Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Whats gonna happen?

Old 07-01-2009, 06:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151
Default Whats gonna happen?

Whats up guys. So i've always had a dream of owning a turbod s2000, and last week I thought it was about to come true. I sold my CBR600rr and my lsvtec del sol, and I found a beautiful s2000 turbo in West Palm Beach. So I flew down there last Tuesday to check it out. It was a 2000 silver 50,000 miles on the car 6,000 on the sleeved and ported motor and put down 501whp at 15psi. To say the least it was bad ass!

So I bought the car on Friday and started driving it back to va. I was just going to drive in 6 hr increments and stop in between because i was with my girlfriend too and she wanted to have a chill drive. So we get 5 hrs into the trip and the most unexpected/worst situation happened to us. All of my gauges read fine so I thought everything was fine. All of a sudden a fireball kicked out of the vents cut on the hood! So i pulled the car over as fast as possible and got the hell out and as far away as i could, because at this time there was a constant flame shooting out of my hood. The fire department said that the fuse box melted causing the fire.

Do you guys think insurance is going to try dick me or will they settle fairly?

my mind wont settle with the thought that i might of just lost 13 grand, has anyone had any experience with insurance and car fires?

Last edited by Joepiper151; 07-01-2009 at 07:17 AM.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Registered Member

SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie SpeedJunkie
Default Re: Whats gonna happen?

If you had full coverage you should be fine. You may not get what you paid, but you won't be screwed completely.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:01 AM
Blang Blang

sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com sumospeed.com

ooo thats rough. i think it would depend on if they view the mods that are done to the car as being the culprit of the fire.....
Old 07-01-2009, 07:04 AM
Registered Member

Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151 Joepiper151

Originally Posted by SpeedJunkie
If you had full coverage you should be fine. You may not get what you paid, but you won't be screwed completely.
Yea i did have full coverage, hopefully they'll give me enough to afford another S2k
Old 07-01-2009, 07:05 AM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by sumospeed.com
ooo thats rough. i think it would depend on if they view the mods that are done to the car as being the culprit of the fire.....
That's false.

Assuming you had full coverage (comprehensive and collision) on your other cars you have 30 days to inform them of your new car purchase, so you'd be covered. If you had liability only on your old car you're fucked.

As for the value of the car... you should be able to show them what you paid for the car and list out all modifications. Since you just purchased it and can effectively show market value for the car in it's pre-accident condition they should cover you the purchase price.

Other wise you need to list out all modifications and figure out an approximate dollar value. Then take 30--40% of the value of the mods and add that to the fair market value of a stock car.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:07 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

oh wow, that fucking sucks.

your shit CAUGHT ON FIRE.

it just doesn't get any worse than that. i hope you at least get some kind of decent settlement, considering you got 5 hours of enjoyment out of it.

God that sucks. +rep because i wouldn't wish that shit on my worst enemy.

ok, maybe i would, but i don't know you and i can't imagine how i'd feel if that happened to me.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:09 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
That's false.

Assuming you had full coverage (comprehensive and collision) on your other cars you have 30 days to inform them of your new car purchase, so you'd be covered. If you had liability only on your old car you're fucked.

As for the value of the car... you should be able to show them what you paid for the car and list out all modifications. Since you just purchased it and can effectively show market value for the car in it's pre-accident condition they should cover you the purchase price.

Other wise you need to list out all modifications and figure out an approximate dollar value. Then take 30--40% of the value of the mods and add that to the fair market value of a stock car.
nice post. you work in insurance, brian?
Old 07-01-2009, 07:14 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Cobra4B
That's false.

whew thank god! Like I said The motor was worth a shit pile of money plus he had all the AP2 body conversions done. I'm just lucky to not have been burnt. My girl got all her hair sinched by the fireball that kicked out. The shitty thing was I only hit the full 15psi once about 2 hrs before the fire.
Old 07-01-2009, 07:25 AM
Registered Member

GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX GrenadeCRX

Just out of curiosity... What did the old owner say?

I've always been curious if something like this happens is there anything the buyer can do... Since it was literally on the drive home? I know "buyer's beware" but damn...
Old 07-01-2009, 07:30 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

holy shit thats crazy!!!!

Quick Reply: Whats gonna happen?