Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Nic, Kevin, Jimmy, Lee and other Mustang guys

Old 10-28-2006, 07:14 AM
Slow as Shit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Nic, Kevin, Jimmy, Lee and other Mustang guys

Help me decide.

I want around 425-450 rwhp for a fun street/strip car. I am not sure what I am at now with my current mods. I am not looking at spending a ton of money for a NA Big Bore with heads or cams. Not looking for a H/C package so I can buy a bigger blower either.

I am looking at KB's new 2.1L for the 96-98 4V

or still going with a Nitrous system. The NX kit I want will be around 1k while the blower could be triple that. Granted with my 4.30's that will be a challenge with the KB, but with the suspension I am going with and a tire that could be done.

Whats your take?

Last edited by Woodrow; 10-28-2006 at 07:16 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:15 AM
95cobra/95gsx/99cbr

cobra29svt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Nic, Kevin, Jimmy, Lee and other Mustang guys

i dont know much about the new 2.1's but you shouldnt have any trouble getting 425-450 w/ it. the 96-98's w/ the smaller KB's are usually making around 400. i'd put your stock gears back in or get a set of 3.55's though.
Old 10-28-2006, 08:45 AM
life is good boosted

wheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to all

Originally Posted by cobra29svt
i dont know much about the new 2.1's but you shouldnt have any trouble getting 425-450 w/ it. the 96-98's w/ the smaller KB's are usually making around 400. i'd put your stock gears back in or get a set of 3.55's though.

Yep, what he said. Although I'd say 3.73 or 4.10's...

Not to mention, a blown 4V has a lot better resale potential than one that has had the bottle on it FWIW...although you seem to keep cars longer than I do so maybe that doesn't matter The new KB's are sick !
Old 10-28-2006, 09:07 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Yeah the gearing is what is concerning me. I like my 4.30's but dont want to have to pedal the damn thing everytime I get on it.

I like the new 2.1 as it clears the stock hood unlike the old 1.7 kit.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:53 AM
95cobra/95gsx/99cbr

cobra29svt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by wheelman
Yep, what he said. Although I'd say 3.73 or 4.10's...

Not to mention, a blown 4V has a lot better resale potential than one that has had the bottle on it FWIW...although you seem to keep cars longer than I do so maybe that doesn't matter The new KB's are sick !
well if it was a vortech,paxton,or procharger i would say 3.73's or 4.10's but w/ the KB it will spin constantly. mine is useless in 1st and 2nd gear w/ my stock gears and 295 goodyear supercar tires. the power curve should be comparable to the 03-04 cobras and they came w/ 3.55's. i had to pedal both of my my 03 cobras 'til 3rd on the street w/ decent tires.
Old 10-28-2006, 09:57 AM
Slow as Shit

Well the car will be on Mickey Thompsons as my BFG DR's are worn down. Not sure if that makes a difference. I dont play on the street, but I am more focusing on traction at the track.
Old 10-28-2006, 11:33 AM
life is good boosted

wheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to allwheelman is a name known to all

I'm just referenceing how my buddy's Lincoln with 4.10's and a hot 302 with the 2.2 KB felt. The 4.10's were not too much gear in my opinion. As a matter of fact the clutch gave up before anything else. I'm thinking Phil's curbweight at near 4000lbs with driver and then looking at the 96-98 4V low end torque curve and thinking that 4.10 should be spot on with the KB...I could be wrong...it's happened before....but if would launch well and feel good on the street for sure...3.55's ? Not so much me thinks.....
Old 10-28-2006, 01:15 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Without a doubt, do the supercharger.
Old 10-28-2006, 01:39 PM
Slow as Shit

I am constantly on MF, MPH and MD waiting to get some info from KB on this unit as it is very new and a small few have these already.

I thought about Heads/Cam and a carbed intake setup with Big Stuff COPS but realized thats too much.

I wonder if Kevin has my old dyno as I have misplaced it during my 2 moves. I might dyno the snake tonight, but I doubt it
Old 10-28-2006, 03:37 PM
TERMIN8

ThroatyStang has disabled reputation

Nice choice on the KB Phil. Dont waste your money on N20 it is a consistent money pit, and it isnt the always ON power you have of the KB. You should drive my car some time. The low end power of a Roots style blower are unchallenged by the likes of a centrifical blower or turbo alike. Also most of the guys who go w/ the Hellion TT kits for the 03's get rid of them and go back to the KB, the car just looses the fun you have w/ a roots blower; even though the TT makes more power it just isnt the same. The gears you have right now is wayyy to much gear, like Chad said I am sping all the way though 1, 2, and half way to 3rd w/ 3.55's. Even w/ the MT's you prolly are still going to have traction issues on the street. KB all the way

Quick Reply: Nic, Kevin, Jimmy, Lee and other Mustang guys