Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Project MAD MAX 240SX DD

Old 06-03-2011, 04:31 PM
NISSAN <3

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX
Default Project MAD MAX 240SX DD

well ive always wanted a 2nd 240 i can drive everyday and beat on the back roads with...so i went down to VA Beach back in JAN and picked this car up from Jake.

this will be a serious budget car so ill prob buy all used goods or wait till it breaks and upgrade. i still want car to look good from 10ft away. car def has some dings and pass quarter panel has been hit and pulled out pretty decent. ill prob look for some cheap overfenders i can rivet on.

before i purchased car i lined a few parts up in advance. i had a few friends from NOVA bring me some parts for my car. i scored an uncracked dash for $20.00 & clean s14 seats FR & R w/ manual belts for $75.00.

the interior was completely gutted which is good, because it was brown. everything else up front is already black which is good enough for me.

this is what car looked like upon bringing her home.

well i started into this build a few days after i bought car and i got some crap done.

- yanked out cracked dash/ brown s13 seats & all the auto seatbelt crap and pitched it into dumpster.

- realigned rear hatch. wasnt closing properly so we unbolted it from hinge & adjusted. it closes and opens smoothly.

- pulled off rear tails...trying to score some oem tails.

- had rear fenders rolled and pulled and fronts rolled.

- lowered front another 1/2"

- scrubbed driver side of engine bay/ cleaned up some bolts with wire wheel/ replaced a bunch with fresh yellow chromate grd 10 i had lying around. i also had a new project mu reservoir cover lying around.

- installed the radiator diversion plate i got from canada for 20.00. i didnt like the way it looked on my orange car so i threw it on here.

- resprayed rad brackets w/ VHT EPOXY and installed new foam insulator.

- just doing simple things to give it a little better appearance for a DD.

finally got a full weekend off from both jobs so i can get my new whip up to par for inspection and DD. its amazing how much shit i have lying around i can finally use and get rid of...like shit tons of spray paint/bolts etc.

* I finished scrubbing the bay and refreshing up all the visible bolts with a wire wheel and or new bolts i have laying around.
* dielectric greased all connections and installed locking clips on all plugs/ added ground to starter and beefier ground on block.
* installed pcv valve and new Bosch o2 sensor
* new nissan oil filter and some lucas additive with pennzoil high mileage oil.
* had a universal coolant recovery tank laying around so i installed that.
* remodded CAI back into bay some...i didnt want to take any chances with it way down in bumper. i cut the piping down and got the right angles/ added a new air filter from AA and i had some russel braided line left over for IACV hookup.
* installed a thermostatic switch on to e-fan setup.
* finished tucking some wires and hiding grounds on back side of strut tower
* donated headlight trim and driver side door moulding off orange car.
* took cowl off and scrubbed/vacuumed underneath.
* repainted wipers and side garnishes with vht epoxy spray.
* relocating battery disconnect inside glovebox.
* installed distribution block in bay for hot wires off fuse block.

* my boy Josh came down from NOVA and prepped/scuffed roof/ hood & trunk.
* sprayed 3-4 coats of krylon satin black oil rubbed bronze.
* prepped inside drivers fender...get rid of the red.
* cleaned out the sunroof channel and sprayed that...got rid of the offwhite.
* prepped piggy lip and sprayed duplicolor bumper black...that shit will get you high as fuck in a small room. haha
* sandblasted hood hinges/ shifter trim/ and other random metal pieces. primed and epoxy coated them... VHT ftw!
* installed a spare BMW M3 urethane lip spoiler. they shipped me one that was too long awhile back so i sent it back and they sent me another 1 46".

Last edited by JDM180SX; 06-07-2011 at 04:57 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:32 PM
NISSAN <3

JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX JDM180SX
Default Re: Project MAD MAX 240SX DD

update:

i got around to installing the freshly painted pig nose lip. i ended up drilling some more holes underneath for more ziptie mounting points. i think there are 14 industrial strength ties holding it in firm.

i had to go to junkyard and score some more 194 sockets & pig tails. the contacts inside were corroded and bulbs were falling out. every bulb socket has been dabbed with die-electric grease. i had 2 xenon white led 194 bulbs leftover and they are now home to parking lamps...super bright.

i dont know if any one else has tried this, but i always see clear 1157 bulbs behind amber lens so i was wondering what amber bulbs would look like. i did a test of same wattage bulbs, but amber prevailed and made lens a sharper/ more vivid blinking orange turn signal.

since i was missing a fender light on one side and junkyard has none. i bought some smoke lenses to go along with the black theme of car. i also replaced chrome lugs with some black ones...look better against black wheel.

driver side of car is done and uncracked dash installed. door panels are in great shape...scrubbed them down with some F2. went ahead and yanked out active speaker system and tried some 6X8 Powerbass. I had to space them out with some rubber faucet washers to keep glass from rubbing magnet. i wanted some speaker i could throw all my headunit power at and not distort and have good midbass. im actually going to install some 6x9 real soon instead( 6/3/11 )

finally using up all my extra led bulbs. i had just enough to replace gauge cluster and glove box area...looks great at night just like orange car. i also picked up a oem 180sx wheel ( $39.99 ) from http://www.elitejdm.com out of PA. local garage will not pass me with other wheel since it had no horn.

UPDATE:

you all know me and my OCD...

* i scrubbed this car down. when i pulled off console it had typical spillage/crusty bolts. its all mint and a freshly clean shift boot.

* installed Circuit Sport shifter bushing and new oem shifter springs. when i get some time im going to do a trans flush and install my s/s clutch line.

* relocated battery wire back into car... freed up 6' of cable.

* bought a new sunroof seal from Nissan...made sure i wouldnt get a shower driving in a tsunami.

* made a new key @ work and added something for the ladies. HK

* ordered JVC KDR610 from my wholesaler. i have full IPOD/MP3 control and XM/SIRIUS. i had to order new nissan radio brackets...ugh. at one time this past summer i had 3 sets, but sold all of them.

* got some fabric from joannes... was on sale for 7.99 yrd. i had local seamstress sew it onto leather shift boot for strength...only charged me 15.00. i have plenty of material left prob pad my armrest and wrap it.

* disconnect is relocated inside glovebox area instead of in fender. i also wanted my ECU accessible for code reading. xm tuner and jvc connect located below.

* cleaned and installed S14 rear seats for the kiddies. they want me to pick them up from school in this car since other 40 isnt done.

* made bracket and installed S14 front seatbelts.

* installed my PBM shifter. im prob going to get nipple cut in half so shifter sits lower.

* interior is done for what i want for DD. i started the car the other night and its pulling a knock sensor code so car wont idle. i ordered a couple of new sensors for 19.99 ea on ebay. im going to make my own harness using new shielded cable.

* installed MINT rear mudguards i got from http://www.elitejdm.com.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM
NISSAN <3

update:

I finally found some tails for the car. after i spent a month getting my money back from douche on ebay... i ordered another set of oem jdm 180sx tails from http://www.elitejdm.com.

1ST: i wetsanded l & r tails with 1500g.
2ND: I used buffer and some 3m plastic polish.
3RD: used some paste wax... they damn near look brand new.

i went ahead and bought a brand new 200sx garnish from Nissan of Chesapeake...Mark hooked it up. i just wanted something diff since i already had 180sx garnish on orange car. threw some Sylvania Silverstars back there and shes bright... 40% brighter to be exact. i also ordered a bunch of little parts i needed that were bugging me. i didnt have any drain plugs in rear and spark plug brackets were all broke. since cruise control and another switch i didnt need were gone i replaced them for some blanks for future switches.

* i also threw a 100a wafer fuse back at battery.

* wrapped my armrest with some suede.

* my friend Josh was bored so i asked him to come down and scrub the underside of hood and scotchbrite it real good. we prob worked on it for 2hrs before we sprayed it with copper VHT epoxy spray. im going to eventually do my bay in this color.

* picked up some OEM 180SX rain visors from Nissan of Chesapeake $129.95.
what a steal!

i received my EGR blockoff plate from Enjuku the other day and installed it a few weeks ago... it didnt help my situation. theres a massive vac leak somewhere so im taking the whole manifold off and replacing all the gaskets.

i was throwing a knock sensor code so i bought a new sensor and made a new shielded harness...cleared that code.

* sandblasted s14 upper manifold & front cover
* i scrubbed out the bottom manifold runners and cleaned the whole plenum
* sprayed everything with Duplicolor Cast Aluminum engine enamel
* valve color and Cusco end plates were powdercoated candy blue with chrome base
* installed all new manifold & TB gaskets. i used a CIRCUIT SPORTS Thermal plenum gasket

http://www.frsport.com/Circuit-Sport...DE_p_8139.html

* bought a PBM ENGINE VITAL METER. i will install it once i get car running properly.
* installed all new fresh grd 10 gold chromate bolts all new fuel/coolant lines and fresher IACV & AAV off a 96 manifold.
* replaced all injector o-rings
* got rid of p/s pump as tensioner. i did the mod to use alternator as main tensioner. i now have 2 240's that operate on a single belt
* bought a new radiator/ lower rad hose/ water pump/ thermostat/ alternator/ o2 sensor...just oem fresh maintenance.
* installed exhaust cam into intake side... 248*/248* setup now!
* got a s14 heat shield from NICO member and sandblasted and painted with rustoleum high temp silver.
* installed a aluminum TB spacer

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1991-...Q5fAccessories

i had to buy a new lower harness from FRSPORT. mine was cut in 40 diff spots lengthened/shortened. why i dont have reverse lights and speedo was intermittent. i jacked car up friday night and replaced that and while i was down there im refreshening front suspension...its real sloppy.

i finished all the motor maintenance last week:

* all new manifold & TB gaskets
* new alternator/ water pump/ & radiator
* new fuel injector o-rings
* replaced a few broken harness plugs
* rewrapped harness and tucked most of it
* timing was off 1 tooth...fixed that
* distributor timing was being a finicky bitch, but we tackled that too
* fresh oil change with Lucas/ new 02 sensor & knock sensor/ plugs/ rotor/cap
* all new fuel/ coolant & vac lines

car finally started and she runs really good, but it idles like shit till she warms up. my ca18det used to do that too until i replaced the AAV. the AAV on this car was really clean and it was from a 96... oh well i can live with it. she def pulls really strong for NA and there is no strain on motor since i have no a/c or p/s pump to run. the best part about this is there is no more vac leaks from manifold

here is the link to use alt as main tensioner:
DAYCO belt # 5030350

http://www.freshalloy.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=184085

Last edited by JDM180SX; 06-07-2011 at 05:06 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:33 PM
NISSAN <3

MAY 2011 UPDATE:

I noticed suspension was sloppy up front and i had all the extra energy suspension bushings from my kit that i could finally utilize.

* replaced steering rack bushings
* cleaned up tension arms and installed urethane bushings
* replaced FLCA with some new arms
* replaced sway bar bushings and endlink bushings
* replaced rip tie rod boots
* bought a cheap front lower brace from Project Silvia

* end results was a tighter feeling front end and less sloppy turning on hard corners

Q45 BRAKE UPGRADE:

* NEW S/S LINES
* NEW SLOTTED ROTORS
* NEW CALIPER HARDWARE
* SCRUBBED ALL HARDWARE AND CALIPERS AND REPAINTED WITH HIGH TEMP SILVER
* I also scrubbed out wheel wells and recoated with Duplicolor underbody spray.

Old 06-03-2011, 04:34 PM
NISSAN <3

well this is how car looks right now. ive put close to 1k miles on it since i finished all the maintenance 2 months ago. i am going to lower it another inch and i plan on buying some 16x8 +0 wheels for front to match rears. i want more lip up front and better offset.

i also plan on getting rear hatch windows tinted and i have a roof spoiler on the way from CHASER.

plan on getting rid of pop up headlights and doing s13 silvia hood with PIAA fog setup...budget super made setup.

oh...im also searching for a bike rack/ snowboard rack which i will put to USE.

PBM HOOD SPACERS

Last edited by JDM180SX; 06-25-2011 at 09:10 AM.
Old 06-03-2011, 04:57 PM
Nothing but time...

Venice has disabled reputation

Grrr i would of sold you the 200 garnish cheap as shit as it just sits in my closet for like a year now .
Old 06-03-2011, 05:02 PM
NISSAN <3

Originally Posted by Venice
Grrr i would of sold you the 200 garnish cheap as shit as it just sits in my closet for like a year now .
yeah i only payed 40ish brand new...wasnt bad at all.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:25 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28

Holy shit that engine is super clean. The heat shield also looks familiar...
Old 06-03-2011, 05:29 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

Originally Posted by JDM180SX
[B]well ive always wanted a 2nd 240 i can drive everyday and beat on the back roads with...so i went down to VA Beach back in JAN and picked this car up from Jake.

this will be a serious budget car
Favorite part haha
Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 PM
NISSAN <3

Originally Posted by Chris28
Holy shit that engine is super clean. The heat shield also looks familiar...
yeah thanks again...i couldnt stand to look at that rusty header.

Originally Posted by Spindrift
Favorite part haha
you like that <3

Quick Reply: Project MAD MAX 240SX DD