Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Who knows how to get a vehicle titled under your name?

Old 11-22-2007, 07:19 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Evil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these parts
Default Who knows how to get a vehicle titled under your name?

Alright here's the deal, I bought a car from a friend (Seller A), who bought it from someone on craigslist (Seller B), that bought it from a friend of a friend of his (Seller C).

I looked at the title that was in the glove box, and noticed that there was 3 or 4 persons names on the title that the vehicle had been signed over to and from. The last person on the titles name was Seller C. I talked to Seller B which told me that Seller C was a friend of a friend, and that he would contact her to see if she could title it under her name and then sign the title to me. Seller B tried contacting her, but she hasn't answered her voice mails or called him back. So now I am stuck with this car, and I don't know what to do.

Is there a loop hole that I can go through to get this vehicle titled under my name?

BTW - DMV told me I had to get the title under Seller C's name then sign the title to Seller B's name, then sign the title to me, but I want to cut out the middle man and have the title signed directly to me from Seller C.

Ugh...

Happy Thanksgiving.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:36 AM
Registered Member

Jon-Eric is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Who knows how to get a vehicle titled under your name?

sounds like a clusterfuck...
Old 11-22-2007, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

Evil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these partsEvil_Twin is infamous around these parts

oh it is... I am thinking I should try to find another car (the same make/model/etc) and just use this one as a parts car. I really don't want to though, but that looks like my only option.

There has to be a way to get the title under my name. I wonder if I show 2 bill of sales, the one from Seller C to Seller B, then the Bill of sale from Seller B to me, if it would work. I just remember the guy at DMV telling me I need to have it re-registered in MD under Seller C's name as my 1st step. Ugh, I hate DMV.
Old 11-22-2007, 07:49 AM
Registered Member

I dont understand why there is so many people under one title. I can understand lein holders but previous owners makes no sense,
Old 11-22-2007, 07:57 AM
+RepCarebearCrew

I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers! I<3Strippers!

apply for a lost title from dmv if you cant get whatever seller to sign it over
Old 11-22-2007, 08:02 AM
Registered Member

Jon-Eric - the reason there are so many people signed under the title is because the owner would sell it, and the buyer wouldn't turn the title into DMV, but instead they would keep it and just keep signing it.

240sxftw - wouldn't I have to show proof of ownership?
Old 11-22-2007, 08:44 AM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Thats called jumping the title. Unfortunately that piece of paper you now have is worth less than the tree is printed on. You can either A.) Get in touch with the person who's name is on the title, and have them get a replacement for you or B.) Apply for an abandoned vehicle title.
Old 11-22-2007, 08:49 AM
Registered Member

I will give it a bit longer for the Seller B to contact me, but then I guess I will go for the abandon vehicle title. Do you know where I can get or apply for this?
Old 11-22-2007, 10:39 AM
Registered Member

I found the abandon title vehicle, and I think I am going to do that.

Thanks everyone for your input.
Old 11-22-2007, 10:42 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
Jon-Eric - the reason there are so many people signed under the title is because the owner would sell it, and the buyer wouldn't turn the title into DMV, but instead they would keep it and just keep signing it.

240sxftw - wouldn't I have to show proof of ownership?
Oh yeah, forgot about that.

Quick Reply: Who knows how to get a vehicle titled under your name?