Notices
Central VA The Richmond and surrounding areas forum. Introductions and regional topics go here.

2009 Saleen Camaro

Old 11-29-2006, 06:58 PM
TERMIN8

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ThroatyStang has disabled reputation
Post 2009 Saleen Camaro

carcrazy.com assistant editor John Breaux caught up with Saleen at the 2006 Cruisin the Coast Auto Show in Biloxi Mississippi.

Car Crazy: Are you going to bump up the horsepower on your Saleen Mustang cars when Ford adds horsepower in 2009?

Steve Saleen: Yes we are, I just talked to Alan Mulally (Ford Motor Co. Chief Executive) about the 2009 facelift year and what kind of added power the GT and Cobra will get.

CC: What kind of added power did he talk about for the 09 model year?

Saleen: Nothing extreme, it's only a facelift year, but enough to make my current engine upgrades obsolete. They're aiming for 350 horsepower out of the V8 in the GT, and they're only adding about ten or fifteen horsepower to the GT500.

CC: Can you give us an idea of what you'll do to for your Saleen models?

Saleen: We don't know yet exactly, but we've had many meetings on what we want. We're aiming to get around 385 horsepower out of the S281 3 Valve with around 390 lb-ft of torque. The S281 Supercharged model will get 500 horses even with around 460 lb-ft of torque, and expect about a fifteen horsepower increase on the (S281) Extreme Mustang over the 2007 model (that's 565 horsepower and 535 lb-ft of torque).

CC: That's a big power increase on all cars, are the prices going to change?

Saleen: Not counting inflation, the prices should stay the same.

CC: Are the rumors of you teaming up with GM true or false?

Saleen: My team just worked with GM last month on the Transformers movie. We had such a good relationship with them that we are infact going to team up with them on future projects?

CC: What future projects?

Saleen: Well the Camaro project is one of them, I've watched from a distance while they've been putting the production model together. I think it would be foolish on our part if we didn't get a part of that action (Steve laughs).

CC: So are you going to do your own versions of the new Camaro?

Saleen: It's not legally official right now, but that's what we're hoping for.

CC: What kind of upgrades will you make, have you seen the engine GM is using in the Camaro?

Saleen: I hope I don't get in trouble with GM for saying this, but they're using a 6.2 liter 450 horsepower engine for the premium V8 in the 2009 Camaro and the base Corvette. The base V8 will probably be a detuned version of the same 6.2. So we'll just upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 to Saleen level specifications. We're going to upgrade the 6.2 liter V8 if we're given the legal chance by GM. Our base model should have around 485 horsepower, and expect our Extreme Supercharged Camaro to have over 600 horsepower.

Cut and pasted from here http://www.corral.net/forums/showthread.php?t=846265

Last edited by ThroatyStang; 11-29-2006 at 07:58 PM.
Old 11-29-2006, 07:14 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Re: 2009 Saleen Camaro

The idiocy in that thread amazes me.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:08 AM
He's like the wind

MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC MAD_DOHC

Originally Posted by ritz
The idiocy in that thread amazes me.
And you've been here since day one. For your idiocy meter to hit amazed, it must be awesome.

I'll believe it when I see it. If this does pan out, the frickin' HP wars are going to get crazy. Hopefully Ford will pull their collective heads out of their ass and finally up the tally to something competitive. A base 350hp in the GT's and Chevy and Dodge bringing no less than 450hp, something needs to be done.
Old 11-30-2006, 04:51 AM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

mmm conflict of interest anyone? No way, no how unless he stops building Mustangs. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:43 AM
Registered Member

LowTech1 has a spectacular aura aboutLowTech1 has a spectacular aura about

I think it'd be pretty neat. Hell SLP managed it.

I'm still amazed that it took Ford til 2005 to put out a Mustang (non Cobra) that MIGHT not get it's ass wrecked by even a LT1 camarobird.
Old 11-30-2006, 05:46 AM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

Originally Posted by LowTech1
I think it'd be pretty neat. Hell SLP managed it.

I'm still amazed that it took Ford til 2005 to put out a Mustang (non Cobra) that MIGHT not get it's ass wrecked by even a LT1 camarobird.
What's that you said about an LT1 wrecking a 99+ GT? I've got timeslips that beg to differ....
Old 11-30-2006, 01:44 PM
Ich liebe Bier

BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin BuiltforSin

retarded.. that'll confuse alot of people.
Old 11-30-2006, 01:47 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
And you've been here since day one. For your idiocy meter to hit amazed, it must be awesome.

I'll believe it when I see it. If this does pan out, the frickin' HP wars are going to get crazy. Hopefully Ford will pull their collective heads out of their ass and finally up the tally to something competitive. A base 350hp in the GT's and Chevy and Dodge bringing no less than 450hp, something needs to be done.
It's hit it here too.
Old 11-30-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost Frost

Originally Posted by Nic
What's that you said about an LT1 wrecking a 99+ GT? I've got timeslips that beg to differ....
You have timeslips that show better than mid-high 13s when your car was BONE STOCK?
Old 11-30-2006, 03:45 PM
Registered Member

bonestock94 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MAD_DOHC
base 350hp in the GT's and Chevy and Dodge bringing no less than 450hp, something needs to be done.
No, Im sure they're bringing less than 450 for their base V8 models, Saleen said the "premium" V8 would be the 6.2. Meaning the SS or something of the nature. Also, Dodge would probably put the 5.7 in their base V8, which makes what 350hp? Whatever, all speculation at this point.

Quick Reply: 2009 Saleen Camaro