Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Your Opinion on the Future of US Automakers

Old 11-30-2005, 09:52 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Your Opinion on the Future of US Automakers

Well as we all have heard somewhere, GM isnt do so well anymore. With all of the plant closures and loss in sales the US automakers profit is dwindling. Im just curious about other peoples opinion why.

Seems to me Dodge is stepping things up and heading in a better direction than they have been in for a long time. The SRT collection has been a major help with their sale. Id also like to say, their styling is much better than a lot of other cars being designed.

GM surprised me when I heard about all of the closures, because with as many lines as they own, you would think they'd be making out well. Seems that Cadillac is fairing out with the new models they offer along with the styling, same goes for Saturn and Saab. Both have been changed a enough to appeal more towards the younger crowd and keep enough versitility to appeal to a family. Then you have Hummer, Im sure everyone at least sees 10 Hummers in a week rolling around the 757. Granted this area is a more wealthy area, it still seems the sales of the H2 and now H3 have proven to be a sucess.

Ford seems to be keeping it simple and modest as always, make a powerful truck, decent cars and do something out of the ordinary. For example, Mustang change I think was a big decision to go with, but with companies such as Saleen and Rousch helping people see the ability of how they can be made to look good and go fast. The navigator seems to be keeping a good record but with the cost of production rising, they are becoming out of reach for the average joe.

Chrysler I would say still falls somewhat along with Dodge, but Chrysler is losing the battle poorly I think. Their styling hasnt improved in my eyes and their appeals to others is weak. The PT Cruiser was a bold move which at first worked, but on every review you see now with the convertable... is basically telling you to look somewhere else.

Id just like to get other opinions on where you think Automakers need to head and what needs to be changed. Maybe get away from retro and stick with sharp appealing cars, or maybe just quit making such exotic futuristic cars that will never even come close to production and just improve on what they have released already.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:54 AM
Eat me.

Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta Slimsta Jimsta
Default Re: Your Opinion on the Future of US Automakers

Stop worrying about US automakers, and get your shit running after 3 years.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:01 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

A lot of it has to due with the unions. If the workers don't get paid what THEY want, they'll go on strike. Of course the auto companies give in, and pay them ultimately what they can't afford leading to problems that they're experiencing now.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:04 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Fuck 'em.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:06 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

Originally Posted by XCELR8
A lot of it has to due with the unions. If the workers don't get paid what THEY want, they'll go on strike. Of course the auto companies give in, and pay them ultimately what they can't afford leading to problems that they're experiencing now.
Yeah good point, I didnt consider the Union affect! Do you think maybe how weak the U.S. dollar is compared to other types of currency could also be the problem?
Old 11-30-2005, 10:13 AM
#XV

El Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to beholdEl Negro is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
Yeah good point, I didnt consider the Union affect! Do you think maybe how weak the U.S. dollar is compared to other types of currency could also be the problem?
I don't think the US auto industry will thrive without outsourcing their manufacturing operations.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:25 AM
i like prom.

urvtecs2slo has disabled reputation

the only american vehicle i would ever buy is a truck to tow my japanese vehicle.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:33 AM
you suck, i know it

(F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-) (F-)

i would rather buy the titan
Old 11-30-2005, 10:48 AM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

The US dollar is weak? I thought American currency was one of the strongest going. The only currency I can think of that is stonger is the European Euro which is about 1.5 times that of a US dollar.
Old 11-30-2005, 10:54 AM
brake/steer/throttle

ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek ToyotaTechGeek

Yeah good point, I didnt consider the Union affect!
i discussed this almost ad nauseum with tim. there was a time and place for unions. now, they are a bunch of fat, lazy, money-hungry sheisters looking out for number one...themselves.