Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

anyone ever titled a jdm car...

Old 05-09-2006, 02:52 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crx2sol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone ever titled a jdm car...

got my eyes on a couple jdm cars...I was wondering if anyone has any experience with titling these cars.....I know it can be done....I know in Va you can file for a lost title. Im wondering if this would work....My inlaws did it with an old Harley....but then again a harley from the 50s is a long way away from a mid 90s honda. any thoughts?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:06 PM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone ever titled a jdm car...

does JDM= stolen?
Old 05-09-2006, 03:07 PM
dont wuurry

RightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond reputeRightDiddy has a reputation beyond repute

before its replied i know what JDM really means
Old 05-09-2006, 06:39 PM
Registered Member

ClassicJDMCars has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by crx2sol
got my eyes on a couple jdm cars...I was wondering if anyone has any experience with titling these cars.....I know it can be done....I know in Va you can file for a lost title. Im wondering if this would work....My inlaws did it with an old Harley....but then again a harley from the 50s is a long way away from a mid 90s honda. any thoughts?
Kinda like this?

(yes, this picture was taken in downtown Richmond, and yes it had/has a valid VA title)

lol It can be done.. filing for a lost title will get you nowhere though. See cars these days have something called a VIN number. If you can figure out how to make a 12 digit JDM VIN number (which btw has never existed in the US), magically turn into a valid 17 digit US VIN number, then yes you can register and title it.

However, the car will never be federally legal no matter what. You can make just about any imported car state legal, if you know what your doing. Do some research, I doubt many people who have actually been able to register a JDM car are willing to just freely give up that info.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:15 PM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Or never register it and run a ID tag the entire time.

Old 05-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Or find a wrecked USDM version, steal the vin, replace the JDM vin with the USDM vin and file for a salvage title.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:40 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

Originally Posted by Chris4130
Do some research, I doubt many people who have actually been able to register a JDM car are willing to just freely give up that info.
Honestly that's pretty shitty. I mean is it some huge secret that's not worth helping out a fellow car enthusiast? If it's that serious then I guess it's cool, but I didn't think it would be.
Old 05-09-2006, 07:42 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ritz
Honestly that's pretty shitty. I mean is it some huge secret that's not worth helping out a fellow car enthusiast? If it's that serious then I guess it's cool, but I didn't think it would be.
it's complicated

Last edited by ClassicJDMCars; 05-09-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 05-09-2006, 09:12 PM
Registered Member

LowTech1 has a spectacular aura aboutLowTech1 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ritz
Old 05-09-2006, 11:10 PM
Registered Member

Like i said it's a complicated process, and to do it right you have to either pull strings, or know people... at least in VA. Some states are different, like CO, where it's possible to actually have the car inspected by the state police and issued a valid US 17 digit VIN and title. However, even that is no easy task, becuase you will need to convert the car to "US Saftey Standards" technically. What actually has to be done to pass, may or may not comply.. i dunno i've never done it there.

This brings us back to the fact that the car will Never be Federally legal no matter what you do. Which is part of the reason people aren't willing to discuss how they managed to "legalize" it..(read into this and you'll understand).

The easiest way to own a legal US titled car is to buy one with a valid US title already. OR do what Kevin suggested which will work just fine as long as you have access to I.D. tags.

Quick Reply: anyone ever titled a jdm car...