Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Recent NASA 10 point cage finished

Old 06-30-2010, 08:58 AM
VAdriven Sponsor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt
Default Recent NASA 10 point cage finished

nasa 10 point just finished up, customer putting a allmotor b-series in it. i think he said hes trying to hit the road course in a few weeks

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 06-30-2010 at 09:04 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:06 AM
nortaP

Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded Reloaded
Default Re: Recent NASA 10 point cage finished

In before Fabrik8 pwns you on your poor cage design.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:09 AM
VAdriven Sponsor

RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt RameyBuilt

Originally Posted by Reloaded
In before Fabrik8 pwns you on your poor cage design.
how so?

pick up a nasa rule book looks exactly how they want it to look

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf page 64

Last edited by RameyBuilt; 06-30-2010 at 09:23 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:29 AM
Smug asshole.

Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
how so?

pick up a nasa rule book looks exactly how they want it to look

http://www.nasaproracing.com/rules/ccr.pdf page 64
That's a generic design and an old one at that. It also looks different than yours. The bars running along the 'A'-pillar in the diagram begin at the floor and continue to the main hoop. Yours begin at the floor and end at a bend. I'm not saying that's wrong, it's just clearly different from the diagram.

For a road course car, I'd expect gusseting as well as NASCAR-style door bars. That 'X' at the door entry is archaic in circuit cars and affords no protection if the car is impacted by another in that area.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:30 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Looks fine. Wouldn't want to use it for wheel-to-wheel racing, but I'm assuming it's not going to be used for that anyway (If it was for heavier duty racing, larger tubing and gusset plates would already be there).

It is missing a cross tube on the top. Non-triangulated squares are not your friend, and there isn't anything to keep the entire thing from twisting as a box.

Those front pillars might bang and rattle like mad with the cage touching the pillar. Who cares though if it's a dedicated racecar.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 06-30-2010 at 09:38 AM.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:47 AM
VAdriven Sponsor

Originally Posted by Smindustries
That's a generic design and an old one at that. It also looks different than yours. The bars running along the 'A'-pillar in the diagram begin at the floor and continue to the main hoop. Yours begin at the floor and end at a bend. I'm not saying that's wrong, it's just clearly different from the diagram.

For a road course car, I'd expect gusseting as well as NASCAR-style door bars. That 'X' at the door entry is archaic in circuit cars and affords no protection if the car is impacted by another in that area.
the halo bar is an option in the rules if you read them, much easier and cleaner than doing a bar from the hoop to the floor. I spoke to an inspector before we did any work and he said what we did is perfeclty fine for what this guy wants to do. lol hes on a budget, i didnt want to kill him with some over the top cage. He just wanted something to pass the rules so he can go race

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Looks fine. Wouldn't want to use it for wheel-to-wheel racing, but I'm assuming it's not going to be used for that anyway (If it was for heavier duty racing, larger tubing and gusset plates would already be there).

It is missing a cross tube on the top. Non-triangulated squares are not your friend, and there isn't anything to keep the entire thing from twisting as a box.

Those front pillars might bang and rattle like mad with the cage touching the pillar. Who cares though if it's a dedicated racecar.
lol thats how they are on my car but then again my shits loud as hell so i would never notice it anyways, and that bar your talking about is an option.
Old 06-30-2010, 10:37 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I like optional tube C-E in the rules too. That's a pretty useful tube.

Besides the main hoop, most of the cage in the rules diagram is dedicated to supporting and locating the main hoop, and the rest of the cage doesn't offer much protection of its own.
Old 07-01-2010, 03:04 PM
Smug asshole.

Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries Smindustries

Originally Posted by RameyBuilt
the halo bar is an option in the rules if you read them, much easier and cleaner than doing a bar from the hoop to the floor. I spoke to an inspector before we did any work and he said what we did is perfeclty fine for what this guy wants to do. lol hes on a budget, i didnt want to kill him with some over the top cage. He just wanted something to pass the rules so he can go race

I read the rules and I know that's acceptable. You used the word 'exactly' however what you built is not exactly like the diagram. That was my point.
Old 07-01-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered Member

David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12 David S12

speaking of cages.. i just got mine done by a friend. what do you guys think? open to any opinions bad/good

i just wanted to tandem, so nothing extra fancy is added on. price was great too. do want pillar gussets someday though. anything can be added on. but i r broke like hobo

heres the mounting point for the main hoop also (when it wasnt welded all in yet)

Last edited by David S12; 07-01-2010 at 09:58 PM.
Old 07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Racetracks

Originally Posted by David S12
speaking of cages.. i just got mine done by a friend. what do you guys think? open to any opinions bad/good

i just wanted to tandem, so nothing extra fancy is added on. price was great too. do want pillar gussets someday though. anything can be added on. but i r broke like hobo
Is that all MIG welded?

Quick Reply: Recent NASA 10 point cage finished