VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Gallery (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-gallery-87/)
-   -   My 93 MR2 restore tread (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-gallery-87/my-93-mr2-restore-tread-491083/)

Boosted. 06-29-2016 07:43 AM

My 93 MR2 restore tread

I've passed this car for years driving to and from my grand parents, and about a month ago I decided to stop by and ask about it. The guy told me it was his sons car and gave me his number to inquire about, and just to my luck he was actually 2 minutes away from being at his parents house. He showed me around it and I was actually surprised, for I did not expect it to be what it was and what it had.

It is a 93 N/A (originally) so it has the updated rear sub-frame and struts. Also, He had swapped in a 91 turbo engine, LSD turbo trans, and the remainder of the rear turbo clip. It has real Auto-meter Cobalt gauges and either a TRD LSD or another, It also has a very grippy stage two 6-puck ACT clutch that feels awesome. The reason for sitting, he had gone to college right after the swap was done and had no time to drive. So I offered him a price and he accepted. Started right up with a battery charge and fuel additive, and I even drove it home. This thing ran smoother after 4 years of sitting than my truck does.

Day it came home:
http://i68.tinypic.com/iz3pz8.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/10i9ykk.jpg
http://i63.tinypic.com/2ypj9k2.jpg

It still had the original floor mats and original very rare T-Top bags and Toyota service manuals. And after a nice clean, here is the aftermath. Pretty impressed but it will need body work and respray in the future.
http://i63.tinypic.com/3128ffn.jpg

Needs a sub-frame nut welded in plus since it came off from the tack weld, and I want to change all fluids and do a timing belt/ water pump. If anyone has recommendations for the sub-frame bolt let me know. Plan to drive it often and mod subtly along the way. Already have a polished stock hot-pipe with a Greddy Type-S BOV flange ready for it in the future, I will decide what else as time goes.

Jones 06-29-2016 12:54 PM

Re: My 93 MR2 restore tread

Have always loved these cars

NasTHatch 06-29-2016 07:10 PM

I love those in black with the roof scoop and regamasters!

Reloaded 06-29-2016 07:14 PM

Love these cars, but at the same time it's a sad reminder of how far Toyota has fallen when it comes to making cool cars :/

Boosted. 06-30-2016 05:09 AM

It is sad and I feel if they try to revamp some of these hero cars it might just be an utter failure. I just bought practically all maintenance items (K&N air filter, bosch fuel and oil filter, Denso platinum plugs, wires, dizzy cap and rotor) for around 60 bucks shipped new. I love the cheapness of quality parts for these. I'm so glad Toyota was smart enough to use almost the same engines in every car back then.

Yardjass 06-30-2016 08:57 AM

The neighbor has a nice one and I've always liked these cars quite a bit. Good luck with the project, man. It looks pretty good in the picture as it sits.

For the subframe nut, the stock part was actually a captive nut that was tack welded in?

Boosted. 06-30-2016 09:42 AM

Thanks Yard. Yes I didn't believe it until I actually looked it up. That would explain why its a common problem. Its in a tough spot and I'm pretty sure the sub-frame is actually a structural piece on these cars so I would need a good job done to it. I need to research it more first.

Yardjass 06-30-2016 11:12 AM

From what you said, it sounds like it is completely gone, not still there but stripped out, right?

Boosted. 06-30-2016 11:36 AM

Well I actually managed to find a picture of what is wrong with mine. The nut came loose from the sub-frame, The bolt is fine:
http://i66.tinypic.com/ht68zs.jpg
http://i64.tinypic.com/eg23i0.jpg

Yardjass 06-30-2016 03:59 PM

Oh, that fucking blows. The right fabricator could probably fix it. I'm an idiot so I'd be more likely to drop the whole fucking subframe, piece a replacement rear end together, and reinstall it. Use the opportunity to get tubular arms or powdercoat everything or something.

NasTHatch 06-30-2016 06:58 PM

Hey does the horn on that thing blow?

RatchetGoon 06-30-2016 09:57 PM

nice project. cant wait to see the progress

Boosted. 07-01-2016 04:48 AM

Ive been thinking of a tubular sub-frame. It would be downright awesome. And found out yesterday, this thing also has practically new black Energy suspension bushings! I love finding nice surprises. Lol the horn actually blows like a normal car, maybe a little more high pitched. Thanks everyone I'm looking forward to making progress. It's also nice to get people talking on here again. Hate to see 150+ people on the forum with only 2 of them being members.

Yardjass 07-01-2016 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted. (Post 8372086)
Ive been thinking of a tubular sub-frame. It would be downright awesome. And found out yesterday, this thing also has practically new black Energy suspension bushings! I love finding nice surprises. Lol the horn actually blows like a normal car, maybe a little more high pitched. Thanks everyone I'm looking forward to making progress. It's also nice to get people talking on here again. Hate to see 150+ people on the forum with only 2 of them being members.

This. When I actually (hopefully) start my LS swap, probably in a couple weeks, I'll put updates on here. I guess I should be putting the Miata stuff up too but I'm just too lazy to document that.

Edit: Wait, you can get a tubular subframe for those? That's pretty badass. I was more referring to just getting another stock one and tubular control arms, and doing everything up before install.

Boosted. 07-01-2016 06:40 AM

LS swap the 300zx or the Miata? Btw, saw the at spring fest and must give a kudos, It brings a smile to my face seeing 90's cars fresh and clean.

And I'm not sure on the tubular sub-frame. I would think there would be since these are used as track specific cars often. And used stock ones go for probably as much as a tubular one would cost since I would need the 93+. Also doesn't help that finding a 93+ sub-frame for these is as rare as finding a person my age that doesn't think there entitled to everything and complain about everything that doesn't go their way.

Reloaded 07-01-2016 08:20 AM

I really like this MR2, but I'm a sucker for obnoxious colors.

https://www.vadriven.com/forums/show...&highlight=mr2

https://i55.photobucket.com/albums/g...58610022_n.jpg

I think if I couldn't do lime green, I'd do a deep blue like the color used on the 350Zs

Yardjass 07-01-2016 11:24 AM

^^^^^ :love:

Originally Posted by Boosted. (Post 8372088)
LS swap the 300zx or the Miata? Btw, saw the at spring fest and must give a kudos, It brings a smile to my face seeing 90's cars fresh and clean.

And I'm not sure on the tubular sub-frame. I would think there would be since these are used as track specific cars often. And used stock ones go for probably as much as a tubular one would cost since I would need the 93+. Also doesn't help that finding a 93+ sub-frame for these is as rare as finding a person my age that doesn't think there entitled to everything and complain about everything that doesn't go their way.

The Z. It's gonna be an LOJ conversions kit. I'm surprised used parts for your car cost that much. I'm used to Z parts that you can't give away, other than what the 240 people want. Do MR2 facebook sale pages or anything like that exist?

Boosted. 07-01-2016 12:25 PM

He was a member on here I think Probegte or something along those lines with that green MR2. My MR2 before this one was the stock MR2 Tropical Metallic blue and it is one of the most beautiful colors for a car, Also so is the original Viper GTS blue.

That is going to be wicked when your done with that thing. I hope to see it done and meet some of you guys at a cars and coffee one day. I used to go a lot. There wasn't that many 2's made so finding new parts and aftermarket backup is somewhat hard. I have to look for one on facebook I haven't even thought of that. I usually just watch over the MR2 owners forums like a hawk for good parts.

TATTRAT 07-04-2016 06:31 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This one does it for me, I love everything about it.

Attachment 188691

Attachment 188692

1mz-fe from a Lexus es300. Turbo'd.

NasTHatch 07-04-2016 07:00 PM

It amazes me with the clever fucking swaps people do!

turbotwo1 07-05-2016 12:43 AM

Man I miss my 93 turbo. Still have the Mad PSI hood from it and sold the car almost 8 years ago. Thinking I should sell the thing but at the same time really would like another MR2 at some point.

Boosted. 07-05-2016 05:43 AM

I haven't seen that MR2 before because usually you see builds like that all over the forums. People swap in 2GR's all the time now along with the 1mz and such.

Well worst case scenario came up, I now have to travel far to and from work and the car is located in the opposite direction. Now I will barely have time to even work on it, so I'm probably going to have to sell it :(. I hate work. If anyone is interested it will be on Craigslist while I try to convince myself I have the time for it. This happens every time I get a project.

Boosted. 07-06-2016 04:44 AM

Update: keeping the car since I made a compromise with work. Trying to get it to daily driver status very soon. Any shop recommendations for that sub-frame bolt?

Yardjass 07-06-2016 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted. (Post 8372139)
Update: keeping the car since I made a compromise with work. Trying to get it to daily driver status very soon. Any shop recommendations for that sub-frame bolt?

Yeah, take it to a shop and let them tack a nut in. Normally I'd recommend rivet nuts but they probably don't come that big and can't take that kind of torque. It's also kind of expensive to buy all of that tooling for a one time repair.

I'd really just take it to a shop. It shouldn't take very long or cost very much at all. Either that or actually go ahead and replace the whole subframe.

Blue2turbo 07-07-2016 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by Reloaded (Post 8372089)
I think if I couldn't do lime green, I'd do a deep blue like the color used on the 350Zs

I had the same thought... my current car, its been at Springfest twice I believe, just turned to doing more work on it and kind of fell to the wayside, but should be back on the road soon with quite a few changes.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t...me06/pic13.jpg

As for the tubular subframe, I don't think there is a shop that makes one, you'd have to have one custom made. As for a replacement 93' subframe, check craigslist in the DC area, there is always a guy up there parting out MR2s. My buddy local used to part them out as well, and I have in the past too, but we are both currently out of that business so I'm not sure what he has left.

As for who can fix the subframe, if you're in the Hampton Roads area, I would say either Abacus Racing or Ramey Built should be able to tack the nut back on.

As for parts, I don't know what you're looking for, but I know I have a spare Berk Tech intercooler kit, MSD Ignition Setup, and AEM EMS with sensors sitting in the garage and I may potentially have an HKS Hiper Exhaust and KO Streetbrawler turbo kit.

Been doing MR2's for a long time so if you ever need any info or questions, I'm more than happy to help if I can.

Boosted. 07-07-2016 10:28 AM

I haven't seen your car at Springfest yet and I've been the last few times. I'll figure something out with the sub-frame I really haven't gotten a chance to get underneath yet. I'm trying to take the modding slow since I have a thing for lightly modded MR2's. Next thing would probably be exhaust since I have the bov ready for it.

Here's my previous 2. I'm a moron for selling it. Yours is almost the same color as mine was, yours looks lighter though.

http://i64.tinypic.com/2agnhhz.jpg

Blue2turbo 07-07-2016 11:26 AM

It was at Springfest years ago, hell I don't even remember if it was called SpringFest back then, was back in like 2009 or somewhere around there.

Mine is actually the 350z Daytona Metallic Pearl that Reloaded was referring to, which is why I thought it was funny he mentioned it.

If you're on stock turbo, you'll probably want to go Turboback exhaust, simple manual boost controller set to 15psi and then an intercooler. That will pretty much tap you out without going to a turbo upgrade. Work comp doesn't let me see the pic, but I'll take a look when I get out of here!

Boosted. 07-07-2016 12:02 PM

I was just getting my first or second car in 2009 haha.

Those were some of my closer plans for mods. I want to steadily mod it so I don't have to have months of down time. Your the only other MR2 owner I've had any contact with locally the 5 years of had them lol. My old MR2 I posted is actually Viper GTS blue. It is very close to the stock tropical blue.

Also got all my parts in so I will be posting pictures when I clean the bay up a little and hopefully get her running good enough finally.

NasTHatch 07-07-2016 03:28 PM

Fuck that blue color go with Yamaha R1 shift red ! Sexiest color ever

Blue2turbo 07-08-2016 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by Boosted. (Post 8372162)
I was just getting my first or second car in 2009 haha.

Those were some of my closer plans for mods. I want to steadily mod it so I don't have to have months of down time. Your the only other MR2 owner I've had any contact with locally the 5 years of had them lol. My old MR2 I posted is actually Viper GTS blue. It is very close to the stock tropical blue.

Also got all my parts in so I will be posting pictures when I clean the bay up a little and hopefully get her running good enough finally.

Yea I used to be the one who would organize some of the MR2 specific car meets at Trashmore years back. I think we had 2 or 3 in the area before I ran out of time to keep planning them. I still know a handful of owners local, who still have their cars, but it's definitely a dying crowd.

Sikvic 07-09-2016 03:37 AM

Good find man!

Reloaded 07-09-2016 03:51 PM

I saw a 2nd gen MR2 today in Newport News up by Patrick Henry, it's the first time I've seen one on the road in years.

Also I love the MR2 Spyder, I know it doesn't get a lot of love but I always thought it was a poor mans Porsche Carrera GT.

I'd love to have one for messing around on the weekends.

NasTHatch 07-09-2016 04:48 PM

I see a boosted red one on my side of the water all the time

Boosted. 07-11-2016 04:47 AM

I've been seriously thinking about getting a spyder as a daily. Engines are unstoppable and you can swap in a 2zz pretty easy. They are also rumored to handle as good as the MK1's.

There is a showroom clean red MR2 on Craigslist right now for 17k. Literally looks like it rolled out of the factory yesterday.

Yardjass 07-11-2016 06:28 AM

Lol 17k is too much for an MRS

Boosted. 07-11-2016 09:17 AM

The one for 17k is actually a 94 gen 2. I wouldn't pay more than 6,000 for a good MRS.