Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WTF carfax?!

Old 08-08-2009, 09:45 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts
Default WTF carfax?!

I wanted to see if has happened to anyone else.

I had a carfax ran for my car before and after i bought my car.

before, it was clean. (checked august 2007)

i just received a carfax (courtesy of Joepiper151) of my car and apparently (plan on selling it soon), it recently reported an accident during the 2nd owner's ownership in october 2004 with a note saying--reported to carfax 06/19/09

what the hell?

how does that work?
Old 08-08-2009, 10:35 AM
Member is Registered

efhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond reputeefhatchlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF carfax?!

Its NOT common but it has happened....

I worked at a used car dealership in 2004/2005/2006...It happened with 2 of the cars we bought from auction...

the first incident was the worst and was in 2005....it was a 1999 Jeep, very very clean around 60k miles on it.....ran carfax for a customer, came back clean...customer bought the car....came back 6 months later...with a carfax on it....it said plain and simple...LEMON....Customer was furious, we were furious...they ended up filing a civil suit against the dealership...and when i left in 06 they were still in litigation....

The 2nd was while this was all going on....it was a 96 Honda Accord, perfect carfax...than an accident showed up on it just 2 months later (accident happened in 2002)....the owner decided against selling it and kept it for business errands.

So yea it happens, why, I dont know...But would love to know why it would happen.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:38 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

My guess (just a guess). Some bodyshop recently decided it needs money, so it signed up to give Carfax the info they want in exchange for the money they pay. My guess is they're going back and putting in all of the records they previously kept to themselves.
Old 08-08-2009, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

ODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these partsODU_Lude is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by marlinspike
My guess (just a guess). Some bodyshop recently decided it needs money, so it signed up to give Carfax the info they want in exchange for the money they pay. My guess is they're going back and putting in all of the records they previously kept to themselves.
i was just thinking the same possibility... or a friend asked the shop to with hold the info till the car sold?

i mean, i not complaining toooo much, cause whatever it was, the car looks great. i took it to a couple professional mechanics and they didnt notice anything wrong with the car.... just hurts my ability to resell if the day comes...

sigh
Old 08-08-2009, 10:46 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Eh. Carfax lost my car a few years back, maybe you'll have the same luck by the time you sell your car lol.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:20 PM
Registered Member

Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86 Silverbullet86

Carfax isn't as reliable as most people think. Its common for not having all the information.
Old 08-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Registered Member

junction has disabled reputation

Carfax isn't ALWAYS accurate. Just saying.
Old 08-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Registered Member

well. information can be accurate, just not very timely?

it showed up 5 years later..
Old 08-08-2009, 07:12 PM
Registered Member

junction has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ODU_Lude
well. information can be accurate, just not very timely?

it showed up 5 years later..
which means information isn't accurate
Old 08-10-2009, 07:33 AM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts

read the carfax guarentee, i bet there is something in there about it.

Quick Reply: WTF carfax?!