Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

BMW M3 GTS. Lots of slow-mo

Old 05-23-2010, 02:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02
Default BMW M3 GTS. Lots of slow-mo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzDOpVasHM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCzDOpVasHM I used the search button, didn't see any similar post in the past few months, enjoy.

Last edited by erik02; 05-23-2010 at 02:20 PM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:00 PM
Going Nowhere Fast

S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt S2Kitt
Default Re: BMW M3 GTS. Lots of slow-mo

I like everthing but the wing. Seems out of place, lol like a Auto Zone special.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 PM
i like kittahs

UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag UberJag

Originally Posted by S2Kitt
I like everthing but the wing. Seems out of place, lol like a Auto Zone special.
Wing is functional.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:52 PM
FUCKIN MAGNETS

shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22 shawn22

How much downforce does it put down at what mph?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered Member

erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02 erik02

Originally Posted by shawn22
How much downforce does it put down at what mph?

I know this doesn't answer your question with pure numbers, but here is the reason behind it.
http://www.m-power.com/_open/s/edito...d=2018&lang=en
Interview with Markus Schadow, BMW M aerodynamics development.
5. Nov. 09

MPW: Mr. Schadow, the BMW M3 GTS has clearly visible dynamic measures with its front splitter and rear wing. The aerodynamics of the BMW M3 GTS is clear for all to see. Optimised for downforce. Why?

Schadow: The power which can be transferred from the contact area of the tyres to the road depends on tyre properties, the position of the tyre on the road - i.e. axle kinematics - and the wheel vertical force. Our measures are all about increasing the wheel vertical force. The higher the wheel vertical force, the higher the level of longitudinal and transverse acceleration which can be achieved.
MPW: An increase in vehicle weight would also increase wheel vertical force ...

Schadow: (laughs). That's certainly true. But more mass also generates greater forces of inertia and centrifugal forces. So this doesn’t do any good. On the contrary: the tyre-specific maximum load is reached earlier on, and the longitudinal and transverse acceleration can only be raised to this point, since above this point grip is lost. So what is required is low weight combined with maximum wheel vertical force. Which is why we generate downforce. However, the measures to increase downforce also increase aerodynamic drag. This is why they are adjustable in their effect in the BMW M3 GTS.

MPW: At the front axle, the downforce is generated by means of a longitudinally adjustable front splitter ...

Schadow: Yes, we chose this solution so as to limit the everyday suitability of the vehicle as little as possible and have sufficient ground clearance in racing set-up on the Nordschleife.
MPW: How does the front splitter actually work?

Schadow: While the car is moving, the pressure which builds up in front of the vehicle above the panel of the front splitter which is parallel to the ground is much greater than in the free stream of air below it. This creates a downforce. The lift force which you get in the standard BMW M3 is thus turned around.
MPW: And why the impressive rear wing in the BMW M3 GTS?

Schadow: The rear axle has a very important role to play in terms of drive stability. In order to be able to achieve a high level of drive stability at high speeds, we need at least as much downforce on the rear axle as on the front axle - ideally it should be significantly higher.

MPW: Why don’t you use a diffuser?

Schadow: A diffuser which would meet the space requirements here would be far less effective than the rear wing. We would never be able to reach a level of downforce required for a reasonable aerodynamic balance. This is also why in every racing series which allows the use of a rear wing, the cars are fitted with one. The rear wing of the BMW M3 GTS generates a high level of downforce and therefore drive stability.
So we can expect some good lap times?

(laughs). You’re certainly in for a surprise!
Mr. Schadow, thank you for talking to us.
Old 05-23-2010, 05:06 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

one question sticks out... this guy's driving it at 10/10ths, on a track, with a full rollcage... without a helmet???
Old 05-24-2010, 06:20 AM
Registered Member

iochim has disabled reputation

nice
Old 05-24-2010, 06:27 AM
Ultraspeed

kirill has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by blackout
one question sticks out... this guy's driving it at 10/10ths, on a track, with a full rollcage... without a helmet???
Its Europe. They do what they want.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam FlimFlam

Originally Posted by blackout
He's not really driving 10/10ths, just sliding a car around. And thats a rollbar, not a full rollcage.

Jus sayin.
Old 05-24-2010, 09:57 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by FlimFlam
He's not really driving 10/10ths, just sliding a car around. And thats a rollbar, not a full rollcage.

Jus sayin.
Well it looked like a full roll cage. I know I saw at least one bar within proximity to his head. And even sliding the car around, he could easily knock himself out- if not him, then I'm sure some dumb yuppie would fall victim to it. In a crash... eww.

I wouldn't buy that car just for that reason alone. I'd have to wear a helmet to go to the grocery store if I wanted to make sure I stayed within the bounds of my life insurance agreement.

A track car specifically, that's another story... but I'd probably rather have a gt3 rs. Probably comparable price-wise...

Sounds damn good though.

Quick Reply: BMW M3 GTS. Lots of slow-mo