Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Volvo experts, your help is needed

Old 07-14-2006, 07:26 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BillyXB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volvo experts, your help is needed

im looking to buy a 1996 850 wagon for my fiance within the next couple days from this online seller.

we went to go check it out and he wants $2400 for it...

i guess ill start listing the info about it, and i need your feedback and maybe your opinions and guidance.

the body is completely perfect! not a single dent or anything. for it being a 1996 i would completely agree that it looks just as good as a brand new car. its absolutely gorgeous and the owner has done a well job keeping that maintained. the interior is just flawless. no rips or scratches. power everything

the bad:

engine has 241k on it. i know sometimes that doesnt mean anything in the volvo world, but the engine seemed to run quite well. i think it could use a tune up and some belt tightening, but i dont know much. engine/exhaust was loud but pick up was pretty fine, except when the ac was on. which is usually normal i suppose.

some of the electrical on the inside needs to be fixed. the head light button goes straight in and out loosely and can be a small hassle for it to correctly turn the lights on. it seems like a small short or something. a couple bulbs behind the dash are burned out..

and the last and final issue is the front suspension. it sounds like the bushings bc whenever we go over bumps you can hear it kinda clunk and move around some

and thats about it. the car runs fine and looks absolutely amazing for it being 10 years old... i need some insight from other volvo owners and some experts. were probably going to make the decision tomorrow

Old 07-14-2006, 07:33 AM
Registered Member

jdmism has disabled reputation
Default Re: Volvo experts, your help is needed

Just becareful...ask him where he got it serviced at and if it was ever serviced by Volvo. Just remember Volvo that year were made in Sweden so parts are still pretty expensive... Good Luck.
Old 07-14-2006, 07:48 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

Uh, I wouldn't say that parts are too expensive, especially in comparison to other european cars. You get what you pay for though. There are plenty of of other places you can get parts besides the stealership.

If the engine runs great with all those miles, don't be perturbed by the miles. Keep up with the necessary maintenance and you could probably go another 250k miles. It sounds just like the headlight button needs to be replaced.

With the car in such great condition, it sounds like a great deal. I've seen certain older volvos, also in great condition, go for about just as much if not more. If you decide to make the purchase, good luck, and welcome to the wonderful world of Volvos.

Last edited by growley; 07-14-2006 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-14-2006, 08:03 AM
Registered Member

thanks for the insight...

coming from you guys, whats a good site like forums to get some really good volvo info/tech stuff?

and also really good sites for prices on parts?
Old 07-14-2006, 08:07 AM
thermal efficiency

J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS J. O. BUDS

www.turbobricks.com
Old 07-14-2006, 10:14 AM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

Originally Posted by Rally Red 98
Heh, that forum seems to be getting more popular among people here. But it is indeed a great forum. Use the search function to the fullest on there.

www.fcpgroton.com
www.ipdusa.com

Those are a couple good parts places. You can get alot of parts off of ebay as well.

Also, where are you located?
Old 07-14-2006, 01:36 PM
Registered Member

Norfolk...near downtown