Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

ZOMG GENESIS COUPE...

Old 01-30-2010, 02:21 PM
Function > Form

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Default ZOMG GENESIS COUPE...

... is a total heap. Who woulda thought?

Originally Posted by Some canook on poortex
Well, since everyone's doing reviews, this is my turn:
Just rolled 13k in the Genesis a week or two ago. I could not hate my car more than I do right now. Yes it handles like it's on rails, yes people do tell me how great it looks, and yes it actually has decent power for a car that gets great gas mileage, and yes it was cheap, BUT:

The transmission couldn't be a bigger piece of crap. I can't use first unless I'm totally stopped, second is impossible to use unless I force it in and hear the worst grinding noise I've ever heard a car make. Third gear grinds on every upshift. I've had the clutch master cylinder replaced, I've had the trans oil changed (which hyundai was touting as there fix for all trans issues). I've had these problems since august when my car had less than 8000kms on it! This is totally unacceptable.

The driver's seat will start squeaking very loudly every once in a whlie. The ABS and traction control just stopped working the other day, then started working just before I could take the car in. My Keyless entry doesn't work in weather below -10c. There are some nasty noises the trans makes in 5th gear, sounds like it's whooshing. I hear a whooshing/whistling noise coming from the rear when it's cold out, and the engine makes a very high pitched squeal in cold weather as of recently.

My check engine light came on from christmas eve to boxing day, not giving me enough time to have that fixed. No idea what caused that.

The rev hang is still very noticeable even though they claim to have fixed it with an ECM update.

Basically, I would like Hyundai to just take this car back, and I will never buy another car from them. It makes me so angry every time I drive the thing and have basically no gear to use when I'm slowing down to 30km/h and need to speed up again. They should never have released such a shoddy car to the market. There is a 10 page thread on gencoupe.com about people with the same issues.

I have been trying since AUGUST to get this fixed and it still isn't. I'm leaving my car at my dealer while I go on vacation Feb.14-18, then I've lined up appointments at every other hyundai dealer in the area to look at it. If it still doesn't work I'm going to do the Canadian version of the lemon law and have them buy it back.

Hyundai's ads about quality (in light of the recent Toyota scandals) make me laugh and also anger me. They should shut their mouth about quality until they can build something better than an econo-box that will last longer than 8000 kms. It's worse than a 1980s maserati.

Could it just be the cold weather...? Maybe, but I doubt it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:23 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD
Default Re: ZOMG GENESIS COUPE...

Sounds like that ***** can't use a clutch. And the CEL is probably from his gas cap lolol
Old 01-30-2010, 02:28 PM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by Some fag from Gencoupe.com
Ok so it is -3 in Chicago today, (keep in mind I have an Auto 3.8 with this story) and I go out to my car to start it and all is well...I leave it on for about 10 min to warm up....still everything is good. Then I go and put it into reverse, and the car wont go into gear. I started to roll down my driveway but there was no acceleration at all.

I hit the brakes and tried to put the car into drive, so I could go back up the driveway. THE CAR WON'T GO INTO DRIVE. I was like AWWW WHAT!!!!!!!!! I had to practically jam it into drive, but the indicator on the dash said I was still in reverse. I was sitting with the car in drive with the brakes on and when I let off them the car would roll backwards. So im like ok I'll put the car in park. I CAN'T get the car back into park. I dont know what the hell is going on. Anyone have any ideas????? I had to use the shiftlock release just to get the car back into park. So I have called Roadside Assistance and they are going to tow it to the nearest dealership but this just sucks. So if anyone has heard or has had experience with this or has or with other cars please help me out by replying here
Again, this was dealing with cold weather but there is no shortage of these horror stories on that site.

Basically, it seems, YES! it was too good to be true. Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2010, 02:35 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

this is why you dont buy 1st generations....they will always have problems. i've already seen on Gencoupe.com and other forums that Hyundai is taking note of the trans problems and has asked for each forum to compile a list of who has problems and what problems are they having.

i hoping that Hyundai will correct these problems in the next generation(s) or i'll give up all hope for the Gen Coupe.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:37 PM
Troll & Run

Sounds like dude doesn't know how to drive an automatic. Either way, simple fixes for the next gen of it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:38 PM
Function > Form

Originally Posted by Gencoupe.com user
* the car is frigging wide. my mirrors JUST clear my garage door with inches to spare on either side. gettign in and out of the garage is a pain. For the record, my garage door is normal sized, and my m3 fit in there with no issues.
* blind spots. I can't get my mirrors to not give me a huge blind spot. the B-pillar is huge making head checks tough as well. I've had more people beep at me for almost running them off the road in this car than any other car i've owned combined for my entire driving life. i'm 6'1 so i sit a bit further back then most people probably do.
* arm rest. it's hard. it needs a 'pillow' top of some sort.
* ipod... it's wacky sometimes. I usually have to plug/unplug it 3 or 4 times to get it to work. sometimes it wont read, sometimes it will be like its on ATT (mute), sometimes it skips. Further, I hate that even though my ipod is set to random, i still have to hit random on the receiver. And THEN, every time i restart the car/radio, it doesn't keep that rdm setting either
* HID's. They aren't angled up enough or something. I find myself out-driving my lights on non-street lit roads at around 50mph on the low beam.... and the highs aren't much better... 65-70 on dark highways and i'm not comfortable as i'm out driving my light. They need more further distance. They also have some dark spots on the side. I imagine this will only get worse when/if i lower the car.
* wiper switch is all backwards. down? i've never owned a car that went down for the features, but rather the 1-time mist. Not a big deal, just a pet peeve i guess and backwards from everything i know.
* media center is too bright. I want to leave it on (can be turned off) and i like my dash lights full on. wish they were on a separate dimmer control of some sort.
* the reo50a's suck. they have no slip angle at all. it's either grip or not. there's no 'warning', and it comes on WAY too soon... even in the fronts. bad choice for a stock tire IMO.
* i hate the let-off clean burn rpm hold. it's nearly impossible to give a smooth ride to passengers. And before you say i can't drive, it's not me. I've been driving manual transmission cars for over 15 years. The only way to get a nonjerky shift is to ride the clutch, and that, well, sucks.
* I hate that i have to have the acc power on to roll up the power windows. I also wish i could do this from outside the car with the key fob
* I hate that there's no power after 5k. might as well redline there. more power in the next gear.
* I hate backing up. Can't see a damn thing out the back. I try to pull through in every parking lot i go to now. The sensors are worthless too. I have a wall of rock at the edge of my driveway that stand about 6-8 inches high. It's enough to rip my whole bumper off, but the sensors never go off. a back up camera should be standard instead. i'll likely be adding one on a plate frame.
* infinity system needs a separate sub control. I would like to be able to adjust the bass to the sub without altering the bass to my door speakers, etc. the sub can take more than the door speakers, but its all or nothing. bass +8, vol 20, the sub is fine, the doors are farting
* gas cap. the damn lid cord isn't long enough to open the fuel door all the way when it's attached. mine now sits in the the fuel door area wrapped around the spot. piss poor design.
Apparently, this car was designed to look good in a showroom and on paper but the engineering... if you can call it that, is piss poor.

There's plenty more where this came from, too. Not isolated incidents.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:46 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro The Nisbro

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
Apparently, this car was designed to look good in a showroom and on paper but the engineering... if you can call it that, is piss poor.

There's plenty more where this came from, too. Not isolated incidents.
you're going to find nit-picky shit all day long when it comes to the Gen Coupe. its a 1st Generation attempt at a 'sports car' from Hyundai. They have the right idea, they just need to tweek everything slightly

Originally Posted by 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY
* i hate the let-off clean burn rpm hold. it's nearly impossible to give a smooth ride to passengers. And before you say i can't drive, it's not me. I've been driving manual transmission cars for over 15 years. The only way to get a nonjerky shift is to ride the clutch, and that, well, sucks.
this has been the biggest issue ive read of. fucking emission's shit keeps the car revved up when you push the clutch in to 'burn off excess fuel' or some shit. ive heard it seriously messes up the driving functionality of the car. of course you can flash the ecu to get rid of this problem.

but like i said, it's Hyundai's 1st attempt at a sporty vehicle that will accommodate the tuner crowd. hopefully Hyundai will pay attention to their customer's reviews and eventually correct all the current problems.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:48 PM
Troll & Run

Roll the windows up with the keyfob? Honestly 3/4 this shit sounds like being a nit picking prick. Actual parts on the car that can't be swapped out for better parts you shouldn't bich about. And what happened to test driving? That last ***** seemed to have bought the most expensive one just trying to impress people with it.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:51 PM
EMF S2K

jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy jeremy

I test drove one and loved it but you can bet your ass it'll be 2011 or 2012 that I buy.
Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM
SAY IT WITCHA CHEST!

Originally Posted by ShawnD
Roll the windows up with the keyfob? Honestly 3/4 this shit sounds like being a nit picking prick. Actual parts on the car that can't be swapped out for better parts you shouldn't bich about. And what happened to test driving? That last ***** seemed to have bought the most expensive one just trying to impress people with it.
it is all nit-picky shit. its a fucking Hyundai...dont expect great things.

from the factory they suck. but plenty of people have began to make parts for them, which have all made great improvements in overall performance.

Lovefab, AMS and Buschur Racing all have kits available for the 2.0T's that eliminate all the factory boost bullshit.

in time i feel that the Gen Coupe will be a respected performance vehicle, but not until all the bugs are worked out.

Quick Reply: ZOMG GENESIS COUPE...