Notices
Automotive Gallery Vehicle (meaning anything with an engine) and related pictures and videos go here, everything else goes in one of the Eye-Candy forums.

240z Restore + LSJuan build (long first post)

Old 03-11-2010, 05:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge
Default 240z Restore + LSJuan build (long first post)

Cobra4B suggested I make a build thread here for this car. Why not? I know of three other guys on here with S30's, two of which with threads I've seen. Copypasta with some editing.

I've owned a 280z for three years now. First time I saw a S30 I knew I had to eventually have one, and that day came sooner than I thought. I was balls deep in love with the car as soon as I sat in it.

Last January ('09) I got the itch to start working on the Z and sell my s13. So I started collecting parts while I look for a clean shell. Picked up a 2002 Vette LS1 with only 700 original miles, fender mirrors, random motor related parts, JCI mounts and driveshaft, JTR manifolds and radiator (Still waiting on), and wheels through the Rota RB-R gb.

March '09 I found the shell i wanted, and today she was delivered! $1500 for a clean shell, parts car, and an ENORMOUS amount of spare parts including new Nismo seats, a good condition R200V, and rear louvers which I've always wanted for my 280. Sad thing is the parts car only has 48k original miles. Last date on the title is 1992, must have been sitting and rotting away since then. I only have one picture since I spent most of the time after they were dropped off sorting through parts and moving the parts car around by hand (so glad these cars are as light as they are).

so i havent made much progress with this car since i got it. i havent had any room or time to work on the car yet. i sold the track car less than a month ago so i finally have space in the garage for it. but then it started snowing 8+ inches every weekend and halfway through the week, so that kept me from even pulling it in! but its done snowing for the year, and whats left is still melting so hopefully i'll be able to pull it in soon.

i've spent about $14k on parts so far and have the build priced out to about $30k. the car came with next to no interior parts, so i'm going to have to find and price those out too.

i have still been collecting parts so i'll just post some pics of what i have for now. so far i've ordered:
-fiberglass hood and hatch from johnc at Beta
-TechnoToyTuning suspension arms
-Stance GR+ Pro coilovers for a S13
-255/40 and 245/40 Federal 595s (will later move on to Advans)
-fiberglass front and rear bumpers
-HKB steering wheel fromt RHDJapan
-Boss hub adapter
-JTR stuff listed in first post
-JCI stuff listed in first post
-fender mirrors
-fender flares
-Rota RB-R's
-weld in camber plates
-and a TON of misc interior and engine parts

and just for fun, here i am with my black 280z at a local Z Car Show (lower right corner). you can see the tip of Eiji's (Datsun Spirit) gnose in the upper right

i managed to push the Z into the garage last week and started work on it immediately. test fitted the fiberglass hood and hatch, both fit great! the hood is a little bowed out where it meets the cowl but thats an easy fix.
pulled out the dash, steering column, heater core, blower motor, and quarter windows same night. when i pulled out the dash, a mountain of sand came out from behind it! hmmm.
i finally got a weekend off work so i'm gonna try to get as much done as possible this weekend.

Cant get a very good shot with my phone, meh. This single mirror took way too long. I had two grinding stones on my dremel grenade so I had to resort to sanding for those last few millimeters. Its not quite aligned exactly how I need it or completely flush with the fender. In due time. I wasnt paying attention when I was drilling, and the vibrations from said drilling made the mirror slowly sneak towards the edge of the fender. It fell off twice, and slightly chipped the very edge of the glass . Its only noticeable up close though. I'll replace it if the chips irk my nerves enough. I'm not a perfectionist.

I had read that the outer diameter of the strut tube and inner diameter of a S13 front lower coilover bracket were the same. This is not true. I'm either going to get some steel tubing to weld onto the strut tube and weld the coilover bracket to that, or just order some Arizona Z Car coils. I would love to run the Stance coils on this car though.

Last edited by iHeartTouge; 03-11-2010 at 05:38 PM.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:45 PM
sccooopp

Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat Dearhat
Default Re: 240z Restore + LSJuan build (long first post)

i love datsuns.
im thinking of doing up a 510 myself.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:49 PM
I Roll Fenders

WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia WishIHadaSilvia

Damn dude I totally forgot you were doing this!! I haven't been on LookOut in a minute.

I can't lie though. I feel a little dirty for not having a problem with you putting a LS1 in this, haha.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:38 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

You know how I feel about this!

Also- check the Hybrid-Z vendors forum. There's a decent coilover solution coming soon. Too bad fortune dropped out.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:39 PM
ig oggggg

yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15 yanko 15

i likeyyyy
Old 03-11-2010, 06:47 PM
Registered Member

iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge iHeartTouge

Originally Posted by Kris.Is.Foamin

You know how I feel about this!

Also- check the Hybrid-Z vendors forum. There's a decent coilover solution coming soon. Too bad fortune dropped out.
Yeah I saw that. I dont really want to use Megans though. Sucks Fortune bailed. Only real problem I'm having with the Stance is the front strut is too wide to fit the camber plates I got. Not sure what to do about that yet.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Originally Posted by iHeartTouge
Yeah I saw that. I dont really want to use Megans though. Sucks Fortune bailed. Only real problem I'm having with the Stance is the front strut is too wide to fit the camber plates I got. Not sure what to do about that yet.
PM dan over there, maybe he can make you some sleeves for the stances.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:52 PM
DURRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok The Wok

hate-------------hatehatehate--------hate--------hatehatehate
hate----------------------hate---hatehatehate---hate-----hate
hatehatehate----hatehatehate--------hate--------hate-----hate
hate-----hate---hate-----hate--------hate--------hatehatehate
hate-----hate---hate-----hate--------hate--------hate
hate-----hate---hatehatehate--------hate--------hatehatehate
Old 03-12-2010, 04:29 AM
Brofecta

ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX ShadowStyle2DX

Awesome. I remember seeing your car at Z Odyssey. Where did you get your boss hub from?
Old 03-12-2010, 05:10 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

good shit man, glad to see its getting built up.

did you ever find out why the fuel pump in the 240 was blowing fuses?

Quick Reply: 240z Restore + LSJuan build (long first post)