Notices
Automotive Discussion Automotive talk that is not technical can be posted here. Posts must address the general population.

Viper Sets New Ring Record

Old 09-15-2011, 12:12 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn secretnoforn
Default Viper Sets New Ring Record

This is bound to start some controversy, but the results are in!

Dodge Viper ACR Posts 7:12 Nurburgring Lap Time
Ben Timmins on September 15 2011 8:05 AM

The Chevrolet Corvette ZR1 and Lexus LFA are used to eating other sports cars’ lunch, but thanks to a record-breaking Nürburgring run by Dodge, they’re now eating something else: the 2010 Dodge Viper ACR’s dust.

ViperClub reports that the final time for the Viper ACR was just over 7:12, which beats the Lexus’ lap time at the Nürburgring Nordschleife by about two seconds and gives it the major automaker production car lap record. The time is also ten seconds less than the ACR’s previous lap time, which was set back in 2008.

The record was set thanks to a cooperation between three parties: Dodge’s Special Racing Team provided the driver, and Texas Dodge dealership Tomball Dodge provided two showroom-new 2010 Viper ACRs, which were prepped by German racing team Mintgen Motorsport/Vulkan Racing.

A 7:12 is good enough to vault the 2010 Viper ACR to the top of the heap of major automaker production cars, which means the Viper ACR beat out competitors like the Porsche 911 GT2 RS, Chevrolet Corvette ZR1, and the Lexus LFA Nürburgring. The only production cars that best the Viper ACR are the Gumpert Apollo and Radical SR8, which both have extremely limited production runs.

Read more: http://wot.motortrend.com/dodge-vipe...#ixzz1Y3OfbWBq
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM
Havoc

Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong Sun Wukong
Default Re: Viper Sets New Ring Record

Didnt the stock LFA run a 7:38?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:41 PM
Forcibly Repped

Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu Niburu

so we should give a shit about this why?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Niburu
so we should give a shit about this why?
Everybody was all gung ho two months ago when the ZR1 did it and it had it's own thread. So why can't the viper?
Old 09-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Jive Turkey

POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM POS DSM

That's pretty impressive. I remember in the 08 run the driver said he could have pushed it a lot harder. Wonder if they changed anything between the '08 and '10
Old 09-15-2011, 12:52 PM
S a D u B

JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW JROW

Controversy? Why? Viper had last record, zr-1 beat it, so what do you expect? I think it's sweet, and that viper looks badass.

When did lf-a ever hold the record, or did I read that wrong?

Edit: I see lf-a and gt2 both beat zr-1 and viper has crushed all. Wow.

Last edited by JROW; 09-15-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:59 PM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

What should be impressive is that a clunky truck-engined American sports car beat the ultra-gimmicky, best of Japan $400,000 Lexus. Yes, the 2010 ACR had a few changes.....mostly gearing and some aero. Trust me, I'm no bandwagon fan........but sometimes simplicity overrides electrical wizardry. Curious what the new Viper will have.....I just hope they don't pussify it.

Last edited by Rich; 09-15-2011 at 01:02 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:03 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by Rich
What should be impressive is that a clunky truck-engined American sports car beat the ultra-gimmicky, best of Japan $400,000 Lexus. Yes, the 2010 had a few changes.....mostly gearing and some aero. Trust me, I'm no bandwagon fan........but sometimes simplicity overrides electrical wizardry. Curious what the new Viper will have.....I just hope they don't pussify it.
I don't think dodge could even comprehend an LF-A like car though. I wonder if this will start a manufacturer war on the ring, that'd be dope.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:10 PM
$Level$

Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich Rich

Originally Posted by ShawnD
I don't think dodge could even comprehend an LF-A like car though. I wonder if this will start a manufacturer war on the ring, that'd be dope.
I don't think Lexus/Toyota could ever comprehend a Viper like car. As much as I like the Ring Wars, the times are not officially standardized/sanctioned to bring any true measurements. Good for bragging rights is about all it means to me. Track conditions can and do affect times significantly.......just glad to see Dodge had decent conditions for the run. This battle only helps bring cool shit to the consumers and I'm OK with that.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:29 PM
Troll & Run

ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD ShawnD

Originally Posted by Rich
I don't think Lexus/Toyota could ever comprehend a Viper like car. As much as I like the Ring Wars, the times are not officially standardized/sanctioned to bring any true measurements. Good for bragging rights is about all it means to me. Track conditions can and do affect times significantly.......just glad to see Dodge had decent conditions for the run. This battle only helps bring cool shit to the consumers and I'm OK with that.
The lfa is just a showcase car, it isn't a race car. Definitely not a Viper. But I think they could make a higher output car with less refinement if they wanted too.

Quick Reply: Viper Sets New Ring Record