Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

what steps do i have to go through to buy a car from a private seller?

Old 02-01-2004, 06:09 PM
VIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts
Default what steps do i have to go through to buy a car from a private seller?

i live in norfolk and the car that i want to buy is in richmond. he has the title to it. i have no clue whatsoever as of what i need to do. so if any of you have any experiences with this could you please help me. i would greatly appreciate it
Old 02-01-2004, 06:12 PM

scorched is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: what steps do i have to go through to buy a car from a private seller?

Originally Posted by LSPinoy
i live in norfolk and the car that i want to buy is in richmond. he has the title to it. i have no clue whatsoever as of what i need to do. so if any of you have any experiences with this could you please help me. i would greatly appreciate it
1.) Withdrawl money.
2.) Travel to Richmond with someone to drive the vehicle you are in or the vehicle you are buying home.
3.) Write out a bill of sale, make sure the vin on the title matches with the vin on the car.
4.) Sign the bill of sale
5.) Pay the man his money
6.) Drive car home.
7.) Title car at DMV
Old 02-01-2004, 06:28 PM
VIP

LSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these partsLSPinoy is infamous around these parts
Default Re: what steps do i have to go through to buy a car from a private seller?

how do i obtain a bill of sale? go to dmv? sorry i never done this before...and thanks for the help
Old 02-01-2004, 06:33 PM
Good Ship Bear

sil80er is an unknown quantity at this point

go get the car.
make sure he signed the title.
GET INSURANCE BEFORE DMV. (just go to your insuance agent give the VIN)
go to dmv and they will transfer the title and you will have to pay a fee which is a small percentage of what you paid for the car or $45
drive the car.
Old 02-01-2004, 06:34 PM
Good Ship Bear

bill of sale from a private seller? um...no
Old 02-01-2004, 06:37 PM
VIP

lol........thanks for clarifying that. but what do i need from him as far as him selling the car to me? what proof do i need to give to the insurance company. by the way he got it from an auction at a goodwill or something like that not from a car dealership . does that matter?

thanks
Old 02-01-2004, 07:25 PM

scorched is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sil80er
You need a bill of sale for DMV records or else they won't title it for you. This is how I make all my spare money, buying and selling cars.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:37 PM
Ghost

MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF MerF

Originally Posted by sil80er
God Damn right you do...I almost just got burned to HELL becaus eI lost my bill of sale from the private seller...luckily things worked out, but I almost had No record of the purchase of my $25k car when he didn't send the title as promised. the Bill of Sale is probably THE most important piece of paper, moreso than the title..the title can be re-ordered with a Bill of Sale...but you got nothing if you don't have one.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:44 PM
Good Ship Bear

ok well i have bought three cars from a private seller in the last three years and all i did was go to dmv and tell them how much i paid.
Old 02-01-2004, 07:47 PM

TURBOX2 is an unknown quantity at this point

Bill of sale is a MUST!

Quick Reply: what steps do i have to go through to buy a car from a private seller?