Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

College help and ideas

Old 06-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Slow as Shit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow
Default College help and ideas

Ok gang.
I plan on going to school, prolly John Tyler because it is close to my work and my home. I will be getting my GI Bill Benefits and the Reserves pay my tuition assistance as does merchants too so money is not a worry to me. My thing is this. What should I studdy for? Business Management(being thats the kind of roll I do) or take an easy major like Police science or criminal justice??

Also what constitutes full time?
Old 06-07-2004, 05:02 PM
Kicking Ass

Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T Brian T
Default Re: College help and ideas

12 hours or more I believe is fulltime.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:24 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Full-time qualification varies among colleges and semesters (fall/spring versus summer). Get the cheap classes out of the way that are general in nature, then transfer to a brand name school for the last few years to get the degree in which you decide.

Fill out the FAFSA form to qualify for loans, grants, whatever. Takes a few moments using data from last year's tax return and is sent to your school(s). You don't have to accept the loans or grants, as your GI Bill should cover most if not all, but hey, doesn't cost anything to find out what your backup options are.

College women
Old 06-07-2004, 05:55 PM
Slow as Shit

Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow Woodrow

Well I will receive $985 for full time 785 for 3/4 and so on, plus the Reserves pays my tuition up to 2500 bucks a year(if I am correct), plus I have a 10k college repayment loan which the Reserves repays up to 10 grant for a loan. Merchants also has a tuition assistance which covers I think 1500 a year.

John Tyler costs 66.25 per credit hour.
Old 06-07-2004, 06:56 PM
200HP/L

Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi Josepi

Originally Posted by Woodrow
Well I will receive $985 for full time 785 for 3/4 and so on, plus the Reserves pays my tuition up to 2500 bucks a year(if I am correct), plus I have a 10k college repayment loan which the Reserves repays up to 10 grant for a loan. Merchants also has a tuition assistance which covers I think 1500 a year.

Just don't forget about the astronomical costs of books when planning out a budget for education. Figure ~50-75 for most general classes (per class). More specialized courses, up the price.
Old 06-07-2004, 07:01 PM
Slow as Shit

Thats what the GI Bill, the 10 grand repayment loan and both tuition assistance from my work and the military come in hand for. Just have to time it all right, so I dont have to come out of pocket at all.
Old 06-07-2004, 09:39 PM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Take what you plan on using. Don't waste your money on a degree that you'll never use.
Old 06-08-2004, 05:40 AM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Originally Posted by Woodrow

My classes cost $542 per credit hour, so $1626 per class plus about $250 in books per class. That's why my degree is "on hold" halfway through. Only 6 classes left, but that's over $11k !!!

Many of the tuition assistance programs repay instead of pay up front. Talk to the financial aid office of your college as they know about these programs. For the GI Bill and Reserves, they may be able to hold billing until the end for these well known reimbursement programs.

The FAFSA would most likely qualify you for interest free loans which would cover the up-front costs of tuition and books before any formal reimbursement is received.
Old 06-08-2004, 12:44 PM
Slow as Shit

The Reserves Tuition assistance pay up front. You get all the course enrollment and the bill, they take care of it.

Merchants has tuition reimbursement, where they reimburse the enrollment.
Old 06-10-2004, 06:30 AM
Slow as Shit

Well The Army is paying 100% tuition and covers up to 3500 a year and will pay it at time of tuition. I won't need Merchant's Tuition Reimbursement. The GI Bill program I get 985 a month tax free. I think I am set on that aspect.
Classes look like Intro to Business, College Comp 1, Intro to Math and Survey of Economics. Just trying to get the basic classes done first. I am shooting for a Business Management degree.

Quick Reply: College help and ideas