Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Shop info: RPM?

Old 04-16-2003, 07:39 AM
rotary desu ne!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DomokunSPL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shop info: RPM?

There is a kid here thats supposedly gonna get his car built by RPM. its a 97-> gst i think hes going t3/t4. Any one know how well RPM is with tunning. do they have a dyno? whats up.
Old 04-16-2003, 12:22 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

I am assuming you are talking about the "RPM" that is on Broad St. a lil ways up from Boulevard? If so....

I have no personal experience with RPM other than my friend getting his Type R "JDM-a-fied" They are also installing a pretty well built, sleeved B18c5 for him with a t3/t4 i believe (Note: They did NOT build the engine, but just are installing it). Making it right hand drive and everything, so they obviously have some skill. I do know that they do not have a dyno at their shop. They might have some deal with others that help them out, but its deffinitly NOT at their shops.

When i was there last they had just put a H22a into a bone stock looking eg hatch, so they obviously do swaps as well.

For your friends application i think i would ask them a TON of questions before handing over the keys. You say "gonna get his car built by RPM"...what exactly does that mean? They are going to rebuild the entire engine? If so i would ask who does their machine work and have your own specs and what not for them to go by.

Kevin - my $.02
Old 04-17-2003, 06:59 AM
rotary desu ne!?

Well its not for a friend. so i couldnt care less if they mess it up. hes having them install a larger turbo set-up which is rumord to be a t3/t4 and i'm guessing they are going to tune it. the tunning part is what i'm wondering about. also i believe he has some juice. so its simply gaining some info on the comp. The kid is your typical wants a fast car doesn't know ish sorta deal. We're building a t04e/t3 also but without juice...maybe so if hes going to be running that now. and we're also doing the tunning our selves for the most part. If anyone else has any info feel free to post
Old 04-17-2003, 09:38 PM
H22a All The Way

gtracer2b is an unknown quantity at this point

I know the guy who does the majority of the engine work there, have my personal opinions on him, but I will try to remain objective and stick to the facts. He's got his original roots in the imports scene in working on DSM engines- tuning them, occasional turbo, etc. I think he originally worked as a mechanic for a DSM dealership. The guy can build a nice engine when he stays focused. Problem is, focus is a rareity for him. I know of many cars that he has gotten his hands on that have spent many long months being "built" when in fact they just sat. (I have some personal experience working for the same shop as him) Some cars ended up never getting completed by him, but rather put together by the person who owned the car. Bottom line- hes good when he concentrates, but as he loses interest, workmanship declines and duration is prolonged.

Floda- this Type R friend you mention wouldnt happen to be a white one owned by a kid who currently attends the diesel engine and performance school in Tenessee would it? kinda tall? real nice kid? drove an explorer on 20s or 22s before the teg?
I think we both know him
Old 04-18-2003, 07:12 AM
Registered Member

japspec4g63 is an unknown quantity at this point

actually he has his original roots in hondas. he does good work!
Old 04-18-2003, 07:46 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Originally posted by gtracer2b
Floda- this Type R friend you mention wouldnt happen to be a white one owned by a kid who currently attends the diesel engine and performance school in Tenessee would it? kinda tall? real nice kid? drove an explorer on 20s or 22s before the teg?
I think we both know him
GTRACER2B - Yes, that would be Phil im talking about . How do you know him? I know that Japspec4g63 knows him too..haha.

Oh and could you ask him when the hell his car is going to be finished??? He hasnt been online in a long time and i want to see that car done! Im a fan of JDM R's, and that sucker should be FAST!

-Kevin
Old 04-18-2003, 08:21 PM
H22a All The Way

gtracer2b is an unknown quantity at this point

heh good ole phil- im not sure when its gonna be done, from what i understand things got set back due to an incident the stereo shop had with his car. im eager to see it too, tho i didnt realize he was doin the right hand drive thing.

japspec- who r u, or what do u drive?
Old 04-18-2003, 08:22 PM
Registered Member

japspec4g63 is an unknown quantity at this point

you know me real well. ERIC
Old 04-21-2003, 11:39 AM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

man i hear that wallace automotive off of research road is the place to go for work on hondas. I have heard nothing but good things about that place.
Old 04-22-2003, 06:57 AM
rotary desu ne!?

is it safe to assume that this guy will probly just install a t3/t4 set up on the car and leave the tunning to the kid? I dunno why i ask so much about that car.

Quick Reply: Shop info: RPM?