Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Eric the car guy....wtf

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 AM
Don't quit!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia
Unhappy Eric the car guy....wtf

So I was searching YouTube for some videos and stumbled across this.
This dude is nuts..has to be some of the funniest shit I've seen.
The thing is this is what happens all the time to Hondas.
People taking short cuts and hacking shit up.
Kinda pissed me off honestly, do it right the 1st time and get the right part.
If your going to modify something or fabricate do it right not half assed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T0gd3V9QLhw
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0
Default Re: Eric the car guy....wtf

While it is dumb to use an incorrect distributor, since you don't really know where the timing is dependent on which distributor you are replacing it with, as opposed to the original dizzy; take identical parts out of a nearly identical distributor that all function exactly the same, is not dumb. Obviously you can compensate potentially by running a higher octane fuel just in case, and let the ECU adjust itself to whatever degree it can/needs to.

Do you know how many import alternators are exactly identical minus the actual plug for the internal voltage regulator? Remove the flimsy cover and it's like 4 screws to remove and replace one. Price to replace those can vary between $100 depending on the vehicle itself.

All that said, his order of operations is annoying, and his terminology just frustrates me.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 AM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

If it was me, soon as I saw it was the wrong one off to the parts store I go to return it.

But that's just me
Old 03-28-2013, 08:55 AM
Don't quit!

Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia Somalia

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
While it is dumb to use an incorrect distributor, since you don't really know where the timing is dependent on which distributor you are replacing it with, as opposed to the original dizzy; take identical parts out of a nearly identical distributor that all function exactly the same, is not dumb. Obviously you can compensate potentially by running a higher octane fuel just in case, and let the ECU adjust itself to whatever degree it can/needs to.

Do you know how many import alternators are exactly identical minus the actual plug for the internal voltage regulator? Remove the flimsy cover and it's like 4 screws to remove and replace one. Price to replace those can vary between $100 depending on the vehicle itself.

All that said, his order of operations is annoying, and his terminology just frustrates me.
Very true, imo he should have just rebuilt the one he took of the car or get a casing identical to it and use the guts from the one he took them out of.
But just they way he explains things annoys the hell out of me like my boss lol
Old 03-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Don't quit!

Originally Posted by DOOM
If it was me, soon as I saw it was the wrong one off to the parts store I go to return it.

But that's just me
Yes sir, I'm the same way.
I mean we could in theory use other parts and modify them....but why if Honda did it right the first time??
Not only that but the install looks questionable as hell. One bolt holding it on???
I kinda like it when my car is reliable and I am not gonna be concerned with it jumping timing.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:14 AM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

Yea, he said the "bushing" was ate up, which is questionable, but he had a box of other dizzys he didn't even touch. Could have easily had another identical casing, but for the sake of his single-run filming, he skips logical, easily thought of remedies.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:16 AM
C.R.E.A.M

DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM DOOM

Originally Posted by Somalia
Yes sir, I'm the same way.
I mean we could in theory use other parts and modify them....but why if Honda did it right the first time??
Not only that but the install looks questionable as hell. One bolt holding it on???
I kinda like it when my car is reliable and I am not gonna be concerned with it jumping timing.
The only way id modify something to work, would be on the side of the road or if im in a remote place with limited parts.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:20 AM
Digital Life

Originally Posted by DOOM
The only way id modify something to work, would be on the side of the road or if im in a remote place with limited parts.
This. When I got my 1st 89 civic at 16, the rotor screw started coming out anytime I'd rev past 6. Left me stranded one night with no tools and no clue what the hell happened. Had a Honda buddy come out, pulled the cap and lost the screw, but pulled an interior screw and got it in. Fired up and got me home. Shit like that is one thing, but when you've got a ton of parts laying around, not pressed for time, and you're making an instructional video, why the hell would do this?
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 AM
Don't quit!

Originally Posted by 83Stang5.0
Yea, he said the "bushing" was ate up, which is questionable, but he had a box of other dizzys he didn't even touch. Could have easily had another identical casing, but for the sake of his single-run filming, he skips logical, easily thought of remedies.
That's right forgot he mentioned that.
"You figure it out." -Eric the car guy lmao
Old 03-28-2013, 09:23 AM
Don't quit!

I'm surprised that he didn't use bubble gum for the gasket.

Quick Reply: Eric the car guy....wtf