Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Wet sand, polish and wax or... to re paint???

Old 06-29-2007, 03:11 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT Jason300zxTT
Default Wet sand, polish and wax or... to re paint???

Hey guys, my 300zx needs a little help. Previous owner of the car over filled the tank and looks like the gas oxodized the paint. Here is a few pics of the issue i need fixed asap. What do you guys think i need to do?

here it is all dry

here it is with a little water in the middle

here it is all wet

Old 06-29-2007, 04:18 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts
Default Re: Wet sand, polish and wax or... to re paint???

Try some 3M Finesse it II on a foam pad and orbital polisher. That should do the trick, if it doesn't take some 1000-1500 grit sand paper, wet sand the area briefly, then polish it back to a shine. Easy fix.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:16 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Originally Posted by XCELR8
Try some 3M Finesse it II on a foam pad and orbital polisher. That should do the trick, if it doesn't take some 1000-1500 grit sand paper, wet sand the area briefly, then polish it back to a shine. Easy fix.
Old 06-29-2007, 05:37 PM

s2k7 has disabled reputation

Wet sand it with 2000! This being your first time I'm assuming you'll want to go a lighter grit. Also, that stock paint is old, and probably not much clear on it as well, so you don't want to risk burning through it.

Orbital buffers are poop, I don't like to use them they lean more towards Polishing and aren't aggressive at all. Especially for getting something like that out. Circular is the hot bizz and makes for a wayyyyyyyyyyyy better cut and polish.

Finesse it products, even their II generation ones, are outdated. You'll get much better results if you go with 3M's Perfect It 3000 line. If it were me buffing that, Id use their rubbing compound (Product number 06062) With their white foam pad (05723) Then I'd follow up with their Swirl Mark remover (06064) and their Black foam pad (05725)
Old 06-29-2007, 06:22 PM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

repaint that shit.but you might be able to get away with what has been suggested. but you need a buffer with some torque thats gonna create some heat, but not too much cause youll burn through.you need to know what your doing, but it cant really get any worse than what it looks like now. those pep boys orbitals most likely wont cut through that at all, and if it does. you wont be able to remove the sand scratches cause it doesnt have enough torque to heat the top coat up to bring back to a solid surface with a shine. nates suggestion of white and black pads will be the most effective. i personally try to stay away from rubbing compound if i can but it looks like your gonna need it.

Last edited by MORE IMPATIENT; 06-29-2007 at 06:26 PM.
Old 06-29-2007, 10:46 PM
Srsly.

Brock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these partsBrock Obama is infamous around these parts

I've used an orbital polisher for wet sanding multiple times with good success.

Or course a circular polisher is much more powerful, but it's also not really the tool for a beginner IMO.
Old 07-01-2007, 05:43 PM
Registered Member

QuickV6 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by XCELR8
I've used an orbital polisher for wet sanding multiple times with good success.

Or course a circular polisher is much more powerful, but it's also not really the tool for a beginner IMO.
When it has to do anything with cleaning a car Brock is the one to talk to. He will never steer you wrong.