Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Local HVAC advice requested

Old 11-27-2004, 09:38 PM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Lightbulb Local HVAC advice requested

Looking for someone who works with HVAC in residential areas. Need advice on system requirements for 550-600 sq ft. 3rd floor that is pre-wired with necessary gas lines, plumbing, and electrical connections. PM me for further details and/or to provide assistance. Thanks.
Old 11-28-2004, 03:10 AM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default Re: Local HVAC advice requested

Check with Tim O.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:28 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Already sent him an e-mail before posting. He worked with commercial HVAC, but may still have contacts in the residential market.
Old 11-28-2004, 01:35 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

I know he was gonna look at Nikki's A/C unit but never got around to it due to his schedule. Then again that was in 2003. Good luck with it.
Old 11-28-2004, 04:24 PM
Stuff n Stuff

240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee 240trainee

Acors HVAC, (804) 745-0594 I used to work there, still do eveyonce and a while. Awsome people, give them a call, they can help you out.
Old 11-28-2004, 07:20 PM
Settled..

ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN ICULOKN

There are many things you can consider... I do Commercial HVAC work as well but that small of a space wont need much.

Is it fully insulated? Heat & AC wanted?

Your going to have a oversided unit most likely unless you go with a packaged unit like whats in a Hotel room or something...
Old 11-28-2004, 08:34 PM
superuser

Tim O. also does commercial HVAC as well -- any help would be greatly appreciated. Want me to shoot you an e-mail with a digital camera picture? Need heating and air. There is a unit up there already in the 3rd floor space used to heat/cool the 2nd floor space. It's capacity is already reached so branching off isn't really an option.

What items would you need further detail of? Figure a 10 seer 1/2 ton unit would be more than enough for the single room 3rd floor space. There is only one window, so I'd prefer not to use a window unit.

Purchased a pallet of R-19 insulation tonight and have 1/2" thick 4'x12' sheets of drywall already up there ready to go. Will do the insulation myself but contract out the drywall, maybe to the Mexican day labor crews that are working on other houses in the neighborhood. Doing the electrical outlet, lighting, cat5e, and RG6 wiring myself.
Old 12-04-2004, 02:49 PM
superuser

Lightbulb Re: Local HVAC advice requested

Okay, here's what I need, any help appreciated:
  • 1/2 ton electric heat pump.
  • 10-12 seer should be fine.
  • Matching outside unit.
  • Two returns.
  • Four vents.
  • All insulated trunks, vent lines.

The 3rd floor location is already pre-wired with electrical, drain plumbing, and all other connections necessary for the unit. I have the insulated copper lines coiled under the house that connect to the 3rd floor location and is ready for the outside unit. Will need to purchase the breakers and outside box for the outside unit from Home Depot but did not want to run the electricity there until the slab location was chosen for the outside unit.

Because cooling of the 3rd story is more important than heating (2nd floor will radiate heat upwards anyways), figure two returns in the ceiling and four vents mounted on low the walls. Vents should run from an insulated trunk (not vinyl) then 3-1/2 feet perpendicular from the trunk to the wall vent. Two returns mounted in the ceiling can efficiently draw the hotter air as it rises rather than attempt to push colder air from above if the return/vent locations were reversed.

I've worked on repairing trunk lines, vents, electrical, and assorted ventilation stuff but never installed one from scratch. Really need help in purchasing the heat pump and it's outside unit, installing them, and running the return/vent lines.

Looking for help with a "package deal" and guided assistance with the install. Don't forget to include a nominal markup for your time and effort because pizza and beer probably won't cut it for such a large project.