Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Vtec into a non Vtec car

Old 09-16-2009, 03:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96slow6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Vtec into a non Vtec car

Ok. I have a few questions. I am new to working on a honda obviously so this things may seem simple or obvious to you.

I Drive an 03 Z06 vette so chevy is my main knowledge base.

Ok so to the point.

I am helping a buddy swap out the engine from an 02 civic ex non vtec 1.7L. He ordered an engine on line and the new engine is from an 03 car and is a Vtec engine. I know the transmission and everything will swap. Its a 5 speed car. My questions are:

1. Will the engine work simply by installing it and not worrying about the vtec solenoid but leaving it installed?

2. Do I have to wire in the Vtec solenoid?

3. If I have to use the Vtec do I need the ECU from an 03?

4. If I do not have to use the Vtec do I need to swap over the injectors from the original engine?

I figure you guys are getting the idea at this point. I am just wondering what his options are at this point.

Thanks in advance for any help you folks can offer.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:17 PM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello
Default Re: Vtec into a non Vtec car

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but you may need the ECU from the vtec car and you'll need to wire up the vtec solenoid...
Old 09-16-2009, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

I also may be wrong, but I think the engine will go into "safe" mode w/o the correct ECU?
Old 09-16-2009, 04:20 PM
Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply. Thats kind of what I was afraid of. I had hoped he could get by and do the ecu and wire up the soleniod later. Hopefully some one has some more input on it.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:22 PM
Registered Member

All the harness connections are the same. Its just the soleniod that is different. Well that and I am guessing the pressure switch mounted on the soleniod housing.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

get the 03 vtec ecu, get the plug for the vtec sol. off of a 03 harness, run a wire from ecu pin to vtec sol., may have a different plug on the dizzy to but im not sure about that.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Registered Member

BatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these partsBatEclipse99 is infamous around these parts

Let some of the Honda engine swapping guru's chime in before you go out and buy an ecu thou.
Old 09-16-2009, 04:28 PM
tits anyone?

I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.) I Love (.)(.)

you could prob run the ecu you have now on the vtec motor and just have a CEL, but again im not 100% sure
Old 09-16-2009, 04:29 PM
tits anyone?

Originally Posted by BatEclipse99
Let some of the Honda engine swapping guru's chime in before you go out and buy an ecu thou.
you still need a vtec ecu to have the vtec operating
Old 09-16-2009, 04:30 PM
tits anyone?

I am 100% sure of that

Quick Reply: Vtec into a non Vtec car