Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

wrx ecu reflashing? anyone know how?

Old 12-28-2004, 06:22 PM
Ricky Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08
Default wrx ecu reflashing? anyone know how?

anyone heard about it or know anyone who does it?
Old 12-28-2004, 07:07 PM
^avatarless

crumpler is on a distinguished road
Default Re: wrx ecu reflashing? anyone know how?

ecutek, you send it off i believe
Old 12-28-2004, 07:22 PM
Ricky Racer

screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08 screwd08

i've read good things about but then again i havent really seen anyting negative yet. have a site or a place were i can get info from. if its cheaper then buyin a utec i might do it because i changed my plans for my wrx.
Old 12-28-2004, 07:25 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

ECUTEK, Vishnu, Cobb. The Cobb you can do yourself, it works through the OBD2 diagnostic port and you get a little map switcher box that you can load and change maps with, plus do future upgrades. The other brands of reflashes you have to send the ECU off, but the general opinion seems to be that they make better power.

I'll be getting the Cobb Accessport sometime for my WRX, right after the uppipe, downpipe, and catback. Cobb claims a +54 HP gain at the wheels with the Accessport and turboback exhaust, not including uppipe. I've been doing my homework..
Old 12-28-2004, 08:13 PM
Japanese Disease

NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX NEO_WRX

it may cost more but just go with the UTEC(i'm not just saying that because i'm trying to sell).

It's a plug and play that gives you full control over fuel, boost and timing ontop of many other features and it's user tunable on the spot and you can save up to 5 maps(which helps with the weather and running different boost/octane levels). A few people i have spoke two had problems with the ECU reflash and enventually decided to go to UTEC. It may be more expensive, but you get what you pay for.
Old 12-28-2004, 09:34 PM
WRX 0-60: NOW!!

MegaH_MaN has a little shameless behaviour in the past

I use ecutek, and same with another member on the board on his STi. Neo is right about it being cheaper. I had mine done at Rallispec. I overnighted my Ecu so they could flash it for my mods for drivabilty. Then i eventually made the trip up to get it tuned.
As for which is better UTEC or Ecutek, theres not really a clear answer. Utec can hold several maps, launch control, knock detection etc. And its basically for the guys who like to tune it on their own.
Ecutek is kinda like set it and forget it. It is almost half the price, has active ignition timing, and Easystreet uses it!
they have different advantages but they both make about the same power.
...Or you could be talking about the reflashes the dealer does. Some people have complained with the 05 and i think maybe the 04 models having some engine issues. And they have had their ecu reflashed by the dealer for a more conservative map.

Last edited by MegaH_MaN; 12-28-2004 at 09:37 PM.
Old 12-29-2004, 04:56 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

my thoughts:

ECUtek-was the last thing i ran on my wagon before i sold it. did great for driveability, was a little rich for my tastes (bumper was always black) but i ran it for three months with NO driveability issues (hiccups, stumble, overbooost, etc) very good, esp. for 400 bucks. if you change mods....its about 25 bucks to redo it once you buy the initial flash

ACCESSECU-from COBB also, it basically works like a UTEC. you can have a few maps and be able to switch on the fly with them. it uses an interface though, instead of a laptop like the UTEC does. best part is....it costs about 400 less then the UTEC

UTEC-good system....however, it has its disadvantages. main one is the issues it has controlling the 04 and up ECU's. they are dual processor....and they will compensate for the mods the UTEC is doing....basically negating the effect. TXS has a new version for those cars...and from what i hear, it works well. the problem i had with the UTEC was having to reset my maps and constantly tune to compensate for changes in atmosphere. the closed loop fueling they added now took care of that.

POSSUMLINK- antilag-need i say more

all are good...but it depends on your mods you are planning as to what you go with. if you are going to stay in a basic "stage" setup (ie....TBE, uppipe with stock turbo-stage II, etc etc..) a reflash will work just fine.

if you want to have more tuning control....and i only reccomend that if you know what you are doing...then get the UTEC.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:36 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

For roughly the same price as the UTEC, I'd go with the PossumLink. I inherently don't trust piggyback computers like the UTEC, they have their drawbacks and limitations. Fooling the ECU and intercepting signal inputs is a bad idea, which is why the stock ECU tends to try to correct for it.
If I'm going to spend $1000+, it's going to be on a standalone like the Link setup. For general tuning though, the Cobb seems like the best value, they will make you maps based on your upgrades, and you only pay once for it. It's still $600, the same price as the ECUTEK, but I like the flexibility of doing my own map changes. In addition, supposedly there is tuner software being released (this is has been a rumor for 2 years) so you can tune the Cobb system yourself, for a few hundred dollars more. I'll believe that when I see it.
Old 12-29-2004, 09:54 AM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

the tuner software is released (so i have been told) i called and talked to Josh about a problem i had with cold start idle surge when i first got the reflash, and talked to him about getting the software and doing tunes (i was getting ready to do a AWD dyno shop then) and he said it was three weeks from release.

of course.....the STi UTEC was supposed to be released for five months....

now that the UTEC is more (i think it retails for 1250) i dont reccomend it as much. of course, if someone cant figure out how to tune with a UTEC....i dont tell them about POSSUMLINK.

most WRX owners i have done installs for have no fucking clue what i am doing....and wind up messing with the settings and fucking shit up worse. those are the people that get a reflash.
Old 12-29-2004, 12:08 PM
Racetracks

Damn this OBD2 stuff, I'm retrofitting a Honda ECU.. Just kidding.
I wish there was an AWD dyno somewhere around here.. Then I'd consider getting a Possumlink or the Cobb software and tuning it myself. I'd rather play with electronics than anything else, it's what I know the best.
You're very right about WRX owners though, just like all other makes and models. You shouldn't give people infinite control without having at least a basic working knowledge of how everything interacts. Expensive things happen from cheap mistakes.
I do wish I could do some of the hardware stuff myself though, it makes me feel inadequate to have to buy a really expensive premade solution for tuning. That's just the way with ODB2 stuff though, unless you can throw a lot of manpower and time at it. Maybe I'll just keep learning the OBD2 protocol and make that engine monitoring system I've been threatening to build in my nonexistant spare time.