Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What to look for when buying a fully built car?

Old 01-17-2007, 04:38 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt
Default What to look for when buying a fully built car?

i might be buying an integra tommorow which is supposedly fully built, sleeved and turbo'd. aside from the normal things i should look for on any used car, is there anything special i should look at when buying a built turbo vehicle? its a 93 integra with power everything and sunroof,body is in good condition, and the bottom end and head are fully built, with a t3/t4 turbo thats not even broken in yet for only 3500$. it has tuning software on it, but it hasnt been tuned yet and is running on 10-12 pounds of boost. just looking for advice (pulling the intake off and feeling the turbo for shaft play, things like that)........
Old 01-17-2007, 04:44 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz
Default Re: What to look for when buying a fully built car?

That sounds like a lot of car for $3500. What's the motor set-up? Did the owner build the car themselves or did they have a shop do it? Remember if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:48 PM
OV-104

Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis Atlantis

how long has it been running boosted untuned? through fmu im guessing. i wouldnt get anythign thats been that high on an FMU. IMO. Thats how the previous owner kiled the motor that was in my car before i got it
Old 01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
Patron

ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz ritz

There are only a few instances where I would buy a built car. I'd either have to know that the owner actually knows what the hell they're doing or if a reputable shop built it and the owner has receipts showing that.
Old 01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
MP5
Team Rad Racing

MP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these partsMP5 is infamous around these parts

Not to be a dick or anything, but if you do not have the knowledge to build it, chances are you do not have the knowledge to maintain it.

But to try and help you out, get the owner to be more specific on what is done to it. Do a compression check as well as a leak down test as well.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:11 PM
Registered member

RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask RandomTask

Generally on stuff like that, if they did it themselves, the cleanliness of the install would be a good sign of how the car is maintained. If it looks shottily put together, the builder doesn't care about it that much / didn't put that much money into it. (most likely causing shortcuts and lack of maintanence) check shaft play, brand of equipment they chose.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:24 PM
Type-R; Tight Car

The real Ryan has disabled reputation

Chris, I'm Pm'ing you about this POS....
Old 01-17-2007, 05:35 PM
ROOя

O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly? O Rly?

Well-i see you have a civic-drop that 3500 into that....call it a day
Old 01-17-2007, 05:51 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt DickButt

Originally Posted by ritz
That sounds like a lot of car for $3500. What's the motor set-up? Did the owner build the car themselves or did they have a shop do it? Remember if it sounds too good to be true then it probably is.
the motor is a b18b i believe, it may be a b18a. the owner did not build the car himself, i believe a shop did. he claims to have receipts for everything. it definitly sounds too good to be true, and from a pm i just got it sounds like it is.
Old 01-17-2007, 05:52 PM
DEY SEE ME TROLLIN

Originally Posted by slo_acord95
Well-i see you have a civic-drop that 3500 into that....call it a day
auto....

Quick Reply: What to look for when buying a fully built car?