Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

whats the better compression?

Old 07-24-2008, 09:45 PM
10th planet student

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSX240 has disabled reputation
Default whats the better compression?

ok so whats the difference in buying 8:5:1 and 9:0:1 in a boosted car? im not quite sure, all i know is lower is better for boost and helps the tuner. but i also see alot of high HP cars with a slightly higher compression like 9:0:1. someone clear this up for me please .

p.s. i plan on going with boost and fully built engine. and my goals are 400whp, also i want 400 on less than 20 psi.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:54 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts
Default Re: whats the better compression?

Figure out who you want to tune the car for you and work with them in building your engine and the specs to help them tune your car for you with what you want out of it.

That way you are not taking the opinions of many different people you dont know and dont care if you blow your engine or if you get what you want. Find a reputable tuner and get their input as to what parts to use to build a motor for them to tune for you.
Old 07-24-2008, 09:58 PM
10th planet student

Originally Posted by MP5
Figure out who you want to tune the car for you and work with them in building your engine and the specs to help them tune your car for you with what you want out of it.

That way you are not taking the opinions of many different people you dont know and dont care if you blow your engine or if you get what you want. Find a reputable tuner and get their input as to what parts to use to build a motor for them to tune for you.
thank you, point taken. i had a shop in mind already. ill call them tomorrow. but i still wanted to know the difference
Old 07-24-2008, 10:00 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Static Compression is the ratio of pressure between the cylinder at bottom and the cylinder at TDC. It effects the dynamic compression (the actual PSI after detonation) which is in turn, what the motor needs to be built to 'handle'.

For example, you build a motor to withstand xxx horsepower. That in a way means the motor can handle (lets say) 1000psi of dynamic pressure. Well, when you lower the static ratio, it lowers the dynamic pressure, to say 800 psi. Well, to get back up to that 1000psi, you use boost. So in effect, the less of a compression ratio you use, the more boost the motor can tolerate. That being said, thats where boost lag comes in to play. The more you rely on boost, the more low end you're going to surrender due to lower dynamic pressures at lower RPM's.

To help you out, if you're going to build the motor, you're going to want to find a nice setup that can handle 400+ hp, and run as little boost as possible. The higher the static ratio, the more daily drivable it will be.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:24 PM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RandomTask
Static Compression is the ratio of pressure between the cylinder at bottom and the cylinder at TDC. It effects the dynamic compression (the actual PSI after detonation) which is in turn, what the motor needs to be built to 'handle'.

For example, you build a motor to withstand xxx horsepower. That in a way means the motor can handle (lets say) 1000psi of dynamic pressure. Well, when you lower the static ratio, it lowers the dynamic pressure, to say 800 psi. Well, to get back up to that 1000psi, you use boost. So in effect, the less of a compression ratio you use, the more boost the motor can tolerate. That being said, thats where boost lag comes in to play. The more you rely on boost, the more low end you're going to surrender due to lower dynamic pressures at lower RPM's.

To help you out, if you're going to build the motor, you're going to want to find a nice setup that can handle 400+ hp, and run as little boost as possible. The higher the static ratio, the more daily drivable it will be.
I LOVE YOU .....very well put....even I learned something....
Old 07-25-2008, 03:42 AM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Yep. Thats knowledge right there. ^^

Low compression for boost. High compression n/a.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:14 AM
All-Motor Street Car

JayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond reputeJayDM has a reputation beyond repute

Conversly, lower compression results in slower spool times (given examples taken from identical turbos, low vs. higher compression). To find an equal balance of give and take is the goal.

I've built several 10:1 compression (flat-top pistons) 400+whp motors that have had no problems what so ever. I wouldn't reccommend doing so unless you have a nice stand alone, but non-the-less the combination makes for an amazing street machine. We've used turbos that normally wouldn't be applicable for street motor use, on 10:1 motors and have been able to reach full boost at surprisingly low rpms.

On a side note, static compression, dynamic compression, and cranking PSI measures are only a portion of the formula here. Thermal dynamics and volumetric efficiency should be considered in understanding why higher compression can be a better solution (depending on your goal/set-up).

J
Old 07-25-2008, 06:06 AM
10th planet student

thanks guys
Old 07-25-2008, 07:09 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by RandomTask
The more you rely on boost, the more low end you're going to surrender due to lower dynamic pressures at lower RPM's.

Originally Posted by JROW
Yep. Thats knowledge right there. ^^

Low compression for boost. High compression n/a.
I'm going to go on a limb and add a little more. You CAN make up for lag caused by compression through timing to a degree. As far as the low for boost high for NA... there are plenty of higher compression (say 10:1) boosted cars running around. If your going to try to pull that off though, you better have a really good tuner Being as how the OP is a fucktard (see his "how do I swap a LS1, SR20, 2JZ into a XXX" threads) that is about all I will go into it.