Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What are straigh-cut gears?

Old 12-29-2006, 05:30 AM
Taking the shot

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts
Default What are straigh-cut gears?

I know that it is better to have straight-cut gears in a race car and i know the sound they make but i never understood what makes straight-cut gears a better choice or in what applications they should be used. Some one drop some knowledge on me.

ps: it was this video that aroused my question http://videos.streetfire.net/video/9...a300d17b80.htm
Old 12-29-2006, 06:01 AM

Kim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud ofKim Jong Illin has much to be proud of
Default Re: What are straigh-cut gears?

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665334
Old 12-29-2006, 08:49 AM
Taking the shot

QwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these partsQwanSanchez is infamous around these parts

wow that answers alot of my questions thanks. I wonder if they make straight cut for a ford t56
Old 12-29-2006, 08:55 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Generally straight cut gears will have fewer teeth, and the tooth-root profile is usually thicker and stronger because of that. That FAQ on nasioc was a bit murky on that, but that's the reason most race transmissions and transaxles have straight cut gears. Straight cut and helical gears can be made with the same number of teeth, etc., but that generally isn't done. Aftermarket gear sets with helical teeth usually fall somewhere between the tooth pitch of straight cut and stock (fine pitch) helical gears, as a compromise between strength and noise.
Straight cut gears are much easier to design and hobb (machine) also..
Old 12-29-2006, 12:39 PM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by QwanSanchez
wow that answers alot of my questions thanks. I wonder if they make straight cut for a ford t56
I don't know, but Jerico makes one that will fit right in and replace the T56.
Old 01-12-2007, 07:11 PM
gyl
Registered Member

gyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these partsgyl is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by SMOKEYBEAR
I don't know, but Jerico makes one that will fit right in and replace the T56.

your camaro is slow...amd your mustang is slower.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:22 AM
WHITE TRASH

SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR SMOKEYBEAR

Originally Posted by gyl
your camaro is slow...amd your mustang is slower.
That hurts.
Old 01-18-2007, 12:21 AM
Registered Member

nello a. has disabled reputation

ouch!