Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What should keep you from getting a used car.

Old 01-13-2016, 04:54 AM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these partsThumassive is infamous around these parts
Default What should keep you from getting a used car.

So a couple months ago I decided I wanted to sell my 2009 civic si for a Subaru. Of course, like most people knew to the car world I want a Wrx or a Wrx sti however I have driven both so I actually would like to have this car. I have test driven around 4 in the last month, all at dealerships. I always check the car out thoroughly for modification, dents, oil around the motor, signs of rust etc. but so far the price just doesn't match the car to me. most recently my friend who is A Subaru owner as well as a soon to be car technician gave me some tips for things to look for specifically on these types of Subaru's. Water pumps, timing belts, rear struts, breaks and tires are a big things to look at according to to him.
I'm looking for advice on anything else I should look for specifically so I can choose the perfect car at the perfect price. I'm relatively new to the car scene but I've always been very big into them and before I go in head first I'm trying to learn everything I can before I make a big purchase on one of these cars so I won't get fucked over in the long run. All advice and tips on any cars are welcome.

Last edited by Thumassive; 01-13-2016 at 05:32 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:10 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: What should keep you from getting a used car.

You're asking a pretty generic question and haven't given much information, and what you end up with is largely going to depend on your budget.

If you're really worried everything being perfect, you're going to pay a lot for it. You're allowed to take a car to a mechanic of your choice if you're thinking buying one, and if the person refuses then walk away from the sale. Other than that, figure out what year/model you want, what options are important to you, etc., and then start researching.

And please, please learn how to spell "brakes". You're on a car forum, at least make the minimum effort....
Old 01-14-2016, 05:27 PM
Registered member

DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus DisturbedFocus

just lease something.
Old 01-14-2016, 05:53 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

Second go at the same thread? This kid doesn't take no for an answer
Old 01-15-2016, 02:22 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Originally Posted by Thumassive
So a couple months ago I decided I wanted to sell my 2009 civic si for a Subaru. Of course, like most people knew to the car world I want a Wrx or a Wrx sti however I have driven both so I actually would like to have this car. I have test driven around 4 in the last month, all at dealerships. I always check the car out thoroughly for modification, dents, oil around the motor, signs of rust etc. but so far the price just doesn't match the car to me. most recently my friend who is A Subaru owner as well as a soon to be car technician gave me some tips for things to look for specifically on these types of Subaru's. Water pumps, timing belts, rear struts, breaks and tires are a big things to look at according to to him.
I'm looking for advice on anything else I should look for specifically so I can choose the perfect car at the perfect price. I'm relatively new to the car scene but I've always been very big into them and before I go in head first I'm trying to learn everything I can before I make a big purchase on one of these cars so I won't get fucked over in the long run. All advice and tips on any cars are welcome.
Quoted for later. I wish I could neg him again.
Old 01-15-2016, 08:12 AM
Indelible Anomaly

RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon RatchetGoon

got it. ^
Old 01-18-2016, 03:52 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Another fucking Brobaru. Awesome. Bros will buy Brobarus, so no dealership will budge on price because the sailors will buy them no matter the price, because Racecar?
Old 01-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by keefboz
Another fucking Brobaru. Awesome. Bros will buy Brobarus, so no dealership will budge on price because the sailors will buy them no matter the price, because Racecar?
But why is it that no one wants to pay what something is actually worth when it's not at a dealer? My WRX isn't even for sale and people still give me unsolicited lowball offers. It's not even a looker, and is mostly stock. Sure, I'll take $3k for my '04 with 80k miles, thanks for offering to buy it. No, no trades for Kias.
Old 01-18-2016, 05:18 PM
Audi Fan

keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz keefboz

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
But why is it that no one wants to pay what something is actually worth when it's not at a dealer? My WRX isn't even for sale and people still give me unsolicited lowball offers. It's not even a looker, and is mostly stock. Sure, I'll take $3k for my '04 with 80k miles, thanks for offering to buy it. No, no trades for Kias.
Because people in general are morons mate.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:05 AM
LET THE HATE FLOW

Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass Yardjass

Must be a rally car thing. There's currently a moron in LA asking 80 grand for a final edition Evo.

Quick Reply: What should keep you from getting a used car.