Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

S2000 Differential (Durable!)

Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 PM
Slammedxpert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush
Default S2000 Differential (Durable!)

Not!

Alright, so I'm rather bored and just wanted to share what I have come across. The backround:

Ever since I bought the car, it has always had kind of a whine and when turning the occasional clunk when turning (odd). I had first purchased the car lowered on Espelir springs with no axleshaft spacers. I had then lowered the car even more on coilovers. Next day, I broke the tripod joint in the axle. No big deal. Ordered two new axles and T1R half spacers.

(spacers required for lowering S2000's)

Put everything back together, also changed the fluid out. I have owned the car since March and have done 3 Differential fluid changes.

A couple months later the rear end's whine just gets louder and louder, followed by progressive clunking at stop lights (trans in neutral/stopping with just brake no gear). Rear end eventually got louder/louder/louder and then once warmed up you would hear a scraping noise such as if it sounded like a dust shield on a rotor was scraping against rotor. One night, I took a turn around 25mph in second gear 1/4 throttle then all hell broke loose. The differential now sounds like a garbage disposal. Just gets louder and louder but a metal crunching/grinding noise almost like a little kid+Bicycle+playing card=noise.

I figured I would try to limp the car to my shop when I had a day off since it was to low for a tow truck. (the S2000 stayed park for about a month while I drove the beater) Had planned on raising the car to get it towed, but figured I would just limp it since I didn't have a jack ready at hand. About 1 mile in my 2 mile drive the diff locks up hard, stalls the car. Able to get it re-started and in a parking spot and get a ride to work. Called our tow truck, got it to the shop. Came into work the next morning and started to do work.

First thing I notice once racked and in the air:

So I pop it back in, noise still there.

Drain the fluid, (metal gear solid whattt)

So, its dis assembly time.

Pic I thought was sweet from the tow truck light illuminating the seats haha.

This was my first differential tear down and I enjoyed it. Still haven't had a chance yet to see if the factory Torsen LSD is still mechanically sound or not because I do suspect it took one hell of a beating by me continuing to drive it. Right now, I am in a toss up on whether I am putting a 300zx rear end in it or rebuilding this one with better upgraded parts/cryo/4.57-4.77's. Thanks for viewing.

Cliffs:

Rear end fucked from the get go
Lots of noises
Lots of "FUCK"
Tear down
Time for upgrade
Old 01-18-2010, 08:53 PM
JDM Monkey Tuning

Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy Bumper Caddy
Default Re: S2000 Differential (Durable!)

hurry up and figure out what your doin so we can cruise again p.s i miss you
Old 01-18-2010, 08:54 PM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

shittyyy

i thought it was a known fact the differentials were crap though??
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
SPARKLE.motion

Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky Hicky

looks scrumptious, mike. haha
Old 01-18-2010, 08:57 PM
Slammedxpert

SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush SortaFlush

Originally Posted by Bumper Caddy
hurry up and figure out what your doin so we can cruise again p.s i miss you
LOL Urite. It's way cold out though, so forget cruising haha.

Originally Posted by yanko 15
shittyyy

i thought it was a known fact the differentials were crap though??
I mean, you can consider them junk. But, they have known problems. The end caps always tend to stretch causing premature failure for one. But, it wasn't also built for launching, dragging, shifting hard (1-2nd), drifting or nothing like that. They're just not strong for modified S2000's. If its someone who will be easy all the time, sure it can last.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:01 PM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

ahh ok
im not in the loop with alot of import stuff....just heard quite a few stories of differentials on the s2ks not working out too well
Old 01-18-2010, 09:02 PM
Slammedxpert

The AP1 diff's have a lot higher fail rate VS. the Ap2
Old 01-18-2010, 09:07 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

I mean, I'd call them junk since they're half the size of a 300ZX diff, haha.

I am interested to see how the R200 diff looks back there. Your new axles will be a good 1-2" shorter on each side, haha.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:08 PM
Slammedxpert

Originally Posted by WishIHadaSilvia
I mean, I'd call them junk since they're half the size of a 300ZX diff, haha.

I am interested to see how the R200 diff looks back there. Your new axles will be a good 1-2" shorter on each side, haha.
Highly considering it, I'd need the non-turbo rear R200, considering I can get the full install kit from Inline for around 2300...minus the diff.
Old 01-18-2010, 09:10 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

The non turbo R200 is the exact same thing as a 240 diff. Get a S13 housing for like 50 bucks, get a OS Giken 1.5way and have a bullet proof amazing set up.

What all comes with the install kit? I am sure at least some of it can be fabbed up fairly easily.

Last edited by WishIHadaSilvia; 01-18-2010 at 09:13 PM.

Quick Reply: S2000 Differential (Durable!)