Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

Detailing the classic mini

Old 01-31-2013, 10:49 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MR_X has disabled reputation
Default Re: Detailing the classic mini

Originally Posted by Yep4doors
Uhh he wants to be precise and careful with the paint, even with a variable speed buffer. Hence, why he is doing it by hand and not with a buffer isn't as precise as doing it by hand.
Dude you obviously don't know shit about detailing paint. Google wet sanding car paint.
Old 02-01-2013, 07:32 AM
Evil Bumblebee

milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG

I am using a variable speed buffer...the scratches on the car arent serious enough to warrant wet sanding (usually reserved for heavily scarred clearcoat/paint) but if i have scratches id like to take out i have a more aggressive orange pad and i use prima Cut to take out the scratch then follow with the white pad and prima Swirl.

wet sanding wouldnt have cured the large amount of crap that was sitting on the paint...in fact it would have exacerbated it...i buy my products and get my tips and advice from a pro detailer friend in LA...he has seen and corrected alot of fucked up paint before...
http://www.showcardetailing.com/
Old 02-01-2013, 12:26 PM
Registered Member

Is that the original paint (which I don't think it is)? If it is, IMO it would be worth wet sanding. If you really want to do it, I'll help you. I'm stationed in EL Centro, about an hour east of you.
Old 02-01-2013, 04:34 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

dude the last thing he wants to do is revert to wetsanding an entire car and removing more clear after its been cured and probably already done when it was painted. Hes doing it right, washing, claybarring, polishing, waxing. That's how it should be done. let him be. Any of that peel or texture you're seeing might not even be in the clear, could be in the primer or the sealer or base depending on who sprayed it and such. They could have already wetsanded and buffed that entire car and removed all the texture from the clear. If you go sanding it well you would just be wasting your time and removing clear when you can just do a proper detail on it. Leave him to his car.

Looking good milano.
Old 02-01-2013, 05:42 PM
wharlgarbl

notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline notsogoodfeline

I still want one of these sooo bad!
Old 02-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
dude the last thing he wants to do is revert to wetsanding an entire car and removing more clear after its been cured and probably already done when it was painted. Hes doing it right, washing, claybarring, polishing, waxing. That's how it should be done. let him be. Any of that peel or texture you're seeing might not even be in the clear, could be in the primer or the sealer or base depending on who sprayed it and such. They could have already wetsanded and buffed that entire car and removed all the texture from the clear. If you go sanding it well you would just be wasting your time and removing clear when you can just do a proper detail on it. Leave him to his car.

Looking good milano.
If the car has the original paint, it is a single stage, with no clear coat. But you are right, it isn't my car. It just that car like that would look really nice with smooth paint. My original suggestion was joking due to the size of the car. Just got side tracked.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:39 PM
Evil Bumblebee

milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG milanored95EG

it isnt the original oe paint however it is the original color...it isnt a very early model so it came with a multi-stage paint when i took ownership...so the clear was stripped and a fresh coat of paint added before it was recleared then wetsanded and buffed before i took control of it again...the problem is if you just wet-sand the paint instead of just a less abrasive claybar and buff...you will eventually strip all of the clear off...the orange peel in the paint is just how these usually look upclose...maybe down the road i would have the car stripped down to bare metal and redone...
Old 02-02-2013, 04:26 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

Originally Posted by MR_X
If the car has the original paint, it is a single stage, with no clear coat. But you are right, it isn't my car. It just that car like that would look really nice with smooth paint. My original suggestion was joking due to the size of the car. Just got side tracked.

if it was the original paint,then your suggestion of wetsanding and buffing is even more ridiculous on a car with single stage paint. Just saying. You have to be really balsy and a fantastically skilled detail man to wetsand a single stage paintjob in the first place, one that is really old like if this were original paint even more so. Sanding clear and buffing it is touchy enough, doing that to single stage would be a worrisome nightmare as you can burn that shit so easily. If it was a freshly painted car, than I would agree. Sand and buff the entire thing. But thats on fresh clear, cured old clear is not fun to buff after its been sitting for 5 years. But agreed, its his car, hes doing it right and doing a good job at it.

Originally Posted by milanored95EG
it isnt the original oe paint however it is the original color...it isnt a very early model so it came with a multi-stage paint when i took ownership...so the clear was stripped and a fresh coat of paint added before it was recleared then wetsanded and buffed before i took control of it again...the problem is if you just wet-sand the paint instead of just a less abrasive claybar and buff...you will eventually strip all of the clear off...the orange peel in the paint is just how these usually look upclose...maybe down the road i would have the car stripped down to bare metal and redone...
I wouldn't worry about it, you're pretty much going to have a little bit of texture with the combination of primer, sealer, base/ mid coats and clear. Its just inevitable with the layers stacking up on top of each other even if you block and wetsand everything. With the angled lighted pictures you will always see a little bit of texture no matter what. Not really from any lack of preparing the surfaces and polishing, just simply from the material. Paint doesn't look bad at all and it looks like you are doing a great job with the buffing process.
Old 02-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by MORE IMPATIENT
if it was the original paint,then your suggestion of wetsanding and buffing is even more ridiculous on a car with single stage paint. Just saying. You have to be really balsy and a fantastically skilled detail man to wetsand a single stage paintjob in the first place, one that is really old like if this were original paint even more so. Sanding clear and buffing it is touchy enough, doing that to single stage would be a worrisome nightmare as you can burn that shit so easily. If it was a freshly painted car, than I would agree. Sand and buff the entire thing. But thats on fresh clear, cured old clear is not fun to buff after its been sitting for 5 years. But agreed, its his car, hes doing it right and doing a good job at it.
I use a Porter Cable with an aggressive pad and depending on the how much wet sanding I do, I use different compounds. On a single stage paint job is actually more forgiving because you don't have to worry about sanding through the clear coat, but the objective is the same for both, polishing the finish. I just sold my 300zx that was covered on rail dust. Claybar wasn't doing it so I had to wet sand the entire car. The car was 2 stage but the bumper was single stage rattle can that I did on a new bumper.

Rail dust. It had a sand paper feel to it.

My test area of wet sanding

The finish product

My single stage paint bumper after wet sanding the orange peel.

With the Porter Cable it is actually really easy to do. I don't have to worry about burning the finish. I do this as my second form of income.
Old 02-02-2013, 11:11 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

well, we will just agree to disagree. You feel good doing it, than tits up for you ha. I think single stage is less forgiving as so much of the color can come off depending on what your trying to sand out, a piece of dirt, a sag, orange peel etc etc and if you aren't careful you will end up with a light spot in the paint job if you sat on a spot too long and removed a little too much pigment.. I would much rather polish clearcoat as you aren't effecting the color unless you whoopsy and burn the clear. I personally hate single stage paint, even the good stuff unless it is topped with 2 coats of clear. I refuse to spray it in the past and still refuse to spray it today. I would rather stick with base/clear but that is simply a preference. Mainly cause if you fuck up during single stage well than you're fucked and have to do the entire panel over again. If your're using clear and you get a run or sag or whatnot, relatively easy to correct with a block, some 1500-2000 grit and a buffer.

Yes, I do it as a second form of income as well....body and paint, that of course includes sanding and buffing.

Of course where it differs is Im usually sanding and polishing fresh fresh paint and rarely deal with cured cars, unless Im doing a side job at the house or polishing up my own cars. But I don't need to worry about sanding cured paint since I can usually just claybar and buff to a perfect finish.

I guess its simply just preference.

Quick Reply: Detailing the classic mini