Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

My 2011 5.0 gets boosted - Turbo Install/Dyno Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 10:28 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva
Default My 2011 5.0 gets boosted - Turbo Install/Dyno Thread

I'm going to start this thread off a bit light since I want to track how this install moves along from beginning to end. I just recently purchased the new Hellion single turbo kit for the 2011-2012 Mustang GT in April and it just arrived as of today. I did quite a bit of research and struggled for over a month which way to really go with a big power adder for this vehicle. I know supercharging this engine is by far the most popular route, so I spent a great deal of time trying to find a supercharger that met my needs and was going to have room to grow in for future modding.

After looking for a bit, I came to realize superchargers were not going to give me what I wanted. I wanted something reliable for the car with highway driving, but I needed to not sacrifice my fuel economy. I also wanted something where I could easily stay out of the boost powerband so the car would remain to comfortable for city driving. The vision became pretty clear that turbo was the way to go. With the new 5.0 I had (at that moment) 4 real turbo options:
1. Hellion single turbo
2. Fastlane single turbo
3. Wait for Powerhouse's turbo kit to be released and make a decision then (who knows how long that might be)
4. Attempt to have a kit fabricated

I pretty much did not want to wait an unknown amount of time to see how Powerhouse's turbo kit would end up being. I sure as hell didn't want to get a kit fabricated on the spot. It pretty much came down to Hellion or Fastlane. Fastlane's kit appeared to be overall a nicer kit with the piping, but the turbocharger was in the engine bay. I honestly didn't like that as much since I didn't want to go with a cowl hood just to get some better heat-escaping ventilation for the engine bay. I liked Hellion's kit because it places the kit in the front of the vehicle underneath the headlight (like many of the other single and twin turbo kits have done in the past). This kept some of the turbocharger's heat away. What I didn't like was the piping runs under the A-arms which does leave it at risk of speedbumps beating the shit out of it. I didn't really have intentions of slamming the vehicle's ride height too harsh so I felt a bit more at ease about it. Most of all, there was a huge price difference: Hellion = $6000. Fastlane = $9000. Hellion as had a great reputation for quality products and excellent customer service. So the decision at that point made...

As I said I'll keep this thread updated. We should have everything installed, tuned, and dyno'd before the end of June.

Here's some pics of the car and the kit:

Last edited by Qwiksillva; 07-11-2011 at 09:53 AM.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:33 AM

nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo nismo
Default Re: My 2011 5.0 gets boosted - Turbo Install/Dyno Thread

Winning.

sub'd
Old 06-01-2011, 10:53 AM
poopshootgangordie.

Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus Caucasian Jesus

I really like the new mustangs, and I have a feeling I'm really gonna like yours.
Old 06-01-2011, 10:58 AM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

Awesome!!

Just curious ... but why no opt for the Ford Racing Blower, and still have a warranty?

JDM74 did this with his 2011, made some nice power with it as well. Either way your going to love it. I know a handful of guys with Hellion kits, hell wished I bought one for my fox instead of using that bullshit ghetto HP kit.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:01 AM
RevTek

calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol calisol

Originally Posted by White Jesus
I really like the new mustangs, and I have a feeling I'm really gonna like yours.
x2

never really liked moosetangz but if i owned one it would be this body style.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered Member

Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva Qwiksillva

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
Awesome!!

Just curious ... but why no opt for the Ford Racing Blower, and still have a warranty?

JDM74 did this with his 2011, made some nice power with it as well. Either way your going to love it. I know a handful of guys with Hellion kits, hell wished I bought one for my fox instead of using that bullshit ghetto HP kit.
I thought about it, trust me. Only the 525 horsepower will let you keep the warranty and you have to let Ford install it. The 624 horsepower kit will void your warranty no matter what, and it's really the exact same kit with a different pulley. I would like to keep the warranty, but the way I see it is I'm going to like the kit so much I'm going to want to crank up the boost, which will require me to build a motor. If I blow the motor for any reason, then I guess I'll have an excuse to build a motor at that point.
Old 06-01-2011, 11:04 AM
BACK IN A G8

2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr 2ltrgsr

wow i'd really like to take a ride in this thing when its all said and done
Old 06-01-2011, 11:05 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

In
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
RHD all day

TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid TheNiteKid

Originally Posted by 2ltrgsr
wow i'd really like to take a ride in this thing when its all said and done
words right out of my mouth
Old 06-01-2011, 11:08 AM
Super Secret Agent

Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer Archer

Very nice. What type of #s are you expecting?

Quick Reply: My 2011 5.0 gets boosted - Turbo Install/Dyno Thread