Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

WHy was the HEMI banned from NASCAR in the 50's

Old 09-20-2006, 09:01 PM
Luxury = Love

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty
Question WHy was the HEMI banned from NASCAR in the 50's

I would like to write a paper on the HEMI but Im having trouble gathering all of my data.
I used allpar.com and found its origins and The Petty fmaily and all that.

But I cant seem to find a clear expliantion as to Why it was banned.

DOes anyone know?

If you have an answer can you PLEASE do me a favor and attach a link so I can site the source. PLEASE!!!!
Old 09-20-2006, 09:27 PM
Needs a fast car now

NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET NX2KDET
Default Re: WHy was the HEMI banned from NASCAR in the 50's

I found this maybe its somewhat useful

"Had NASCAR’s head of operations, Bill France, not banned the hemi from racing in 1965, the elephant engine would have run roughshod over the other players. NASCAR banned the hemi on the grounds that it wasn’t a mass production car available to the public."
Old 09-20-2006, 09:47 PM
B17a1

oduhockey9 has disabled reputation

Yeah, thats the same reasoning behind the Superbirds. They made 2500 a year so Richard Petty could drive it on raceday. The theory of Nascar then was to be concidered a "stock car" then there had to be a minimum production number of the vehicle(as set by nascar), and the motor they planned to use had to have a form of it offered to the public. That is my understanding of it.
Old 09-20-2006, 10:01 PM
Luxury = Love

Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty Royalty

that sound salot liek what i heard too. I just need it in print some where
Old 09-20-2006, 11:23 PM
Registered Member

joshuaa3 has disabled reputation

"During that highly competitive era, NASCAR strictly enforced what was known as the homologation rule, mandating that manufacturers produce at least 500 cars for sale to the public of any vehicle designed for racing. In 1969, just over 500 Dodge Daytonas were delivered to local dealerships for consumers seeking NASCAR-style speed and power. 1969 was the only year that the Daytona was sold to the public, and in the early '70's, NASCAR outlawed winged cars from racing altogether because of their unrelenting dominance on the track."

http://insiderracingnews.com/RG/010406.html

and

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html

" Although the motor was basically legislated out of NASCAR in the 1970s, and emissions laws, high production costs, and the insurance industry stopped production of the street version in 1971, the motor still dominates the top drag racing classes more than twenty-five years later. "

Old 09-21-2006, 04:12 AM
omfgbbq

OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt OwManThatHurt

Originally Posted by joshuaa3
"...NASCAR outlawed winged cars from racing altogether because of their unrelenting dominance on the track."
yet the "new" nascar will have huge spoilers on them. hypocritical eh.
Old 09-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Registered Member

DC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to allDC97Cobra is a name known to all

Originally Posted by OwManThatHurt
eh...just a change in times. I think it's about time that Nascar start catching up with technology and move away from carburated motors. They should go farther back in their roots and be forced to use the cars that are sold on the showroom floor. Allow them to upgrade the engines and add safety features of course but if the car only comes with a 3.4L V6 with an auto then thats the powerplant that they have to work with.

I understand that you are doing history on the Chrysler Hemi but look into Ford's Boss 429 history as well. It was built due to the Hemi dominating the circuit but was still not capable creating the hp needed to keep up.
Old 09-21-2006, 09:07 AM
Luxury = Love

Originally Posted by DC97Cobra
I understand that you are doing history on the Chrysler Hemi but look into Ford's Boss 429 history as well. It was built due to the Hemi dominating the circuit but was still not capable creating the hp needed to keep up.
SO in other words, Ford tried their hardest and still came up short.... typical. LOL

I make sure to refrence that in my paper.
Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos

It'll probably be pretty hard to collect find real info on what your looking for. I don't think a lot of them could write.
Old 09-23-2006, 05:53 PM
Registered Member

bonestock94 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by OwManThatHurt
Will they really? Interesting..

Quick Reply: WHy was the HEMI banned from NASCAR in the 50's