Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Where to get Wheels Polished/Refinished

Old 12-03-2010, 07:48 AM
Cock chugginton

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost
Default Where to get Wheels Polished/Refinished

So i picked up a 92 Z28 about a month ago now and it came with a set of rather rare rims. Ronal R15s to be exact which came on the 91-92 Pontiac Firehawk. I plan on swapping these wheels onto the IROC since i wont have to run adaptors with these wheels and there 17s which gives me a thicker sidewall. My question is where do i get wheels polished/refinished? I want to get the lips polished and paint the centers gunmetal.
Pic of said wheel

Going to replace these wheels. They will go on my 92 Z28. But the color and look is kinda what I'm going for.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:10 AM
doesn't like 1911s

~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh ~Josh
Default Re: Where to get Wheels Polished/Refinished

I don't know.... But I like the wheels.
Old 12-03-2010, 08:17 AM
Cock chugginton

Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost Iroc-Boost

Originally Posted by ~Josh
I don't know.... But I like the wheels.
Thanks LOL. I think they will look real good on the car when I'm done. Plus i was a little worried with running adaptors on the other wheels when i'm shooting to push 800hp out of this car...
Old 12-03-2010, 08:41 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Somebody else who runs Ronals!!! I have R9s

Sadly, I don't know anywhere local, but I know there are regular posters on here who do who will give you your answer.

I'll just say this - powder coat the spokes, not paint. Paint won't stand up to polishing the rim of the wheel, which you'll have to do.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:40 AM
Cock chugginton

Originally Posted by marlinspike
Somebody else who runs Ronals!!! I have R9s

Sadly, I don't know anywhere local, but I know there are regular posters on here who do who will give you your answer.

I'll just say this - powder coat the spokes, not paint. Paint won't stand up to polishing the rim of the wheel, which you'll have to do.
Powder coating is fine. Appreciate the advice. Ronal has like 3 maybe 4 good looking wheels... Didnt they make the teddy bear wheels at one point? Wierd.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:51 AM
ATGATT

marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike marlinspike

Originally Posted by Iroc-Boost
Powder coating is fine. Appreciate the advice. Ronal has like 3 maybe 4 good looking wheels... Didnt they make the teddy bear wheels at one point? Wierd.
How dare you insinuate anything negative about the teddy bear wheel!!!! Ronal actually made quite a few nice wheels, but they were OEM wheels for German car manufacturers, so nobody knew they were made by Ronal.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:11 AM
dru
GUIBO!?

dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru dru

wow these are nice

better than Ronal LSs

specs?
Old 12-03-2010, 10:14 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

do it yourself man! but if i were you, i wouldn't polish it, the way the metal is cut from ronal just won't polish nicely! but if thats what you really have you're heart set on, check out rotiform. they can refinish any wheel perfectly!
Old 12-03-2010, 10:18 AM
Cock chugginton

Originally Posted by Uzi Crooklyn
do it yourself man! but if i were you, i wouldn't polish it, the way the metal is cut from ronal just won't polish nicely! but if thats what you really have you're heart set on, check out rotiform. they can refinish any wheel perfectly!
I was going to do it myself but I knwo how rare these wheels are getting now and they keep going up in price so I'm pretty happy i got them on a $3500 car. I trust your word UZI as you seem to know your shit so can you explain a little more on why the metal wont polish nicely? Yea I kinda wanted a polished lip. I could just clean it up and leave it the machined silver and clear it to though.

EDIT: I will take other ideas actually. Just want something diffrent EVERY thirdgen camaro/firebird that has the wheels pretty much leaves them as they were from the factory. Last set of R15's that rolled from Ronal was a limited run they did in 2001. Before that they stopped production in 94 or 95.

Here is an idea what they look like on a blue thirdgen.

Last edited by Iroc-Boost; 12-03-2010 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-03-2010, 10:25 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

i'm not 100% sure because i havn't seen them in person. but if you look at how the metal is cut in the picture, you can see "lines" almost in the metal. like fine fine lines that run around the lip, if that makes sense. the problem with polishing metal with those lines in it is you have to sand all the way down until it is completely smooth, basically you would need to take it down to a super low grit sand paper, and sand until you cannot feel your arm lol. then take it up to the next grit. even then you'll still be able to see traces of "lines" in the polish when finished. i had a buddy of mine try and get me to help him do the same thing with his Brocks he used to have. it just never came out nicely, and it was dull. but this is all in just my expeirance with it. try and call rotiform and ask them what they think. that'll be your best bet if you want them to come out perfect.

Quick Reply: Where to get Wheels Polished/Refinished