VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Automotive Discussion (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/)
-   -   YOUR SUGGESTIONS PleAsEEEE (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/automotive-discussion-8/your-suggestions-pleaseeee-129807/)

dirtnyurface 03-01-2006 04:31 PM

YOUR SUGGESTIONS PleAsEEEE

:D so this is my whole life story
born 11/20/89
blah blah
some shit happened
now im 16, need a car and was lookin in newspaper.
i found a 97 dx [says great condition] and has some gun metal grey konigs 17" to match the grey paint. what you guys think is a fair price..... it has euro tail lights but w.e those are trashed if i get car,
he has it priced at 4500 n i talked him down to 3000 with rims or 2500 if i bring my tires n shit... GIVE ME feedback about what to do. and how much lets say, potential this car can have...
THANKS
sorry its not an english paper :p

turbo9mm 03-01-2006 04:42 PM

Re: YOUR SUGGESTIONS PleAsEEEE

I would say for 16 yeah its a great car and has potential just depends on how much money you have to put towards it. I mean the most important thing I would do is buy the car find taillights switch them out, If you have your own rims and tires go with that save you an easy 500. Just shop smart for your first car and not try and go all out. The main thing is just to have fun with it.

dirtnyurface 03-01-2006 04:42 PM

it has high milage, but new tranny, clutch, water pump um lots more. cant think of ne right now. but engine has 180,xxx :(

dirtnyurface 03-01-2006 04:43 PM

also if i could find some nice steelies. heh nice steelies. what i mean is steelies with some tread on tires would be helpfull.......thanks turbo

EvolutionBoostin 03-07-2006 07:57 PM

180k isn't necessarily bad for a honda motor, just check for abnormal engine noises (knocks, grinds, taps) and excessive oil leakage/buildup. My 96 civic has almost 200k on it and i only just now have had to do any maintanence on it. I think it would have gone much much farther, but it's been through several turbo kits, nitrous, and lots of general beating. Just look for obvious problems, and if it looks and sounds clean then you can probably trust it.

Being your first car, it's likely that it's not going to last decades regardless of how many miles it has on it. If you're interested in building it for the performance aspect of things, the first thing you'll probably want to do is a motor swap anyways...

MerF 03-07-2006 09:00 PM

Find an older buddy that has been around some Honda motors and have him take a drive with you. Once you've owned a Honda, you've owned them all, and will be able to detect the telltale shit that can rape or save your purchase.

Good luck with it.

word itz chris 03-08-2006 07:10 AM

I have seen the car before. he goes to TCC. Not bad looking, the only thing i am worried about it the mileage.

_crs 03-08-2006 07:32 AM

My CRXs and CIVICs have had over 250k miles on them no problems. As long as the maint. is done on time and correctly you should have no problems. Like Merf said take someone who's ever owned one they'll tell you whats wrong/good with the car. If money is tight get some steelies and keep the taillights for now. Its def. a good choice and a fair price. If something goes wrong with it after the sale well your on your own..so do so research.

EvolutionBoostin 03-08-2006 07:47 AM

Yes follow Merf's advice if you don't know what to look out for.

Lestar 03-08-2006 08:01 AM

I think it's gonna be fine as long as you don't try to race it. Use it as a daily driver...for now. Then when your motor finally shits out, you should put a b series in it :D .