Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

Anyone been to Commonwealth Diesel Injection?

Old 08-13-2009, 05:51 AM
superuser

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd
Question Anyone been to Commonwealth Diesel Injection?

Anyone been to Commonwealth Diesel Injection? Need my diesel injectors tested and at least one replaced.

Found the shop through a search, but do not have any feedback from customers. Anyone been there or heard good/bad about them? Figure I'd ask as diesel injectors aren't exactly cheap (about $350-250 each) and diagnosing them requires specialty equipment.

Trying to avoid dealerships that have high turnover rates with diesel mechanics.

www.commonwealthdiesel.com
Old 08-13-2009, 07:32 AM
Registered Member

Mid Atlantic Performance is a jewel in the roughMid Atlantic Performance is a jewel in the roughMid Atlantic Performance is a jewel in the roughMid Atlantic Performance is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Anyone been to Commonwealth Diesel Injection?

I have never had any work done by them, but we get parts from these guys all the time. I would say they seem honest and fair enough to deal with.
Old 08-13-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered Member

IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN IMSHAKN

This the place off Jeff Davis near Bellwood Flea market (Willis Rd)? If so, I've never had work done by them but have heard good things about them.
Old 08-13-2009, 10:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

What engine is this on?

I assume a powersmoke, but just want to make sure.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:32 PM
superuser

Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd Computer_Nerd

Yes, 2005 Ford F350 turbo diesel 6.0L.

Awaiting a new coolant temp sensor (mil code P0118) which may be retarding the injectors. Truck has 132k miles on it and I know that at least one injector isn't working optimally and the others are compensating. No recorded misfires, no strange readings through AutoTap with extended Ford parameters.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:03 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

What makes you think one injector is not working optimally?

What are the symptoms?

Diagnosing a PSD requires an IDS. I dont give a damn who you are, you are not going to accurately diagnose one with a Bully dog, auto tap, or any other form of bullshit.

OEM scan tooling is the ONLY way to do the correct testing you need to see what is wrong.

I have done a few sets of injectors, but not for driveability issues.

You really need to have a cylinder contribution test done before going much farther, depending on what is the main problem you are chasing.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:17 PM
superuser

Symptoms are: rough idle, as if a gasser were missing, and unburnt fuel exiting. No coolant burning, EGR clear and clean. No codes thrown (other than for the failing coolant temp sensor). Stuttering with loss of power under hard acceleration, turbo overcompensates and lessens power loss. No air, gasket, or intake leaks. No oil in coolant, no indication of head gasket issues.

I know and posted that a correct diagnosis requires specialty equipment. Right now, all indicators and symptoms point to a fuel injector issue.

The coolant temp sensor failing is likely causing the injectors to retard as a safety precaution. Replacing that part first as a shop would need that fixed before further diagnosing. Coolant temp sensor just started to fail two weeks ago, problem existed before then.
Old 08-13-2009, 01:23 PM
The Pro to call.

cool.

absolutely certain you aint losing any coolant? a leaking EGR cooler will cause those symptoms also, and will cause a CEL to illuminate for a CTS failure.

On an aside, i strongly advise comparing the CTS and EOT readings on a WOT pull to see how close they are to each other. any more than 25 degree difference means you have a failing oil cooler.

Sorry for not knowing about Commonwealth, but I would bet they have an IDS. may wanna call and ask.

Cause the sick-ohs get expensive quick if someone dont know how to diagnose them! Believe me....the stories of ones towed in here are unbefuckinglievable some times!
Old 08-13-2009, 01:41 PM
superuser

Yup. Coolant and Oil temps are between 15-19 degrees of each other. Used the nickel 2400 degree rated anti-seize when reconditioning the turbo.

Last week, changed out the following...

Reconditioned the turbo.
Upgraded turbo oil drain tube.
Upgraded the turbo oil feeder tube for the VGT.
Replaced the EGT cooler.
Replaced intake manifold gaskets.
Upgraded the HPOP fitting.
Inspected oil cooler for any blockage.
Replaced a bajillion v-clamps, gaskets, o-rings.
Oil and filter change.
Fuel filter change.
Transmission drain and filter change.
Coolant flush with Zerex G-05 and distilled water.
Coolant filter change (aftermarket).
Air filter change.
Windshield wiper blades replaced.
Inspected all exhaust pieces for any stress fractures, cracks.
Inspected and cleaned CAC tube flexible hoses.
Replaced the 10'+ belt (that was a nightmare by myself in the rain).

Built a wicked topside creeper with 2'x4' platform and extra 2' overhang for my legs. Made it much easier to work on that engine. Had a friend help me remove the turbo and another help with some other stuff, too. Wasn't exactly a one day job!

I get dirty.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:27 PM
The Pro to call.

Ya really shoulda put the oil cooler in while you were in there.

BTW, you know the trick for keeping the serp belt tensioner locked back while changing that whore of a belt, right?

Quick Reply: Anyone been to Commonwealth Diesel Injection?