Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

A hypothetical what would you do?

Old 05-14-2007, 12:21 PM
Nic
Patron

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic
Default A hypothetical what would you do?

So say you took a job with the strict understanding that you wanted nothing to do with being in a position of authority, ie., management. For about 9 months, it goes fine, but then you're finally leveraged into taking a management position. Since you work a sales job where your pay is an hourly base + commission, becoming the customer service manager has cut into your sales and you wind up losing about $2/hr off your pay because you spend so much time helping and training new employees. Well, say you were browsing through your company's employee compensation handbook and found out that your minimum base pay should be $1.50/hr more than you're presently making and could range up to $2.75/hr more. With this new found information, you take it to your boss, whom you have a good relationship with, and the repsonse you get is "if you don't like it, you can turn in your keys."

What would you do?
Old 05-14-2007, 12:25 PM
DEAD OR ALIVE

azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th azzbustin30th
Default Re: A hypothetical what would you do?

take the position let him think that everything is a ok, then BAM ask for your raise and if he says no call 12 on your side.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:27 PM
Nic
Patron

Already got suckered into taking the position and have lost about $2/hr in commissions since then
Old 05-14-2007, 12:29 PM
wub wub wub wub

VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla VanillaThrilla

Originally Posted by Nic
Already got suckered into taking the position and have lost about $2/hr in commissions since then
I've been in your shoes, sort of, recently.

I chose to leave. That may not have been the best decision, but that's what I chose to do.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:42 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

I would look into finding another place to work that has more money doing what you do only as an option. Also make sure they have great benefits too.

Once you have established this I would approach your manager and possibly his boss and negotiate with them discussing that you have received a promotion and no pay increase and ask why not. Mention that the company has written guidelines for this and that with a promotion, comes more benefits and responsibility which carries more pay, not losing it. Then see what they can do.

If they do not give it to you, give them your notice(being you have another position with more$$) If you are valuable and they want you, they may reconsider their position and offer you more money. If not, you have a new higher paying job.

I have done this with my last 2 employers and it has gotten me more money and happier. Merchants did offer me a promotion and a raise, but I still went to Haley.

Nic, in our profession we have to be marketable and someone is always willing to pay us. If you can show that to your boss, then that usually will cause them to keep you. However, some places do like to employ the cheapest person.

Last edited by Woodrow; 05-14-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 05-14-2007, 12:43 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos

put that resume together
Old 05-14-2007, 01:16 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

You are employed in a field with a very high turnover rate. Your boss found cheap labor and has shown that your skills are not worth the money you feel you deserve. Time to move on, there is no long term solution.

When asked why you left your last employer during an interview, answer that you were happy with the people you worked with but were "limited in career advancement opportunities".
Old 05-14-2007, 01:31 PM
95cobra/95gsx/99cbr

cobra29svt is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Woodrow
I would look into finding another place to work that has more money doing what you do only as an option. Also make sure they have great benefits too.

Once you have established this I would approach your manager and possibly his boss and negotiate with them discussing that you have received a promotion and no pay increase and ask why not. Mention that the company has written guidelines for this and that with a promotion, comes more benefits and responsibility which carries more pay, not losing it. Then see what they can do.

If they do not give it to you, give them your notice(being you have another position with more$$) If you are valuable and they want you, they may reconsider their position and offer you more money. If not, you have a new higher paying job.

I have done this with my last 2 employers and it has gotten me more money and happier. Merchants did offer me a promotion and a raise, but I still went to Haley.

Nic, in our profession we have to be marketable and someone is always willing to pay us. If you can show that to your boss, then that usually will cause them to keep you. However, some places do like to employ the cheapest person.

agree 110%
Old 05-14-2007, 01:42 PM
Nic
Patron

Originally Posted by 65-SpyderGT
Your boss found cheap labor and has shown that your skills are not worth the money you feel you deserve.
What I'm really upset about is that my skills apparently aren't worth what my own damn company says the minimum amount I should be paid for possessing those skills is
Old 05-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Originally Posted by Nic
What I'm really upset about is that my skills apparently aren't worth what my own damn company says the minimum amount I should be paid for possessing those skills is
Unfortunately, that is how most of the Corporate repair shops are like. They always have to turn a profit for the company and shareholders and to do this, they minimize operating costs. However, the employees are the ones who suffer from this because the company just wants to the cheapest person they can get away with.

Quick Reply: A hypothetical what would you do?