Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

would you build a kit car?

Old 07-30-2006, 09:35 AM
I have a 20 valve...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx crxnfx
Default would you build a kit car?

When I was trying to buy my first car, I was thinking...I am so fucking broke. There is no way that I could possibly get anything fast/sporty/sexy/fucking awesome until my dad told me about kit cars. i looked them up in JC whitney and found a few intriguing, but the idea just merely laid dorment for a few years.

They were all the rage about 20 or 30 years ago, take pieces from a donor car and then putting into a fiberglass shell of say, a shelby cobra or ferrari or something.

We have all done some work to our cars, possibly some of us more than others. I've successfully built 3 honda motors from complete tear down, installed them, and watched the carnage that ensued. Its fun. I think we can all agree.

But would you start completely from scratch, from the tubular frame, laying the wiring harness, get that factory feeling actually "making" a car?

I've actually been thinking about it alot. There seems to be some coverage on the web, but not a whole lot. The best site that I have found so far was www.factoryfive.com , a smaller company owned by 2 brothers.

So, would you build a kit car?
Old 07-30-2006, 10:08 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask
Default Re: would you build a kit car?

I've seen it done with Fieros, to build a complete from ground up car. Personally, thats too much work for me. I don't think I would ever undertake such a long project.

"KIT" cars are generally that though, kits. They're pretty much all there and while they're involved, its not necessarily building a car from the ground up. I would love to build a cobra replica or some other factory 5 stuff. It just all depends how much love you want to put into one car.
Old 07-30-2006, 10:29 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

if i had the space and the "itll get done when it gets done" attitude then yes. and to be able to do everything myself to make sure it was all done how i wanted it to would be awesome.
Old 07-30-2006, 12:56 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos

i do want to but I don't think I know enough to take on a project like that. or the funds. But me and my dad are talking about restoring some old somehting or other
Old 07-30-2006, 04:50 PM
Registered member

catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh catfSSh

im all for building a car from the ground up, my cousin does this with jeep cj's.

he builds everything including the frame and does the work in his garage and actually makes a big profit with it.

but... i wouldnt try to turn a car into something it isnt like a fiero into a ferrari.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:07 PM
-8th Day Clothing-

Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck Broke Neck

I believe its Larry (victums) neighbor ... but the Shelby Cobra he built is drop dead fucking beautiful.

302 with a blower, said hes putting down like 550, and weighing like 2400lbs.

I think me and my dad are going to build something when he gets back, he has 3 old MG's he wants to restore though.
Old 07-30-2006, 07:49 PM
LaShawn

djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom djgrom

Yes, hands down. I love building, anything.
Old 07-31-2006, 04:33 AM
EEK
卐 Walnuts

EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK EEK

Originally Posted by Broke Neck
I believe its Larry (victums) neighbor ... but the Shelby Cobra he built is drop dead fucking beautiful.

302 with a blower, said hes putting down like 550, and weighing like 2400lbs.

I think me and my dad are going to build something when he gets back, he has 3 old MG's he wants to restore though.
only car i would do is the shelby
Old 07-31-2006, 04:48 AM
UNCEUNCEUNCEUNCEUNCE

boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband boyband

Kit car:

Old 07-31-2006, 12:46 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Originally Posted by catfSSh
but... i wouldnt try to turn a car into something it isnt like a fiero into a ferrari.

For some people its just cheaper. IMO unless the kit car is really close, then they look like garbage, and the ones that look really close or 'too close' get shut down by the original manufacturers themselves.

Quick Reply: would you build a kit car?