Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

VW guys..a few questions..

Old 05-28-2003, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Darren94 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up VW guys..a few questions..

i am thinking of buying a gti. like 2002 or used 2003. my question is which is better 1.8t or vr6?.. i know that the turbos gain more power from mods and are eaiser to add hp. but how is the vr6? and how accepting are these motors to nitrous?..i really want one but cant decide between the two motors..any advice is welcome!
Old 05-28-2003, 12:07 PM

scironzts is an unknown quantity at this point

depends on what you plan to do with it. don't forget the weight difference between motors will play a role in how the car handles as well. the 1.8t will be great for quick gains of power through electronic and turbo upgrades, but the vr6 will be better excepting of long term gains (turbo, porting, etc.). it's all a matter of how extreme you plan to go with your modding and what your overall goals for the car are.
Old 05-28-2003, 12:22 PM
Corrado Butcher

G60ING is an unknown quantity at this point

well I was just went out to luch with the master tech at CF and my friend who is a tech at CF and they both agreed that the 24V VR6 is underrated in the HP/TQ by VW and has more then the claimed figures of 200hp/180tq. Also the powerband is so broad and refined its just very enjoyable.

The 1.8T is a great motor but requires a chip, diverter valve, N75 valve before it can equal the VR6 and then its tempered a little differently then the 1.8T. Drive both and decide for yourself.

www.sloweracing.com is the local upsolute chipper and custom fabricator for VW parts. He made my air to water IC
Old 05-28-2003, 12:57 PM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

building on what some others said, its all in what you want... ive noticed that alot of 1.8T people gain hp easily by simple mods, a real strong engine in addition to being lighter then the vr6. The vr6 however is a 6 cylinder and does have the better lower end power... its really all in what your looking for.. one thing im really not sure on is the gas milage... is the car going to be a daily driver? this has been a big debate among many vw owners... look around on www.vwvortex.com for some good points on the two engines as well...
Old 05-28-2003, 05:30 PM

well, i went to the vw dealer today and saw the 03 gti speical edition. 18 inch wheels 6 spd, body lip all the way around, lowered, recaro racing seats and 1.8t... this is what i am going to get..as soon as my car comes out of the body shop and i sell it.. i am hooked on the speical edition.. i am in love with it..but as far as mods go.. full exhaust(turbo back), bov(of course ), front mount intercooler, 1.8t super chip, and 55 shot into the intercooler...but like i said ...gotta sell my car first

mispost

mispost
Old 05-28-2003, 05:49 PM

ok, why did it post that 3 times when i clicked it once??
Old 05-28-2003, 06:11 PM
Corrado Butcher

G60ING is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Darren94
well, i went to the vw dealer today and saw the 03 gti speical edition. 18 inch wheels 6 spd, body lip all the way around, lowered, recaro racing seats and 1.8t... this is what i am going to get..as soon as my car comes out of the body shop and i sell it.. i am hooked on the speical edition.. i am in love with it..but as far as mods go.. full exhaust(turbo back), bov(of course ), front mount intercooler, 1.8t super chip, and 55 shot into the intercooler...but like i said ...gotta sell my car first
why not just wait for the R32 to to come out that is an AWD 240+HP VR6. But I too like the 1.8T. The 20 AE has big brakes and vented rear disks too just like the 337

Last edited by G60ING; 05-28-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 05-28-2003, 06:42 PM
common person

callsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to beholdcallsdubs is a splendid one to behold

you'd better hope your car gets out of the body shop fast...only because the 20th anniversary gti's are selling hella fast.

good luck getting one!

Quick Reply: VW guys..a few questions..