up the driveway. Nice timing. Anyways, was wiring up a 20 amp switch outside and figured that all of the wiring was correct. Not going to get too technical on here about the wiring, but thing that something was wrong with the switch itself.

If you are an electrician and could stop by the I-295/I-95/Woodman Rd/Parham Rd area after 6pm on a weekday to check out the wiring, please let me know. Would rather not get popped again and need to get this finished off.

Thanks!
Old 10-01-2006, 04:58 PM
Registered Member

taco is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: So I blew apart a 20A switch today in a blue fireball...

I'm not an electrician but know enough to handle a 110v switch. How did you have it hooked up?
Old 10-01-2006, 04:59 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Wiring a 20A line from the breaker box to the switch, then to an outlet, then from the outlet to two 20A outlets on the back fence. At the time the switch blew, only the switch and outlet were connected, the lines to the two outlets on the fence were not connected.

Mothra and Kamacuras came to check it out. Props if you know those JDM references.
Old 10-02-2006, 05:01 PM
superuser

Got the switch and the switched outlet working. Have two GFCI outlets wired up (independently) to the posts on the switched outlet. The GFCI's don't want to work. The outlet is fine.

Code:
outlet diagram

--{oo}-- hot post                                   {on}-- from breaker
  {` }    common is pair on other side               ||
--{oo}-- hot post                                    ||
  {` }-- neutral post                               {off}-- to outlet
The lower hot (black wire) post has two places to push the wires from behind with a screw to tighten. Those are going to the GFCI's. Same with the common (white wire) on the opposite side. Did this to eliminate a piggy wire and cap in the tight fitting box. All wires are 12/3 with the red not being used.

The upper post, I placed the hot wire from the switch on the hot post side and the common wire from the breaker box on the common post side.

What's goign wrong with the GFCI's?

Mods can move this to General Discussion if needed.