Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Fiberglass Supplies/Hints

Old 03-04-2008, 11:06 AM
JDM AS FAK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud of
Question Fiberglass Supplies/Hints

Hey everybody,

I'm trying to create a stealth audio install on my eg, and since it didn't come with a spare tire anyway, the wife can't be mad at me for taking it out for a spare-tire sub box. The idea is to cut a piece of MDF to be sunk ~ 2.5" into the "trunk" (where the shape is mostly a rectangle w/ a 1/4 circle on top), fiberglass the bottom with some extra "fringe" around the sides, then fold over the board and seal it on the board. The idea is a sub-box/amp-rack that will go below the false bottom. This would be for a 10" sub (towards the bottom/back) and a single amplifier (towards the top/front). Unfortunately, I've never done any fiberglass in my life before, but thought this webpage (http://www.explorerforum.com/fibergl...erglassing.htm) would be a good reference.

My question is, does this order sound right:

(1) Lay down tin-foil over the trunk
(2) Spray PAM all over the tin-foil
(3) Forgo the fleece mentioned above, and put down 4 alternating layers of 4"x4" mat (with approximately 3" overhanging around the edges) and resin and let dry
(4) Put the MDF down
(5) wrap the MDF with the overhang, and smear in resin
(6) Let dry, remove, stretch carpeting over the wood, staple it down around the edges
(7) bask in the glory of my creation and the jealousy of all my friends

Any hints/help/links/feedback would be much appreciated!

Also, the reason I'm posting here is --- does anybody know of a good place to get the fiberglass resin, hardener, and mat from? I've heard Home Depot and Lowes sell crap from more than just the link above, but I might be down w/ crap if it'll work for this install and that's all that's available.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:17 PM
loved by all

ForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these partsForcedFedTeg is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Fiberglass Supplies/Hints

fiberglass work is alot easier then people think. just make sure to use the proper amount of hardener. Make sure when you lay the mat that all the air bubbles are pressed out and no fibers are sticking up. Make it as smoth as possible. As far a using pam and aluminum foil, i wouldnt do that. All the fiberglass systems ive done ive used black vinyl tape and meguiars mold release wax and it has word flawlessly. Ive alway got my supplies from select products but ive hear that home depot actually has good fiberglass resin.

check out this site, it has alot of info.

www.the12volt.com
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

alpnwhite96 has disabled reputation

fiberglass is like paper mache with nasty chemicals
Old 03-04-2008, 01:32 PM
Registered Member

alpnwhite96 has disabled reputation

home depot and lowes will have what you need.
Old 03-04-2008, 02:28 PM
gss
Registered Member

gss has disabled reputation

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/
Old 03-04-2008, 04:30 PM
Registered Member

ludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by VTDr0p0ut
Hey everybody,

I'm trying to create a stealth audio install on my eg, and since it didn't come with a spare tire anyway, the wife can't be mad at me for taking it out for a spare-tire sub box. The idea is to cut a piece of MDF to be sunk ~ 2.5" into the "trunk" (where the shape is mostly a rectangle w/ a 1/4 circle on top), fiberglass the bottom with some extra "fringe" around the sides, then fold over the board and seal it on the board. The idea is a sub-box/amp-rack that will go below the false bottom. This would be for a 10" sub (towards the bottom/back) and a single amplifier (towards the top/front). Unfortunately, I've never done any fiberglass in my life before, but thought this webpage (http://www.explorerforum.com/fibergl...erglassing.htm) would be a good reference.

My question is, does this order sound right:

(1) Lay down tin-foil over the trunk
(2) Spray PAM all over the tin-foil
(3) Forgo the fleece mentioned above, and put down 4 alternating layers of 4"x4" mat (with approximately 3" overhanging around the edges) and resin and let dry
(4) Put the MDF down
(5) wrap the MDF with the overhang, and smear in resin
(6) Let dry, remove, stretch carpeting over the wood, staple it down around the edges
(7) bask in the glory of my faggotry because I like penis

Any hints/help/links/feedback would be much appreciated!

Also, the reason I'm posting here is --- does anybody know of a good place to get the fiberglass resin, hardener, and mat from? I've heard Home Depot and Lowes sell crap from more than just the link above, but I might be down w/ crap if it'll work for this install and that's all that's available.

Fixed.

Anyway, from what I recall Nappa had some. I doubt you are going to do this right the first time. If you don't feel like waiting for GaYex to deliver your shit to the wrong place, just go buy some BS for the first time around. Also, from what I've seen alot of people just tape up the bottom of the car since its more stable.

Follow this link:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d.php?p=101624

It's a guy doing what you want to do in the same model car you have. Can't beat that.
Old 03-04-2008, 04:31 PM
Registered Member

ludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these partsludachrisvt is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by alpnwhite96
fiberglass is like paper mache with nasty chemicals
CHECK!

playing with nasty chemicals is a weekly occurance.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:16 AM
JDM AS FAK

VTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud ofVTDr0p0ut has much to be proud of
Thumbs up Re: Fiberglass Supplies/Hints

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Fixed.

Anyway, from what I recall Nappa had some. I doubt you are going to do this right the first time. If you don't feel like waiting for GaYex to deliver your shit to the wrong place, just go buy some BS for the first time around. Also, from what I've seen alot of people just tape up the bottom of the car since its more stable.

Follow this link:

http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...d.php?p=101624

It's a guy doing what you want to do in the same model car you have. Can't beat that.

Aaahhh, an example of one of my many jealous admirers. So it begins!
Old 03-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Registered Member

Who got their shit first? Jealous? I think not.

Watching you do this and then fucking it (as well as your fingers) up and yelling FAIL will be so totarry awesome.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:54 AM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Originally Posted by ludachrisvt
Who got their shit first? Jealous? I think not.

Watching you do this and then fucking it (as well as your fingers) up and yelling FAIL will be so totarry awesome.

Are we wittnessing the evolution of some kind of for-sale section troll here??

Quick Reply: Fiberglass Supplies/Hints