Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Questions about civilian contracting job offer (OCONUS)

Old 05-21-2009, 12:50 PM
Arm
WTF is Photoshop!?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the rough
Default Questions about civilian contracting job offer (OCONUS)

also posted in off topic

Hey everyone,

I am looking for input from anyone here who works as a civilian contractor in either Iraq or Afghanistan. I just received a job offer from CSC (computer sciences corporation) for a position with BETTS-C here in LOGCAP.

I was personally referred by the project manager for the eastern logcap area and the HR lady emailed me asking if I would be able to fill in a field tech position that will be opening up as I ETS (Army). It would be based at Bagram airfeild but I'd travel to remote sites to work on actual units out in the field. It's a 12 month contract with the ability to extend

I had some questions for those of you with actual experience with OCONUS contract work..

1. I was told that the first 80k I make is completely tax free, and that the other 50k will be taxed. Is that true? If so, how does the taxing work? Is it standard or is it up to some random tax/rate law for being overseas? Forgive my ignorance on the topic. 130k for one year sounds pretty tempting since I won't have any bills by then. I've heard they work you like a slave though? Thoughts?

2. How does leave work? I've heard that as a civilian you get up to a month of leave on a 12 month OCNOUS contract. Any validity to this?

3. How reliable is this "opportunity to extend"?

Thanks for any help, I appreciate it.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:01 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Default Re: Questions about civilian contracting job offer (OCONUS)

Obama plans to change the tax laws for contractors. You will get raped with taxes and be prepared to work very long workweeks.
Old 05-21-2009, 02:10 PM
Arm
WTF is Photoshop!?

Arm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the roughArm is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Questions about civilian contracting job offer (OCONUS)

Thanks for replying, Rich. Do you have any more information on the specifics of this? In addition: is this what everyone is rambling about with Obamas stance on "war profiteering"? The term doesn't seem like it'd match but I'm not the best with politics. No doubt civilian contractors are making serious coin over here right now. Hence my attraction to the work.

Last edited by Arm; 05-21-2009 at 02:22 PM.