Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Element Tuning Subaru STI crash @ VIR @ near 150 mph.... Phil walked away...

Old 03-30-2010, 05:40 PM
Fanboi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B
Default Element Tuning Subaru STI crash @ VIR @ near 150 mph.... Phil walked away...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LnmD7kxHUw
Originally Posted by Element Tuning
First off I can't thank the VIR Emergency crew enough for being responsive, professional, and gentile! Not only did they take great medical care of me but we barely had to lift a finger and they put our wrecked car right into our trailer. Thank you!

Also, VIR what a great place to crash! The two tire walls, armco, and jersey barriers I'm sure helped absorb the impact to have allowed me to escape without even having to visit the hospital!

If you hadn't heard of me I race TTU in the Element Tuning Subaru STi. Prior to this season we needed more downforce to compete in other racing organizations. In NASA TTU I'm power limited but have managed a 1:59.00 which is fast but without power limitations were looking to run sub 1:57s. Ultimately one of the modifications we made was to raise the carbon APR wing into "clean" air to gain downforce. The carbon wing structurally couldn't handle this and it failed coming off the car leaving the first set of esses (I didn't realize this as I headed into the climbing esses).

A big special thanks to my crew: James Fournier, Eddie Echols, and James Mulhern for handling everything over the weekend or for showing me a good time on Saturday night!

Thanks,
Phil Grabow
I was 2 cars behind when his wing snapped off.... didn't realized it was his wing I was dodging (he was way ahead ) until I looked up and saw him rolling.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:44 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin
Default Re: Element Tuning Subaru STI crash @ VIR @ near 150 mph.... Phil walked away...

Holy fuck.

for saftey equipment.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Registered member

Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol Will Sol
Default Re: Element Tuning Subaru STI crash @ VIR @ near 150 mph.... Phil walked away...

Holy shit... he is gonna be sore!
Old 03-30-2010, 05:50 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

He had his arm in a sling Saturday afternoon when he got back to the pits and it was off Sunday... he was fine. He was pitted right next to me. They think the wing failed becuase it wasn't designed to be mounted up high in the clean air. It was one of those wings with the "hump" in the center. When putting a wing up high it needs to be flat accross.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Cock chugginton

Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost

Shit like that makes me scared to take my shit out there cause A: Never done it. B: I would cry like a bitch if I wrecked C: No money to fix so back to B
Old 03-30-2010, 05:53 PM
<3

Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate Axelerate

Originally Posted by Grifter757
Shit like that makes me scared to take my shit out there cause A: Never done it. B: I would cry like a bitch if I wrecked C: No money to fix so back to B
Well you wont be going 150 any where at VIR so don't worry too much about it.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:54 PM
Fanboi

No reason to be scared.... just need to respect what you're doing. When you're a noob you won't be doing anything anywhere clost to what Phil was doing there.... you'll be going about 1/10th the speed and be learning so much you don't have time to go fast.

You don't magically wreck.... you only have to drive as fast as you want. You can look at it like a nice backroads drive w/o any cops when you're new to it all.
Old 03-30-2010, 05:59 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

That steering wheel snapped with nothing touching it at all it looks like...
Old 03-30-2010, 06:00 PM
Fanboi

It his his legs.... hard to see in the video, but that's what he said at the track.
Old 03-30-2010, 06:02 PM
Zero Fighter

rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3 rall14RT3

WOW! I guess those Gt wings do help.

Quick Reply: Element Tuning Subaru STI crash @ VIR @ near 150 mph.... Phil walked away...