Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Project 7m Supra Reborn.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:50 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Supradude7mgte has disabled reputation
Default Project 7m Supra Reborn.

So I'm new to VA Driven, and many friends suggest that i subscribe, so to start off with, i live in VA Beach and love cars, obviously and just want to get more connected with other enthusiasts in the area. To start off with, ill share my car, and main focus of my life the past 3 years and hope that you all enjoy. My projects have been in overdrive. Im only 21 and am struggling to survive. But im dumping everything I have into this car. Heart and soul. Ive had the car for about three years and some change. Owned it , drove it turbo swap and blew the head gasket, replaced the gasket and then started it to only have the exhaust camshaft sieze up, snap the timing belt, and shear the crankshaft pulley key. Fried the head, cams, and crankshaft.

The car sat for a year or so until I had saved up a little money and until I had met a really great friend. Mark Eastep. So I had my car towed to his garage and we began work.

I couldn’t have done any of this and gotten to this point with the car and my life without Mark and his wife Dana. I owe everything to them for helping me and giving me the opportunity to build the car in this fashion and with such precision to detail. Thank you

Here are the old build threads for my car, from the day I got it till what you see now. My progress over the past years.

http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho...ir-and-rebuild
and
http://www.supramania.com/forums/sho......again/page2

here is the link for the photobucket album with all the build pics. They are not in order, i had trouble uploading them properly.
http://s56.photobucket.com/albums/g1...20and%20start/

I have sandblasted and Powder coated pretty much every engine component so everything is super clean, and looks the way i want it.

So i had fully built the motor up to a a getting it ready to drop in the car point, and the threads on the block where the big banjo bolt on the turbo oil filter fitting were cracked and we tryed to Belzona it and clean it up and save it.

But in the end the turbo block was completely garbage.
So thus dis assembly commenced. There was so much dirt and some metal shavings and aluminum oxide sand particles from the sandblaster were in the bottom of the oil pan. This was due to improper cleanliness and not being thorough enough. That motor wouldn't have lasted 8000 miles. Good thing that everything happened the way it did for me to rebuild it.....again. so its proper now.

I took an extended weekend to build the motor. So i spent four days straight building the motor, i only slept about 11 hours. Straight through the night assembling everything. for that four day period i built the motor and dropped it into the car, then about a week later spent another 30 some hours straight again rewiring and hooking everything up till start up.

took the Non Turbo block that i had and had it machined, Hotanked, and holes tapped for the knock sensors. brought it home and honed the cleaned up. I wire brushed the whole block, prepped it, and high temp primer it, then high temp gloss black. Tapped every hole, and washed the piss out of it.

I then took the head and pulled it completely apart, lapped the valves, installed the new compcam valve springs, cleaned everything vigorously, new valve seals, new turbo cams, all new seals, replaced the o rings in the heater core, and reassembled.

I then took the new crankshaft. the bigger thicker one and cleaned all the plugs and oil passages out, had it spun at the shop, and installed it in the block with the new bearings ARP main studs after plastigauging every bearing clearance.

Then took the pistons out of the original turbo motor and took each individual new NPR piston ring and measured the end gap for each cylinder and then installed the pistons with the new bearings after plastigauging as well. I also had them measure the correct bore to piston size to make sure everything was right.

Then rerouted the oil lines for the turbo out of one of the feed ports and drain port on the block. My buddy Mark welded up a hard line for the drain line so it added extra support for my 60-1 ct with t3 oil channel.

Sprayed the metal head gasket with copper gasket sealer and installed the head with ARP headstuds.

Shimmed the oil pump and cleaned the piss out of it and rebuilt it. cleaned the oil pump drive as well. Installed those.

Sandblasted and High temp primed and high temp Gloss black the oil pan. A new oil pan from a parts box laying around

installed all the exterior pieces, and turbo was hooked up. Poured oil in the motor and spun the oil pump with a drill, priming the motor and turbo with oil and making sure that there was enough pressure, as i did so, a temporary rubber plug i had installed on the oil feed source on the block exploded off the block and shot ten feet and dented a box with a huge splurge of oil on the ground. everything went well other than that. everything was sealed and no oil leaks.

Threw it on the cherry picker and installed the new Southbend Stage 3 clutch and reground flywheel with the new ARP flywheel bolts. i had to grind the bolts a hair to get the clutch to not hit it when it spins. Installed the r154 and hooked everything up.

Dropped it in the car and connect the driveshaft and shifter with new gear oil.

Took the entire wiring harness apart and re taped and reorganized the entire harness, replaced a couple things hooked the motor up, ran all the New hose techniques red vacuum lines, and hooked up the ignition. Ran all the intercooler piping, intake, and hooked up the original suprasport stamped turbo elbow to the megan downpipe and 3 inch exhaust.

installed the new radiator and flex a light fans, and redid the battery wires and terminals.

Replaced all the fuel injector o rings, and redid the fuel rail.

Did the timing and belts and prepped the motor for start.

Prime started the motor and cranked it over. took a couple times but she eventually started running on her own. But since i had not put a gasket on the O2 sensor and the turbo had sat for so long not taken care of, the seals were blown on My CT26 60-1. so oil was pouring out my exhaust and smoking bad. so i replaced the turbo with a buddys stock extra turbo, only to fire it up again and have that turbo seals blown as well, not as bad, but still.... oil was comming out of my intake.....

The motor itself runs excellent right now for two warm ups. oil pressure is good, fuel pressure is good, temperature is good, and there are only complications with the turbo and oil leaks through hooking up the different turbos. but other than that the car is ready.

So this is where im at right now with no turbo, im saving and selling my Chevy nova to get the money for a rebuild from Evergreen Turbo. I hear great things about them and was referred.

Heres a list of some of the new parts

New radiator
Flex o lite fans
Non turbo block.
new head
new turbo cams
new crankshaft
new ARP main studs, head studs, and flywheel bolts
new driveshaft
new bearings
new piston rings
new oil pump
new MHG
all new engine gaskets and all seals
new vacuum lines
new coolant lines
new radiator hoses
new turbo lines
new compcam valve springs
new valve seals
new water pump
new pulleys
new sensors

etc.....

So after the fourth time rebuilding this car, its finally alive again. thank the good lord.

So let me know what you think? Its my masterpiece.

Here is the video of the startup.
http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1594555867673

here are some pictures, click on the photo albums for more pictures.

~~Every engine part has been sandblasted and powdercoated with Red wagon, Semi Gloss and Gloss black. Everything turned out so nice and pristine.

~~This is the first time I built this motor with all the new parts. Here are a bunch of pics of the cracked block and whatnot, but this block is now a boat anchor anyways.

~~This is the new NA block being honed, sent to the machinist, decked, dipped, and tapped. I then went through a couple wire brushes cleaning the piss outta the block. High temp primered and glossed.

~~Disassembling the head and Cleaning everything. Lapping the valves and reinstalling the new valve springs.

~~My special custom ghetto fabricated valve spring compressor for the 7m head. Works like a charm.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:53 PM
Registered Member

Default Re: Project 7m Supra Reborn.

``Lapping the valves and head. And then Cleaning. Then new Compcam Valve Springs.

~~Then took the crankshaft plugs out and cleaned all the oil passages, scrubbed it, and assembled the bottom end with ARP Studs, new Clevette bearings mains and rods, installed the Shimmed oil pump, pistons, and new NPR rings.
~I plastiguaged every bearing, and checked every piston ring in each cylinder.

~~Attaching the head to the block and starting to assemble the motor.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:55 PM
Registered Member

Installation of the New Southbend Clutch and flywheel. Transmission attached and getting ready to drop in the car.

Now for dropping the motor into the car and hook the transmission and mounts up.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Now to hook everything up and get it ready to start. I redid ALL the wiring in the engine bay and snugged everything up realy nice and clean it all up. Ran the vacuum lines and hoses, and pieced it back together.

Old 01-13-2011, 12:57 PM
psycho jungle cat

Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift Spindrift

I like it but the red paint is abit overkill.
Old 01-13-2011, 12:58 PM
Registered Member

Now its time for the new turbo.
The stock one i had put on to see if it worked better than my turbo so i could at least run it while my turbo was getting rebuilt. It also had blown oil seals....

Straight outta the box, my rebuilt 60-1. So beautiful. I couldnt stop lookin at it, its the nfinal part that will really pull this build together.
This is before i sent it in to get rebuilt..............

And this is after......

---------- Post added at 08:08 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:54 AM ----------

This is my turbo compared to the stock one that i pulled off.

Now for new gaskets and installation..

Original SUPRASPORT Stamped Turbo elbow.........gettin rare nowadays

Old 01-13-2011, 01:04 PM
Registered Member

Well im still working out kinks in the system, adjusted the CPS coreectly for the timing and had to replace the AFM, the O2 Sensor, and the TPS as it wasnt idling right and i pulled the engine codes for it. The turbo is still leaking oil out of the exhaust, which now im gonna check the crankcase pressure and make sure that i dont have a vacuum line pressurizing and hooked up wrong. Also double check the PCV valve. If those arent the issue, the turbo is under warranty and ill send it back to have EVERGREEN check and replace the seals.
I got this far on the build, and ran outta money. Then I fractured the Scaffoid bone in my wrist between my thumb and radius on my right hand, my dominant hand, and thus am in a full arm cast. Its really hindering me and its really fucking annoying having a full arm cast on. I have three weeks of a full arm cast and then 2 months of short arm casts till its fully healed.Booooooo.

This was nearly three months ago. I due to get the cast off on the 24th of january, in two short weeks. Since i had broken my wrist, ive found god in my life, became a very faith based christian and have thus cleaned my life up alot, This past tue ive been a month and a half clean off Drugs and have quit smoking about a week longer than that. I now have put my efforts into more positiove things in my life, and recently enrolled back into college and switched my major to Associates degree in Applied Sciences of Automotive Technology and working towards furthering my development in turning wrenchs and my true passion in life.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
Registered Member

Soooooo, as of this past tuesday, i aquired enough money, and received my turbo so this coming weekend i will spend installing it and FINALLY get my car on the road after a long strenuous journey.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:05 PM
EDM|Mugen|MK3 CRX

.Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge. .Sarge.

The mismatched red engine vs. bay/car looks like ass.

Other than that nice build and post some numbers.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:07 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Spindrift
I like it but the red paint is abit overkill.
thanks, i like it, took forever to powder coat everything, but if you see it in person, it really stands out in the engine bay.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by .Sarge.
The mismatched red engine vs. bay/car looks like ass.

Other than that nice build and post some numbers.
Lol, the car will be repainted come this summer possibly, from it sitting outside with no care, the clearcoat on the car is peeling really bad. so once im driving it, next step is paint. and ill be adjusting some things

i am not sure on what its gonna push yet. ill push 15 to 18 psi max. my goal all along is to break 400 and turn the boost down and just be happy having my car back. ionno yet. its all yet to be determined

Last edited by Supradude7mgte; 01-13-2011 at 01:11 PM.

Quick Reply: Project 7m Supra Reborn.