Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

What kinda bull$h!t???

Old 12-02-2003, 01:58 PM
MVP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz
Default What kinda bull$h!t???

What are the laws regarding traffic lights? I just got a ticket for running an amber light??? I asked the cop why I wasnt allowed to go through the intersection and she said its the law. I thought red meant stop. Is there some kind of law stating that you are supposed to stop at a yellow light? I think I am gonna go to court for this one. I hate paying fines
Old 12-02-2003, 02:04 PM
TSSSSSSSSSSS

MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos MSeunos

yes actually. your pretty much supposed to stop unless its impossible to. is it a big deal? no. should he have pulled you? maybe not but i wasnt there. generally if ur behind where the lines go solid before the intersection u can stop.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:06 PM
Large Member

phooka has disabled reputation

waitaminute. I thought yellow meant downshift and floor it!???
Old 12-02-2003, 04:45 PM
DA LEPRAHKAHNZ GOLLD

TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt TheGentleArt

i just got my license like 7-9 months ago

yes you can get a ticket for running a yellow light.

93Eunos was right, if you are before the solid white line you should stop, if a cop pulls you for running a yellow light, the best thing to do is say "sorry i thought i couldn't stop in time, but if its the law, ill take the ticket" and fight it in court, under the cirumstance of not being able to stop in time. but GL
Old 12-02-2003, 04:57 PM
AR ES EX

lindsey has disabled reputation

OK, I learned this in a driver improvement course this summer... Your car had better be out of the intersection by the time that light turns red. So if you run a yellow light, and actually see it turn red as you drive through even if you're almost to the other side, that's illegal. You have to totally be clear of the intersection. The lights are timed so that a person doing the marked speed limit can safely make it to the other side of the intersection even if the light is turning yellow as they enter the intersection. So you probably got the ticket fair and square. And if you actually ever saw the signal turn red even as you were going under it, that's definitely illegal
Old 12-02-2003, 05:06 PM
Smart Dumb cats

SHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond reputeSHUT UP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by lindsey
The lights are timed so that a person doing the marked speed limit can safely make it to the other side of the intersection even if the light is turning yellow as they enter the intersection
thats bullshit. Ive watched yellow lights stay on for 1 sec then go red. Not just small but big intersections also.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:08 PM
Registered Member

93Accord2.2 is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm taking behind-the wheel now. My instructor says, that you can get a ticket for speeding to beat an amber light. So she has us let off the accelerator. If it turns yellow after we pass the second arrow, she says accelerate hard(since we lost speed), so we're not speeding. I don't know, but wanna clear this up. So, I guess it just depends on exactly how the light was ran, and the judge. Though I agree you should go to court pleading that you couldn't stop in time. Depending on the speed you were driving of course.
Old 12-02-2003, 06:18 PM
MVP Member

ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz ChvyOnDubz

Well i was pulling out of of a shopping center and hit the solid bar going across the lane when it turned yellow. She said it turned red as I was under the light. I was like "How is that running the light". What a bitch
Old 12-02-2003, 08:02 PM
AR ES EX

lindsey has disabled reputation

Originally posted by ChvyOnDubz
Well i was pulling out of of a shopping center and hit the solid bar going across the lane when it turned yellow. She said it turned red as I was under the light. I was like "How is that running the light". What a bitch
That's what I'm talking about, it was red as you were under the light, so you weren't totally clear of the intersection. It sucks, but that's the law.
Old 12-02-2003, 08:03 PM
Captain night owl

vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger vasponger

coming home from school some guy was waiting to turn in the middle of the intersection and a cop was behind him at the line, light turned red and the car went and the cop did nothing